Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Land Rover pump settings for bigger turbo  (Read 5133 times)

October 23, 2014, 11:30:28 am

smokeinmirrors

• User+

Land Rover pump settings for bigger turbo
« on: October 23, 2014, 11:30:28 am »
 I just installed a GT2052w turbo on my Landy pumped AHU, so I have turned the fuel quantity screw up in order to get the most out of the greatly increased boost. Right now the quantity screw is turned in far enough that the revs are just starting to hang slightly at high rpm, but I still have about 8mm worth of idle screw sticking out between the throttle stop and the casing.
 Am I right that if I want to further increase the fuel quantity without the revs hanging more I need to move my throttle lever counter clockwise on the splines and go from there?  Just looking for a confirmation of what I think I already know.

'86 Golf - AHU m-TDI, Garrett GT2052w

Reply #1October 23, 2014, 12:18:10 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Land Rover pump settings for bigger turbo
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 12:18:10 pm »
If the revs hang, your idle is too high.  Use up the idle adjustment before jumping the lever a spline.

Reply #2October 23, 2014, 12:30:07 pm

rodpaslow

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 12:30:07 pm »
Libby is correct, If you can't get it to stop hanging, then you have to jump a spline.  There is a point you will hit where the fuel screw gets extremely hard to turn and then you've hit the limit. 

I don't know if you've hit the limit with 8mm left - but if you still can't get where you want you may need to look at replacement, larger nozzles next.

I'd be interested in what specs you get with the 2052 as I just bought one and have not had time to install it yet - like where you get start of boost -approx rpm, etc.
99' 1.9 1Z Tdi, hybrid pump -1.9 housing & rover internals, 2052 wastegate turbo,.25 hflox nozzles, SDI intake, CTN tranny
96' 1.6 TD Golf, Giles pump, VNT 17, Gas changed to Diesel, Air to Water Int.

Reply #3October 23, 2014, 12:46:50 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 12:46:50 pm »
Have you changed anything in the LDA yet? From what I understand the stock LDA setting is fairly conservative.

Are you smoky?
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #4October 24, 2014, 02:17:06 pm

smokeinmirrors

• User+

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 02:17:06 pm »
 Ok, I just tried moving the lever one spline CCW on the shaft, then adjusting the Idle screw back up to the normal -+1K RPM, and from that point the revs would still hang with any increase in fuel screw. The car did not seam to run any stronger and the overall range of throttle was greatly reduced due to the idle screw being so far out. I just ended up putting everything back to how it was and now it has no problems.

Right now the idle screw is about 8mm out for a 1K RPM tickover, the fuel screw is turned to the very edge of the hanging point, and the spline is in the original Land Rover position. The governor spring is shimmed with I think 4mm worth of washers.

The pump does still have original LDA pin, but I have rotated it to the steepest profile position. Nozzles are Bosio DLC520, wich are basically .205 size euro AFN nozzles. I get a medium gray haze of smoke under max boost (30 psi @3000 rpm +).  I am very pleased with how it runs now, and this turbo definitely feels like a better fit for the engine than the K03 / GT15, but it still feels like the fueling is holding it back at this point, so it sounds like bigger nozzles should be in my future.

As far as the pump itself goes, setting the timing always seems to be a big compromise between good low rpm torque with low smoke, or good midrange power and fuel economy. Is there any way I can change the dynamic advance characteristics to give a wider advance range and have the best of both worlds?

Thanks as always for all input. ;D

Reply #5October 24, 2014, 02:21:30 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 02:21:30 pm »
1,000 rpms is too high for idle.  800-900 is where it should be at.  Again, if the revs hang, the idle is too high.  With the mk2 and later VW pumps with the extra fast/slow idle lever there's a little more adjustment potential to prevent hanging revs and give more idle adjustment.  Without that extra lever, you don't have any other options.  If the revs hang, lower the idle.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:24:01 pm by libbydiesel »

Reply #6October 24, 2014, 02:39:31 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 02:39:31 pm »
^^^^ What he said...

With the idle set that high you aren't actually idling using the idle spring, you are probably right at the bottom of the intermediate spring's range hence the hanging.  The Rover pumps have a pretty rock solid idle around 850-900 RPM, like you can let your clutch out on a hill and it'll pull you up at idle without dropping much below 800 RPM solid.  When I had mine set around 1K I had a number of odd issues with inconsistent idle speeds.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #7October 24, 2014, 06:38:03 pm

smokeinmirrors

• User+

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 06:38:03 pm »
Ok, thanks I didn't realize 1000 was high. I'll drop the idle and see what happens. I certainly prefer a nice casual tractor-like idle, I always just kept it high because of interior resonance issues, but I can get over that.

Reply #8October 24, 2014, 08:29:03 pm

smokeinmirrors

• User+

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 08:29:03 pm »
Problem solved. I couldn't stand it so I just went out in the dark and ran the fuel screw in some, then let the idle down to a leisurely 800rpm. Huge difference in power right away, it pegs the boost gauge very quickly, now has torque steer like never before, and all without even a hint of hanging. Just as was said, the idle is also rock steady at this rpm. All that's left is to see what the smoke looks like in the daylight, then maybe see how much more fuel I can get.
Thanks again!

Reply #9October 24, 2014, 08:32:03 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 08:32:03 pm »
Nice.  Congrats.

Fixmyvw.com