Model Specific Questions and Info > MK2 Golf/Jetta and Audi 5k

More 020 fun*Solved,was not the tranny*

<< < (3/3)

srgtlord:
Figured out the problem...but unfortunately it was on my way to work....  The 3 bolts holding the serpentine belt setup to the 1.6d block all had snapped.

Now here is my theory on the matter.  Im guessing the bolts somehow worked themselves loose and were causing the alternator bracket to to rock back and forth causing the bucking sensation at low speeds. As the bolts loosened more the bucking increased until eventually all the bolts snapped from the constant back and forth tension.....Now today with the new bolts on and locktite applied, the bucking is gone and the chance of the bolts loosening up again is greatly reduced.

burn_your_money:
Vw says those are all one time use bolts. Glad you solved it.

libbydiesel:

--- Quote from: srgtlord on December 13, 2014, 09:40:11 pm ---The 3 bolts holding the serpentine belt setup to the 1.6d block all had snapped.

Im guessing the bolts somehow worked themselves loose and were causing the alternator bracket to to rock back and forth causing the bucking sensation at low speeds.
--- End quote ---

I'd guess that they worked loose because there are supposed to be 4 bolts holding the serp bracket to the block.  When I have installed the serp setup on the 1.6, I have added the 4th mounting point by welding a bracket onto the injection pump bracket.

The extra hole is slotted to allow pump bracket adjustment for belt tracking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version