Author Topic: Update from Bonneville (Land Speed Racing Content).  (Read 9595 times)

Reply #15September 15, 2014, 11:29:06 am

Jetmugg

• Veteran

Re: Update from Bonneville (Land Speed Racing Content).
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 11:29:06 am »
Alcaid - I'm already brainstorming a "recipe" for the 2-liter class.  I'll be talking with you-know-who in Sweden about upgrading the pump for more fuel, and will be looking for a matched turbo as well. (hint, hint). 

Right now, I need to let my credit card recover a bit.  It's so smokin' hot, I can barely touch it.

Steve.

Reply #16September 15, 2014, 07:11:57 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 07:11:57 pm »
Now that you are a record holder maybe Dieselmaken will sponsor you? I would definitely try to play that card. I also think the small frame he221w would be the ticket. Maybe even something bigger depending on how much Dieselmaken can give you and since spool is of no concern.

Good news is that the truck is made and pretty much done, so most of your expense/work will not have to be repeated.

BTW, here is the manifold I used and it worked out well...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-8V-T25-Cast-Iron-Turbo-Exhaust-Manifold-Golf-Jetta-/380395953632?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58915d9de0&vxp=mtr

Reply #17September 16, 2014, 02:37:04 am

Alcaid

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 02:37:04 am »
No problem finding he right turbo for whatever engine volume and cc of fuel you put into it, even at a sponsored price even if I don't run a company ;)

Will it be a TDI this time? They give you more hp per cc of fuel and lb of air so i'd go with that
'03 VW Golf PD130 4Motion Highline
'10 VW Passat 1.6TDI Highline
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

Reply #18September 16, 2014, 10:53:46 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 10:53:46 am »
For your 2.0L attempt I'm assuming you want to keep it running with a VE-style pump?

I'm fairly certain you can drop an ALH head on a 2.0L PD block.  You can definitely bore an ALH out to 2.0L (lots of examples on TDIClub) - pistons and everything are readily available.  There's even a lower-compression piston option using off the shelf parts.

It would be worth giving Colt Cams a call - I think he's having some issues with his machinery right now but he could definitely make you up a custom cam.  He has a whole bunch of lumpy TDI cams already that only a couple of people bit on (most of the TDI owners were scared away from the 'need minor modification to the head for clearance' factor)

If you can keep it all mechanical you'd have an AWESOME engine, plus if you set a land speed record with an M-TDI I'm pretty sure the whole "M-TDI engines suck, they have no power" myth will finally die... ;)

Here's a recipe for a 250+ HP ALH using 2.0L pistons and a 16.8:1 compression ratio:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=323667

There are better nozzle options available than Race 520s (they are at their limit much over 200 HP) and obviously you don't really need a VNT turbo for your application which makes things much simpler...

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #19September 16, 2014, 11:20:04 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 11:20:04 am »
i didn't see a dyno slip in there.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #20September 16, 2014, 11:59:22 am

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 11:59:22 am »
Lucas - that's pretty much the exhaust manifold I'm using now, except with a T3 pattern and a T3-T25 adapter installed.

For the sake of simplicity and cost savings, I think I'll try to stay in the IDI family.  That should allow me to use a lot of the parts I already have.  Basically, I'm thinking that I'd need a short block, whatever pump work Goran suggests, and a matching turbo.  Some porting work on the cylinder head would not hurt matters any.

There are other paths, including non-VW diesel engines, but I'd like to see what I can do without investing big $$$ on a different engine platform.

Using the data I've already generated with my known power to the wheels, known top speed, known frontal area, weight, and an estimate of drag coefficient, I can get pretty close to estimating speed per HP.

In this case, if I can generate 225 HP to the wheels, I should see right at 150 mph on the salt.  The current 2 liter record is 129.

Reply #21September 16, 2014, 01:43:55 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 01:43:55 pm »
The highest $$$$ single component in your build is the pump - if you are starting over there then you have lots of options.

To save money you could stick with an AHU TDI - you can reuse all the external stuff (water pump, alternator, mounts, etc) though you'd need new injectors and you wouldn't be able to keep using your existing AAZ head (though you could keep using the valves).  Even your AAZ cam can be reused if you go that way.  You would only be able to build a 1.9L though. 

