S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Vanomo and the nicest used car I've ever bought!  (Read 1933 times)

February 09, 2015, 10:44:58 pm

mammonista

• Junior

Vanomo and the nicest used car I've ever bought!
« on: February 09, 2015, 10:44:58 pm »
I've had a bunch of VW(Audi) diesels starting with a '79 Rabbit diesel I bought used in 1991.  Then it was an '81 Audi 5000 diesel, followed by an '84 Quantum turbo diesel, an '81 Caddy diesel (which I swapped a 1.6 turbo diesel into, an '82 Vanagon diesel (which I swapped a turbo diesel into), and my current ride, what started as an '87 Vanagon.  Long story short the earlier van got rear-ended/totalled and the insurance money allowed me to buy the '87 Van and enough to buy a Canadian AAZ motor and turbo.
Then about three years ago I took an air saw to the Van and created "Van-no-mo".  The job is only about 80% done and will hopefully be finished this summer.
About two months ago I spotted an '83 Jetta diesel coupe which was in pretty much pristine condition.  The Jetta was originally a turbo diesel but a previous owner replaced that motor with a 1.6NA. The car also has an automatic transmission. Talk about rare - and slow! (still it's a lot faster than that old Audi 5000).  At any rate I plan on replacing the 1.6 with a TDI-m in the near future along with a 5-speed trans. I'm shooting for about 130-150hp which should be a fun ride in a car that tips the scales at less than 2,000 pounds.

If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway!

Reply #1February 10, 2015, 09:03:16 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: Vanomo and the nicest used car I've ever bought!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 09:03:16 am »
neat cars man, i miss my old automatic diesel mk1
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

S-PAutomotive.com