Author Topic: looking for where or how to find the tranny code on an auto 010 Mk1 or Mk2 trans  (Read 3049 times)

December 25, 2014, 11:37:01 am

SR Heer

• Junior

I am looking to mate an ABA up to a TL or TJ - 010 auto in an 84 Jetta -  but I have not been able to decipher or tell how to distinguish what trans I might be looking at - what is with these auto transmissions - I cannot find where to look for the tranny or ident code such as TL or TJ - all I know is it is not where the 020 specific tranny codes are located. Does anyone know where to or how to look this info up? Does one have to compare the tranny PN with a parts list to see what it is or is there actually a TL or TJ code stamped on it somewhere? Thanks!

97 Passat 1Z, 98 Jetta AHU, 91 Jetta AAZ TD, and 81 Rabbit Pickup

Reply #1December 25, 2014, 02:16:28 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
It's stamped on there. I think it's on the top by the bell housing or speedo cable.
Tyler

Reply #2December 25, 2014, 08:17:25 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Im pretty sure its on the bottom of the bellhousing like an 020.  Also i am 99% sure an 010 wont work on an aba because the back of the block is shaped differently so the starter wont fit.  I remember someone fitting one on to a 1.8t with some type of aftermarket starter,  it was over on vwvortex.  Id love to see u do this the mk1 autos are fun for some reason
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #3December 25, 2014, 09:51:38 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
I tried putting a 010 on an AAZ and it wouldn't fit with the diesel starter. I think the gas one fit. It's worth checking though.
Tyler

Fixmyvw.com