Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: **** Forum Changes ****  (Read 20980 times)

October 10, 2014, 04:03:38 pm

RedRotors

• Veteran

• http://www.mikrotuning.com
**** Forum Changes ****
« on: October 10, 2014, 04:03:38 pm »
Hi,

As anybody seen, the forum has been down for a while, this was due to a server change, and a new Admin. With my
time schedule overbooked with my 2 jobs, I have not been able to take care of the forum as I wanted.

I pass the torch to Ryan. He will pursue my goal to keep this forum open, with peace and it's own flavor like it's
been since more than 10 years now.

I'll be here time to time, but if anyone need to reach me, my email is easy to find.

cheers,
Marc

2k1 Golf TDI, 11mm pump, HFLOX Warp 5, VNT17, Wavetrac, 4" Lift
91' VW Golf Country
94' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 5 spds, 191's, 215hp injectors, SB Clutch
03' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 6 spds, MBPR 4 ", custom intake, Smarty Jr

-> www.mikrotuning.com <-
-> www.hflox.com <-

Reply #1October 10, 2014, 04:34:14 pm

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

• VDubShirts.com Awesome VW themed shirts with attitude
Re: **** Forum Changes ****
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 04:34:14 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I am Ryan for all of those who don't know me. I have a VW repair shop, Krauthouse Motorsports, and have worked with Marc to take over VWD to help keep it updated and growing. I have been a member of VWD for a while and a VW guy for well over 10 years.

I'll add some more info later on when I get some time. I have to rush to get my son from daycare right now.

Ryan
Check out www.vdubshirts.com for cool VW themed shirts with attitude.

Reply #2October 10, 2014, 09:32:42 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:32:42 pm »
Thank you for all you have contributed to vwdiesel Marc.

Ryan I'm happy to hear you are able to keep this show on the air.
Tyler

Reply #3October 11, 2014, 12:19:38 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 12:19:38 pm »
Big thanks to Red Rotors and to thegimpster. 

Reply #4October 11, 2014, 01:08:30 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 01:08:30 pm »
We are back up and running again,  GREAT!   And a great job you have done Marc, keep in touch.  Ryan all the best with the rest of us.  Thanks for stepping up like this.  Sometimes one just has to take a leap of faith.  Marc is doing that by passing the torch to you.

May we all get back to information sharing.  DAS

Reply #5October 11, 2014, 08:15:17 pm

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 08:15:17 pm »
Once everything gets settled in a bit I'll put a post or something up asking what you guys think VWD could use, what you guys would like changed or added, and what all I can do to make it a better place and help more people keep their VWs going.

I would like to do some project builds that cover things like tdi/idi swaps into vw and non vw cars, some test on wmo and wvo operation, engine rebuild guides and lots of how-to's that I can cover with work that comes through the shop. It will all take time, but I've got time.

Reply #6October 13, 2014, 09:01:59 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 09:01:59 am »
Can we get a 10.00/year paid membership to not see ads, if we want to be a paying member? I am on some other forums that do that and these ads have slowed the site down for me big time.

Reply #7October 13, 2014, 09:24:26 am

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 09:24:26 am »
I'm just playing with the ads right now to see what works, but that is a good idea. If people were interested in a payed membership option I would ad a lot more benefit to it than just ad removal, but that would take a little time too. Honestly I may have clicked a few too many check boxes and put 4 ads on a page, but I was playing with the settings late last night.

There are a lot of things that I would like to do to the site to make it better and add more information to it. Unfortunately some of those things cost money, and I am not independently wealthy. So please bear with me guys. I'ts going to be a bit of a learning curve and a trial and error period for a bit. And I'll probably screw stuff up once in a while and piss someone off over something somehow. I'm good at it it seems.

Any comments or ideas are welcome. I'll try to get a thread started about it in a bit.

I'm working on trying to get Tapatalk fixed at the moment. I'ts giving me some weird error on their side.

Ryan

Reply #8October 13, 2014, 09:53:44 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 09:53:44 am »
If we could just get the ads to go away on the comment section would be great. Come to see a new post and it is just an ad. The slowness stinks too but if I was only clicking on real posts I would not be waiting for nothing.

Reply #9October 13, 2014, 03:52:05 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 03:52:05 pm »
As far as I can tell, the ads don't register as a new comment.  I totally understand having the ads.  IMO, the forum shouldn't cost the owner to stay up and running.  I agree that having the 'opt out for a fee' option would be nice.   

Reply #10October 13, 2014, 09:06:17 pm

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 09:06:17 pm »
Yea I may work on putting that together. The ads arent a real money maker, but it will help pay for me to hopefully go to a dedicated server to make the site faster and maybe an SSL certificate for the site.

Looks like I'm going to have to work on blocking the spammers some more too.

I spent a good part of the day trying to get tapatalk working, but there seems to be an error getting the site linked to their site and I'm waiting to hear back from customer support.

Reply #11October 13, 2014, 11:25:24 pm

EcoTX

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 11:25:24 pm »
The site is very fast for me, always has been.
I've never had any issues with speed even when I visit fam and get on their 1.00 Mbit DSL line

Also I don't see any ads, so maybe the ads are what's slowing things down for people??

Here's my Speedtest  :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:56:37 am by EcoTX »

Reply #12October 15, 2014, 08:10:17 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 08:10:17 am »
Pm me when ads go away... And if that requires money, remove my account...

Reply #13October 15, 2014, 11:23:15 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 11:23:15 am »
I think you could delete all of the 'Moved to:XXXX' threads.  I think everyone looking for a particular thread would understand that you are rearranging things and 4 pages of 'moved to' threads at the beginning of the TDI section is somewhat dysfunctional.

I have a thread in the 'Users Rides" forum that is about my '91 Vanagon that is converted to an mTDI ALH.  It doesn't matter to me which forum it ends up in, but it would fit equally well in User Rides, mTDI or Swaps. 

Reply #14October 15, 2014, 11:40:34 am

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 11:40:34 am »
I think you could delete all of the 'Moved to:XXXX' threads.  I think everyone looking for a particular thread would understand that you are rearranging things and 4 pages of 'moved to' threads at the beginning of the TDI section is somewhat dysfunctional.

I have a thread in the 'Users Rides" forum that is about my '91 Vanagon that is converted to an mTDI ALH.  It doesn't matter to me which forum it ends up in, but it would fit equally well in User Rides, mTDI or Swaps.

Theman53 also mentioned removing all of the transfer thread posts too. I'll work on getting rid of them too.