S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Oil In Coolant/White Smoke  (Read 4760 times)

February 26, 2015, 12:15:01 am

forbesthebrit

Oil In Coolant/White Smoke
« on: February 26, 2015, 12:15:01 am »
So i am having some issues and need help troubleshooting. I have a 1.6n/a engine code ME (hydraulic lifters) from an 87 jetta in my MK1 Rabbit. About a week ago i started getting a loud tapping and bad timing belt vibrations. I stopped driving it after this and on Sat. we found out that the crank sprocket had lost the notch in it and was moving slightly... we put a new one on and retimed the whole engine, along with setting the IP at .95. We also checked the compression of all my cylinders and they were at 520-400-520-480. After the retime everything was running really great. I also changed the oil and drained the coolant system and put in an old oil cooler that i had been given and that seemed to be in good condition. I drove it like this for the past 3 days (around 60-80 miles total), and the starts have been kind of jerky since it has been so cold (around 30-40 degrees) but it ran smooth as soon as it warmed up a bit. The today, while i was driving home from work i noticed quite a bit of white smoke coming from the tailpipe. Once i got home i opened the rad tank (i have a rad with the built in overflow) and it was full of oil. I drained everything and the coolant was brown and nasty. I also drained the oild and it didnt seem like it had coolant in it, but i cannot be sure. I pulled the oil cooler and swapped the oil filter tube back to the one for just an oil filter and put a new filter on without the oil cooler. I flushed the system twice and it was still a little brown, but not as bad. I also put fresh oil in. Does this sound like it was the oil oil cooler leaking? or a blown headgasket?

Reply #1February 26, 2015, 01:05:42 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Oil In Coolant/White Smoke
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 01:05:42 am »
oil cooler leaking.  You could test it with air on one side and plug the other and see if it hisses at you like a mean snake. 

Reply #2February 26, 2015, 02:23:22 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 02:23:22 pm »
I think there is a correlation between the "odd" engine sounds, the decreased compression (on that one hole....provided your measurement/test was accurate), and the sheared crank notch. To me...it is rather glaring. 
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #3February 26, 2015, 02:49:58 pm

forbesthebrit

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 02:49:58 pm »
I think there is a correlation between the "odd" engine sounds, the decreased compression (on that one hole....provided your measurement/test was accurate), and the sheared crank notch. To me...it is rather glaring. 

That's what i was afraid of...so you think it is the head gasket?

Reply #4February 26, 2015, 04:06:24 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 04:06:24 pm »
No, I'd say you made contact with the valve.
You really can't have the crank sprocket down there dancing to it's own "beat."
You may well have two problems going on.
This is a hyd. lifter engine and could well be a "chicken and egg" scenario: crank sprocket tab failure and then timing problem....or hyd. lifter seizes and leaves a valve somewhat open and works on the sprocket through the belt.

Granted you have 400 lbs in that hole. But, it is off from the rest......based upon your numbers.
Myself, I only run one hyd. engine anymore. And, I would like to get away form that one.
Food for thought.

Did you make ANY attempt to "launder" the oil cooler (which I ALSO do NOT run) prior to installation?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:21:21 pm by Dakotakid »
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #5February 26, 2015, 05:05:48 pm

forbesthebrit

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 05:05:48 pm »
No, I'd say you made contact with the valve.
You really can't have the crank sprocket down there dancing to it's own "beat."
You may well have two problems going on.
This is a hyd. lifter engine and could well be a "chicken and egg" scenario: crank sprocket tab failure and then timing problem....or hyd. lifter seizes and leaves a valve somewhat open and works on the sprocket through the belt.

Granted you have 400 lbs in that hole. But, it is off from the rest......based upon your numbers.
Myself, I only run one hyd. engine anymore. And, I would like to get away form that one.
Food for thought.

Did you make ANY attempt to "launder" the oil cooler (which I ALSO do NOT run) prior to installation?

I did pressure test the oil cooler with a vacuum pump before i put it in and it seemed alright, i just thought the heat and actual use may have broke it. A bent valve may be the culprit, i just thought since it sounded and ran great once we retimed the engine this weekend that i avoided messing anything up since i didn't drive it very far with it making the noises and when we pulled the valve cover and set it to TDC the camshaft was only a little off. Plus i figured i would have a lot lower compression than ~400 with a bent valve, even though it is 80 off the other lowest one... I have ordered a new head gasket and bolts, so hopefully i will get around to pulling the head either tonight or tomorrow and see what it all looks like.

Reply #6February 26, 2015, 08:14:47 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 08:14:47 pm »
Yah, if you find "kiss marks" on the top of that piston, a guy will sure have some other things to look at.

Does this hyd. camshaft still have nice smooth lobe surfaces or is it flaking anywhere on the lobes as so many of the hydr. cams do, due to poor hardened surfaces? If flaking is present, those lifters may have been experiencing some "bad vibes" (so to speak) (pun-ski intended).

The verdict will be exciting!
Edit: By the way, what does the end of your crank look like now? Anything like the guy who posted at the very top of the general section today? Or worse? That's something else you need to be thinking about as well.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:24:29 pm by Dakotakid »

Reply #7February 27, 2015, 02:26:07 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 02:26:07 pm »
if your going to save the head; id park-it and see if you dont want to get it checked out before you run it too much. the 'key' breaking is a real bad sign and any engine ive had that had a valve touch wont run for much more than 1/2hr, and then ppphhtt you lose your belt and look inside you lose a lot more, right now you prob have marks on the tops of pistons, id say stop the bleeding and dont run. your bill can get bigger if you do.

S-PAutomotive.com