Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: NA IP difficult to turn gear by hand  (Read 3171 times)

November 06, 2014, 08:24:57 pm

FrankenDiesel

• Junior

NA IP difficult to turn gear by hand
« on: November 06, 2014, 08:24:57 pm »
Hey there,

I posted a few weeks back about a possible clogged/airbound na pump. I took some time off from the car, and started some side projects. Now that winter is coming, I want to try to get this thing running.

Anyways, I have a NA IP that I removed because of either it becoming airbound after my filter clogged with leftover bad gas crystals, or it became restricted inside the pump.

I was going to reinstall the delivery valves, and try this: Forcefeed the inlet, put lines from delivery valves and out into another tank, then turn over the pump with my drill or 1/2 drive electric impact.

When I tried with my 1/2 drive, the nut spins tight and the pump itself does not spin, it keeps tighting as if it would try to snap the nut. The gear is very hard to turn over (feels like turning over an engine, its got a tough spot then frees up as if it was on a compression stroke). I just want to confirm that this is abnormal so I can put this pump aside and get one that actually works.

Reply #1November 06, 2014, 09:44:30 pm

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pretty dumb for a smart guy
Re: NA IP difficult to turn gear by hand
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 09:44:30 pm »
Before the timing belt was on, I was able to turn the pump sprocket on my '84 with my bare hand. there's some resistance, and i have Big Burly Hands, but I'd rate it at about 1/2 pickle jar.

Reply #2November 06, 2014, 09:50:05 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:50:05 pm »
DoNot use an impact for this, your only impacting the nut to the shaft; loosen the nut quickly, it can ruin your threads. i used an air-rachet(3/8) to spin, and loosen the nut, this will over-tighten the nut too. a drill prob isnt enough power or rpm to do too much, if you get the squirters 'squirting' that should be a start though, bottle feed ip with atf i suppose, and run it thru for a bit and let soak, and do again until your satisfied; if you get that far,

Reply #3November 06, 2014, 11:55:12 pm

TimpanogosSlim

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pretty dumb for a smart guy
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 11:55:12 pm »
agreed, I didn't notice that an impact driver was used. they are renown for not turning the larger objects around fasteners. it's what they are for.

Reply #4November 07, 2014, 01:51:05 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 01:51:05 am »
you want 4 equal resistances  per rev, fighting the roller ramp does take a firm hand.

I welded a hook to the side of a socket that  catches a hole in the drive  gear, and pushes by that.  my reduction drill turns it OK, a hole hawg would probably do better.