S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: using an ecu and vcds to set timing?  (Read 2957 times)

February 26, 2015, 12:24:14 am

a2tdiguy

using an ecu and vcds to set timing?
« on: February 26, 2015, 12:24:14 am »
I've decided to sell my hoard of ecu's/wiring/pumps/alh parts to finance a rover pump and turbo upgrade for a 1z.  I'm keeping the vcds I had to buy to set timing on an ahu, and I have several 68 pin ecus,3rd injectors, and chopped harnesses. I see that HEY had used the crank sensor and injector sensor to monitor timing and iq?  I'm just wondering if this is a viable way to set static timing on a rover or aaz/1z hybrid pump, and if i can just use two sensors, plastic case ecu, obd2 port, and 12v/- . 

thanks for any input

Reply #1February 26, 2015, 12:50:16 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: using an ecu and vcds to set timing?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 12:50:16 am »
Far easier to just use a dial gauge on the Rover pump like you would with an IDI...
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2February 26, 2015, 02:17:32 am

a2tdiguy

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 02:17:32 am »
I've never owned a dial indicator, I've been using the  "push until it sounds like a bag of hammers, then back off a little" method, then adjust for cold starts. The aaz seemed to like it just fine, and I have the vcds, and engine already has harness on it.  I was also under the impression that the mechanical measurement wasn't necessarily accurate at least for setting timing on non rover mtdi pumps?  I was reading the pulse adapter thread.

Eventually I'll need to buy the correct tool to set a 4bt ve pump anyways, but the kick I get out of parking a mk2 tdi, with the tdi timing checker running, next the automakers tarped over/chess board/zebra camo/top secret/ next years model/ high altitude test caravan,....   

is priceless,

I was reminded of this a week or so ago when the pair of 2016 a4 tdi's were parked at the grocery store, and i was driving a 91 golf gasser with a geisha sticker across the hood,

i parked next door and walked to the grocery store

Reply #3February 26, 2015, 11:33:41 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 11:33:41 am »
The 'time by ear' method will get you in the ballpark.  If you're running an 'unknown' pump then yeah, the dial indicator isn't going to be of much use other than helping you know where the best timing was so you can reset it when you do your timing belt in the future.

Since I've got both a Rover pump and a pulse adapter I've been able to measure the Rover pump (at least the 300TDI version).  I think Andrew has measured the 4BT pumps with his pulse adapter too though, so he may have some good dial gauge numbers for them.

Oh I think I get what you mean now regarding using the ECU and existing sensors to measure the timing... You mean you want to set up the static timing with the mechanical pump, but still have the ECU connected, then use VCDS to measure the timing despite the ECU not being connected to the injection pump any more.  Provided the ECU is willing to share the information despite the list of fault codes cause by a missing injection pump I can't see why it wouldn't work.  In fact you'd be able to get a full graph showing how the pump you're using handles its advance through the entire rev range which is something we haven't seen on here yet.  I guess you'd really only have a couple fault codes since everything else would still be there...
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Fixmyvw.com