S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: **** Forum Changes ****  (Read 20984 times)

Reply #60December 02, 2014, 12:18:26 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: **** Forum Changes ****
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2014, 12:18:26 am »
I still don't think the mtdi and swap section should be separate? Looking better though.

Reply #61December 02, 2014, 12:28:07 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2014, 12:28:07 am »
Dunno, my car is barely a swap (it's a diesel car with a diesel engine that's correct for that chassis though not that year) but it's most definitely an M-TDI.  Yet my thread is in the swap section.

Someone looking to build an M-TDI pump is looking for much different information from someone trying to put an E-TDI in to a Toyota.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #62December 02, 2014, 12:36:17 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2014, 12:36:17 am »
It sounds like a swap to me?

Reply #63December 02, 2014, 01:55:21 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2014, 01:55:21 am »
I suppose, though for all intents and purposes it's the stock AAZ with a different head.
Bryn

Reply #64December 02, 2014, 09:34:18 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2014, 09:34:18 am »
I like having the separate mTDI section.  I have no desire to assist sycophants who believe that the electronic engine management is preferable over a properly functioning mTDI and appreciate being spared from accidentally reading some of those types of threads.

Reply #65December 02, 2014, 09:37:04 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2014, 09:37:04 am »
I just liked it better when I didn't have this many boards to look at. I try to read *skim at least* every post to make sure there isn't something needing addressed and having one more place to go that really could be included in another board it would be a ton simpler for me. Yes you could break the forum down to MK1 mTdi, mk2 mTdi, MK3 mtdi, MK2 diesel to gas Honda vtec, etc and have a very user specific forum, but as I said earlier I don't think the mTdi and swap section should be separate just for a technicality and something to do. Between the IDI, TDI, Swaps, and General everything should fit in there somewhere. Or as I suggested earlier if you have to have both swaps and Mtdi put the mTDI in the TDI sub forum area.

Reply #66December 02, 2014, 09:37:59 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2014, 09:37:59 am »
I suppose, though for all intents and purposes it's the stock AAZ with a different head.

I get it.
Oh, and different pistons.

Reply #67December 02, 2014, 10:05:36 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2014, 10:05:36 am »
I just liked it better when I didn't have this many boards to look at. I try to read *skim at least* every post to make sure there isn't something needing addressed and having one more place to go that really could be included in another board it would be a ton simpler for me. Yes you could break the forum down to MK1 mTdi, mk2 mTdi, MK3 mtdi, MK2 diesel to gas Honda vtec, etc and have a very user specific forum, but as I said earlier I don't think the mTdi and swap section should be separate just for a technicality and something to do. Between the IDI, TDI, Swaps, and General everything should fit in there somewhere. Or as I suggested earlier if you have to have both swaps and Mtdi put the mTDI in the TDI sub forum area.

You mean like:

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0

Bryn

Reply #68December 02, 2014, 10:22:52 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2014, 10:22:52 am »
???
No, I have no clue what that is.

Reply #69December 02, 2014, 10:24:34 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2014, 10:24:34 am »
That is all the unread posts on the entire forum.

Reply #70December 02, 2014, 10:58:45 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2014, 10:58:45 am »
That is all the unread posts on the entire forum.

Exactly - one single place where you can see everything new WITHOUT having to click through each subforum. 

Alternatively, you can go here to see all recent posts, whether unread or not:

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?action=recent

Either of those methods will allow you to scan through all messages without having to dive in to each of the various subforums, while allowing someone who is searching for information later to have a better container to limit their searches too.
Bryn

Reply #71December 02, 2014, 09:02:04 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2014, 09:02:04 pm »
That makes sense and it is even worse as there is the entire French section on it. I also like to know what I am getting into and without going to the sub forum first I would read it and whatever, but a ton of what happens is someone posts "my car won't start" in the FAQ and needs to be moved. I wouldn't realize it if I did it that way. To me it makes sense to have all the TDI under the TDI section, just like the 1.5, 1.6 with 11mm bolts mech head, 1.6 with 12mm bolts mech head, 1.6 12mm hydro head 1.9 aaz etc are all in the IDI section...but without sub forums. The TDI section I think would be ideal to have it all under that umbrella in the "kids" forums as it is calling it. Then I would know exactly what was supposed to be talked about and unless there was a notification there I wouldn't have to go there. Plus it should work for everyone else as it would still be in the forum.

Reply #72December 04, 2014, 10:42:58 am

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

• VDubShirts.com Awesome VW themed shirts with attitude
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2014, 10:42:58 am »
I need to spend more time getting the forum organized, but I am kind of dreading moving all the post where they should go so I have been putting it off for a little bit.

What could I do to organize it more in a way that everyone would find useful? I have been going over myturbodiesel and tdiclub's organization and think somewhere in the middle would be good.  With Motor specific sections for each type of motor and a model specific board for each broad model.

Get rid of the troubleshooting board and tdi general board and maybe try to integrate the Upgrades board into the model specific board based on post.

Thats a lot of stuff to sit and sift through so you can see why I have been dreading it.
Check out www.vdubshirts.com for cool VW themed shirts with attitude.

Reply #73December 04, 2014, 01:42:48 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2014, 01:42:48 pm »
A 'general' board is a good thing to have - you will have a lot of newbies who don't have any idea what engine they've got or really what their problem might be, the 'General' and 'Troubleshooting' sections have always been good for that.  They could probably be combined into a single forum though, with lots of the threads going in to their more specific forums.
Bryn

Reply #74December 12, 2014, 11:12:53 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2014, 11:12:53 am »
I know it's a no spark zone but I think it would be good to have a general gasser section. I've joined many forums just to ask a single question before and I know that many of my questions could be answered right here.

Also, if it's possible to have a quick reply section at the bottom of each thread that would make things a little easier I think.
Tyler

Fixmyvw.com