Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6 NA Jetta vs 1.6 NA Jetta w/ Giles' Super pump  (Read 3985 times)

March 30, 2006, 08:01:47 pm

2mAn

1.6 NA Jetta vs 1.6 NA Jetta w/ Giles' Super pump
« on: March 30, 2006, 08:01:47 pm »
History:
me and my buddy ricky (4ork) are very competitve and every since we've both had mk1 jetta diesels we are always trying to prove whos is better. Well, he had challenged me to race months ago when we first got em and i declined (i got mine a day before he got his). Finally after a few months and a few mods we lined em up.....

This weekend:
 I have to start by saying that 2 NA diesels racing is pure comedy, a jeep grand cherokee killed both of us :lol: but anyways my jetta coupe with Giles' Super pump easily pulled him on each and every gear we went through. I could hold each gear longer and rev higher than his 4door and by third gear i was well ahead of him. I hope i finally have convinced him (and others) to get the pump because i have been telling him to since the first day i drove mine with it.

The diesel:
a stock 84 coupe riding on h&r springs & boge shocks, 15" bbs' and the Giles Super pump.This thing runs like a champ. Future mods are going to be a ported head (once i finish my rabbit), but hopefully before that ill be able to pick up a TTuning 2.25" exhaust, dual downpipe, and the mk2 NA diesel intake manifold. im only shooting for 80-90 bhp, but someone just said they've heard about a 1.6 NA diesel with 150bhp!!!! thats insane, id love to build that if its true....

Reply #1March 30, 2006, 08:17:37 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 08:17:37 pm »
I enjoyed reading your post :)

It sounds like you're on the right path for improving NA airflow. You might also want to consider a camshaft upgrade. IIRC the lift on the 1.6 cam is smaller than the 1.9's.. there's room for improvement.

I have a hard time believing the 150bhp 1.6 NA unless he ran nitrous. Giles' fuel inj. pump with LDA can provide more than enough fuel for 150bhp. It just needs a boost in air - either from a turbo or nitrous or whatever.

So if you want lots more power then have Giles add an LDA on your pump and do a few pump mods then hook up a nitrous system! But you'd also need a 1.9L TD headgasket and perhaps ARP or Raceware head studs.

Or just have a local shop install a LDA (cheaply salvaged from a broken TD pump) and use a small shot nitrous system. It may not make 150bhp but it'll be more reliable on the engine and the nitrous will last longer between fills.

Note: The nitrous sytem is to be plumbed to the LDA (in the same way it's plumbed to the intake manifold) so that the LDA will sense nitrous pressure and bam, more fuel while you hold the N20 solenoid switch.

The standard NA flow mods that you mentioned will still be nice to do.
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #2March 30, 2006, 10:47:19 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 10:47:19 pm »
i have a race lined up with a diesel rabbit, haven't got around to racing him yet though, he lives too far away, and and i always gotta work, so theyt hink i'm chicken, but i'm not it won't hurt my feelings to lose, i've lost to every other car i raced.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Fixmyvw.com