Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: New project daily driver to be: 82 TransporterD "Betty"  (Read 2431 times)

September 15, 2014, 04:50:11 am

Renax

• Junior

New project daily driver to be: 82 TransporterD "Betty"
« on: September 15, 2014, 04:50:11 am »
My old Caravelle Coach "Willy" wich had a tuned 1.6 GTD golf engine met an untimely death, against a Passat at around 70km/h

My friend found another VW Transporter for me, and the work began. Only good part of the car is that its more than 30years old, wich in Norway is a huge tax advantage, and it had a AAZ althou poorly mounted, with wrong IP, and leaking waterpump, and it did'nt start.
Theese things made it cheap, and since i got a good parts car (thanks to a Passat owner who couldn't keep right) i got it home and started dismanteling.

I will post photos as fast as i can find out how...

-89 Caravelle Coach 1.6TD (too be holset powered) Daily driver
-80 Golf 1.6D

Reply #1October 24, 2014, 06:41:01 am

Renax

• Junior

Re: New project daily driver to be: 82 TransporterD "Betty"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:41:01 am »
Picture time...

How i found it.

Towed it home, with a rope, 30-40miles...

Soundproofing+insulating with a two layer system. floor, walls an roof.

Putting in my old interior, the seat is Norwegian made and put in most norwegian sold passenger cars because taxes...

Sliding door was rusted too far to fix, and since this is a 82-mod, i had to cut and weld the hinges and locking mechanism to make this 89mod door fit. In the prosess i made extra space for bigger rear wheels...

Painted black.

Lowered (yes, this is as low as the goverment allows)

Fixed the rear lights, i don't like orange. These old ones has no reversing light...

My old one at its best:-)

After the crash, doesn't look that bad, but trust me, its worse than it looks...
Good thing is, that after a head on collision going 45mph, no one got injured. Considering i had my two kids (1˝ and 3˝years old) i call that a success:-)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:50:35 am by Renax »
-89 Caravelle Coach 1.6TD (too be holset powered) Daily driver
-80 Golf 1.6D

Reply #2October 28, 2014, 09:34:07 am

FrizzleFry

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 09:34:07 am »
Oh my gosh! Its good to bear everyone is okay. Ive watched a few of the factory crash test vids with vanagons and they're pretty impressive!

Reply #3October 28, 2014, 11:26:38 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:26:38 am »
Oh my gosh! Its good to bear everyone is okay. Ive watched a few of the factory crash test vids with vanagons and they're pretty impressive!

Actually, the vanagon has been rated one of the safest non-airbag vehicles.  Probably the 'factory crash test' video you are referring to is the one where someone piled several tons of bricks in the back of a Doka and then drove it at highway speeds into a block wall...  Give me a break...

Look for the ones where the vanagon goes up against a Volvo at highway speeds.  Anyone in the vanagon would have been uninjured and anyone in the Volvo would have been dead.

Fixmyvw.com