S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: no accelerator response on engine that has been sitting...  (Read 4372 times)

March 28, 2006, 04:59:41 pm

purvisgs

• User+

no accelerator response on engine that has been sitting...
« on: March 28, 2006, 04:59:41 pm »
This is fo an 80's audi 5 cyl na diesel that was last registered in 94.  It was supposedly parked w/ a bad clutch slave cylinder, so I have some reason for hope..

After flushing out the old fuel, new injectors, a bit of priming, messing around, to my suprise she started right up from a fuel bottle,

lots of smoke which I expected (I primed the ip with a mix of atf and diesel)

But nothing at all happens when I push the accelerator (or throttle linkage on ip)

I let it run for about 2 minutes, the rpm's gradually increased and blackish smoke increased, but still no throttle response.

The ip sat with fuel in it which I flushed out, seems to be pumping ok to all the injectors, I replaced the injectors because I had good used ones, ip timing is dialed in...

I am stumped,  any suggestions, thoughts?

Thank You!
Greg

Reply #1March 29, 2006, 11:07:08 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: no accelerator response on engine that has been sitting.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 11:07:08 pm »
Quote from: "purvisgs"
This is fo an 80's audi 5 cyl na diesel that was last registered in 94.  It was supposedly parked w/ a bad clutch slave cylinder, so I have some reason for hope..

After flushing out the old fuel, new injectors, a bit of priming, messing around, to my suprise she started right up from a fuel bottle,

lots of smoke which I expected (I primed the ip with a mix of atf and diesel)

But nothing at all happens when I push the accelerator (or throttle linkage on ip)

I let it run for about 2 minutes, the rpm's gradually increased and blackish smoke increased, but still no throttle response.

The ip sat with fuel in it which I flushed out, seems to be pumping ok to all the injectors, I replaced the injectors because I had good used ones, ip timing is dialed in...

I am stumped,  any suggestions, thoughts?

Thank You!
Greg

did you by mistake switch the in banjo bolt with the out banjo bolt on the pump?
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #2March 31, 2006, 12:05:51 am

purvisgs

• User+

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 12:05:51 am »
I know that I didn't because I never removed it, and I am pretty shure that I remember seeing "OUT" on the return one, but I will double check just to make shure...

thanks!,  any other ideas?

Reply #3March 31, 2006, 09:13:53 am

wyldman

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 09:13:53 am »
Sounds like the pump may be gummed up inside.Try running some straight diesel treat or ATF through it to see if it will free up.
Auto Proformance Services - VW Diesel parts and service
(416)565-7282

Reply #4March 31, 2006, 02:57:59 pm

shwartzbewithyou

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 02:57:59 pm »
Check the air flow side of things? (ie. filter, intake, etc..)

Reply #5April 01, 2006, 01:03:46 am

purvisgs

• User+

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 01:03:46 am »
thanks for the ideas-  the out banjo bolts are ok and i did already run about a 50-50 mix of atf / diesel through it... didn't seem to make a difference.  should I run more through it?

It's putting out such a big cloud of black smoke that I am a bit scared to run it for more than about 20 seconds at a time-

anything specifically that could be going on in the ip that would cause this type of (lack of) throttle response?

no air filter in right now, nothing looked out of the ordinary, anything specifically I should look for (Im pretty shure it is getting enough air, it is not a turbo)

thank you,
greg

Reply #6April 03, 2006, 11:31:58 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 11:31:58 pm »
i had a pump once do somethin like this,,it was running good,then started smoking like you described,,and even quit, ran like crap,i towed it home,and a few hours later,it started up and never gave me a problem again :?: usually lazy throttle response can be a suction side problem,,but it smokes bad,so probably not that,,,,,,let the atf cocktail clear out of it,run it out of a can,,just diesel,,,,see if itll clear up
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #7April 05, 2006, 01:13:16 pm

purvisgs

• User+

it worked!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 01:13:16 pm »
Well on about the 3rd time running atf through it, I tried spraying some omc outboard engine tuner into the intake, and after a bit of sputtering, !!!!!  All of a sudden, the rpms die down and I have an accelerator, it is running just great now!

I am thinking just something gummed up/ clogged up in the pump that the atf finally got to, but it did happen right when I put the "engine tuner" in the intake, so.....

thanks for the input!

S-PAutomotive.com