S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: AAZ Vanagon losing oil  (Read 13329 times)

Reply #75May 27, 2017, 04:03:29 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: AAZ Vanagon losing oil
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2017, 04:03:29 am »
I don't think that pump has proper timing control. It's more like a TDI pump where the internal pressure is constant and that solenoid you highlighted in red pulses to control the timing. Keep a close eye on EGTs and MPGs. I could be wrong. That's not a North American pump so I'm not very familiar with them.
Tyler

Reply #76May 28, 2017, 08:15:37 pm

RockOcean

• Junior

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2017, 08:15:37 pm »
I made it across the country with no problems. It is nice to not have to put oil in every 200 miles :~ )

I will post photos of the pistons and rings once I get settled in a few days. Is there any chance that it was not bored straight? And that caused the extreme wear on that top half of the cylinder wall.

Reply #77May 29, 2017, 01:37:53 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2017, 01:37:53 pm »
I made it across the country with no problems. It is nice to not have to put oil in every 200 miles :~ )

I will post photos of the pistons and rings once I get settled in a few days. Is there any chance that it was not bored straight? And that caused the extreme wear on that top half of the cylinder wall.
You got some real gnarly nads that's for sure - good on ya!
I suppose anything is possible but I believe when cylinders are bored, they are all quite parallel with each other unless someone moves something between bores. As I mentioned, my #4 bore looked very similar and it was due to over fueling/boosting while climbing a long grade as I had no EGT gauge and was using water temps to check heat - very bad idea. The silver stuff at the top of the bore is aluminum from your piston. My engine ran after that, and not too bad - just made enough unburnt fuel smoke to cloud a 4-lane freeway.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost