Author Topic: 1.6 td fuel problem  (Read 6552 times)

January 20, 2015, 08:23:24 am

Familydiesel

• Junior

1.6 td fuel problem
« on: January 20, 2015, 08:23:24 am »
Hi, after 5 yrs, I finally got my rebuilt 1.6 td engine started.  However, when it starts, it immeditately runs smoothish but then starts sputtering and dies no matter the throttle position.  I've primed the pump and each injector is getting fuel. But no matter the throttle position, it runs the same. I did pressurize the tank with return line disconnected and plugged in order to get fuel to the injection pump.  Also, I resealed the pump during the rebuild and was very clean and careful, but this pump came with the used engine I bought and I have never run it or tested it.  Also, I forgot to run fuel throught the fuel line before I hooked it up to the injection pump.  The fuel has been sitting in the tank for about 5 yrs.   Does it sound like I have dirt in the injection pump or what do you think is causing the fuel problem? bad injection pump? Something else?  The injectors have been professionally rebuilt.
Thanks for your input.

1980 Diesel td pickup, Love that Diesel!

Reply #1January 20, 2015, 08:05:47 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: 1.6 td fuel problem
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:05:47 pm »
Fuel starvation is the most likely cause. Do you have clear supply and return lines? If not you're gonna need 'em.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2January 20, 2015, 08:43:23 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 08:43:23 pm »
Try priming the pump again, but run it off a container with clean fuel in it.  Cycle the line to the tank back into the container after you pump a liter or so into another.  This should get the crappy fuel out of the equation as well as the fuel filter and lines to the tank.  If the engine runs smooth on the good fuel than start thinking about fuel filter replacement, fuel tank drainage and line clearing with air to prevent fuel starvation. 

I bet the engine runs fine on a container of fuel off the normal system.  Your post says it already did. 

Reply #3January 20, 2015, 10:34:38 pm

Familydiesel

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 10:34:38 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts.  I think my post was a bit misleading in that from the very first when the engine started firing, it never ran well or long.  Good idea to try the container.  I will try this before I take the injection pump off and to the injection service.  I hope it is a fuel delivery problem, it would be a lot simpler for sure.  I will try, then post again.  My fall back is to remove the injection pump and take it to get serviced.  The kicker is that I don't know how well the pump ran before I bought it.  So, I could have a faulty pump.  But, we'll see.  thanks.

Reply #4February 01, 2015, 01:53:23 am

Familydiesel

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 01:53:23 am »
ROCoaster, thanks for the thoughts.  I tried the canned diesel test and it ran better, but still had a miss.  thought the turbo spooled up nice, which made things more exciting.  This is the first turbo I have ever had on a vw diesel engine.  I decided to take off the injection pump and injectors and gave them to the local injection guys to check out.  I have great compression, but think it is a fuel problem.  Now, however, I am having second thoughts about sending the injection pump locally, since it may cost me near what I could have gotten a Giles modified pump for... aaaah.  Oh well.  I will post again when I get the pump and injectors back. 

Reply #5February 02, 2015, 08:40:43 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 08:40:43 pm »
yea, if its not gummed up injector(s); your fuel system was sitting for 5yrs? something in there is gummed up. changed fuel filter?before you got it started?
running a few courses of purge may help. 1 from that container you used.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:45:27 pm by air-cooled or diesel »

Reply #6February 02, 2015, 08:59:19 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 08:59:19 pm »
  I tried the canned diesel test and it ran better, but still had a miss. 
diesels arent supposed to miss, so if its a fuel problem, it can miss, and you clear up the miss, otherwise a miss can/may lead to catastrophic failure.(<be an indicator of a)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:04:53 pm by air-cooled or diesel »

Reply #7February 03, 2015, 11:27:21 am

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 11:27:21 am »
The fuel has been sitting in the tank for about 5 yrs. 
in anycase you've got to get rid of that old fuel, even if you have to drain it thru the water separator, fresh fuel w/conditioner, or add a can of purge(lubro-moly), after running straight lubro- thru that container you used and let it idle for a few, add more purge if you need to and try to rev it up some.
1 can to a full tank, or ratio, 1/2 can to 1/2 tank. when draining all the fuel its possible to clog up the small filter in fuel tank.

Reply #8February 03, 2015, 01:10:27 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 01:10:27 pm »
How long did you let it run? it can take a few minutes to purge the air out of the IP... until then, the engine can miss.

Also, air can enter the IP when running through the main seal. A clear line on the output can validate if air intrusion is an issue. A leaking main seal is VERY common.

Diesel fuel rarely goes bad. It has no volitiles to speak of and can sit for years (but bacteria can possibly form).

Reply #9February 04, 2015, 04:00:36 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 04:00:36 pm »
Fuel starvation is the most likely cause. Do you have clear supply and return lines? If not you're gonna need 'em.
Yeah clear fuel line are easy to suggest putting on,.. but seem to be hard to actually install or even confirm you heard the suggestion.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #10February 05, 2015, 03:26:45 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 03:26:45 pm »
I highly doubt there is anything wrong with your fuel.
Tyler

S-PAutomotive.com