Really the only cost difference between going with an AHU/1Z or an AAZ would be around the injectors - the TDI injectors are quite conservative stock whereas the IDI engines have much cruder basic injectors as they rely on the prechamber for atomization. FINDING a good AAZ will be tough, while 1Z/AHUs are a lot more common.  You can sell off all the stock AHU/1Z parts if you get a decent engine to start with - I basically got back the full purchase price of my AHU with all the stock emissions/electronic parts I didn't need for my M-TDI.

What I'm getting at is there is very little difference between an AAZ or an AHU so you won't be saving much by sticking with an AAZ, other than the work that has already been done to your AAZ head.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #22September 16, 2014, 08:48:43 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 08:48:43 pm »
I still haven't seen a dyno slip of a TDI making peak power at as high of an rpm as the IDI's. I did like the guy in the thread say what cam plate to use :D
I am looking to see how much a DE143 cam plate is

Reply #23September 17, 2014, 12:46:51 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 12:46:51 am »
Can't congratulate you enough on your accomplishments Jetmugg .
Completely over the top awesome to shatter the record like that, and with our old skool VW power ! !
High Fives and Fist Bumps from all around the forum.

Did you go when it was rained out also - earlier ?

Keep us posted on a next time outing and maybe some of us can carpool or caravan as a support group with additional ice chests for holding more racing supplies.
And canned beverages . lol

Reply #24September 17, 2014, 03:03:52 am

Alcaid

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 03:03:52 am »
I still haven't seen a dyno slip of a TDI making peak power at as high of an rpm as the IDI's.

Not seen this 392hp (crank) ALH then, pushing all the way to 5800rpm before power rolls off

It did 470hp (crank) with NOS...

Those crazy guys in Finland :P

'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

Reply #25September 17, 2014, 08:27:14 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 08:27:14 am »
I still haven't seen a dyno slip of a TDI making peak power at as high of an rpm as the IDI's.

Not seen this 392hp (crank) ALH then, pushing all the way to 5800rpm before power rolls off

It did 470hp (crank) with NOS...

Those crazy guys in Finland :P

that is the first really impressive slip RPM wise for a TDI I have seen, still it starts to fall off earlier than an IDI would with the same amount of work I am sure. The black line shows it falling around 4300 and the green line starts to level right there as well before climbing a little bit later. Being that it is not a 1/4 mile drag race and a friction drag race it is clear that the higher rpm the peak is without leveling off would be best in theory...unless you have an 18 speed trans to always keep you in the best rpm/power. Again also, the ALH is a completely different engine setup than the 1.5 up to AHU and he really doesn't want to re fab the entire truck he has said.

That said, I don't see an aaz making 392hp at much of any RPM, so the TDI would definitely have a huge power advantage. Maybe the 2.0 short stroke weird deal CRSMP5 had made way back that didn't keep a fiber HG together would work better??? Another question is would this TDI in the chart hold together for the 3 mile course with the follow up 3 mile to confirm?

Reply #26September 17, 2014, 08:57:33 am

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 08:57:33 am »
Can't congratulate you enough on your accomplishments Jetmugg .
Completely over the top awesome to shatter the record like that, and with our old skool VW power ! !
High Fives and Fist Bumps from all around the forum.

Did you go when it was rained out also - earlier ?

Keep us posted on a next time outing and maybe some of us can carpool or caravan as a support group with additional ice chests for holding more racing supplies.
And canned beverages . lol

Thank you very much.  Yes, I did drive to Bonneville for SpeedWeek in August, only to get there, have breakfast, and make the return trip.  That was a VERY expensive breakfast, and included about 3,200 miles of driving, hotel rooms, fuel costs, food, etc.  OUCH!!!

A caravan style road trip would be fantastic!  The more the merrier.

What's really cool about the World of Speed event in September is that it also hosts the VW 36HP Challenge group, which is mostly air-cooled VW land speed racers, but with a good sprinkling of water cooled stuff also.  It also has a lot of VW-based media coverage.  There's a good chance that my truck will be included in a future issue of Hot VW's magazine.

Steve.

Reply #27September 17, 2014, 10:33:35 am

Alcaid

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 10:33:35 am »
Black line is torque, see how fast that one normally rolls off on a TDI... 

Show me an IDI dyno curve that holds peak hp at a higher RPM ;) BTW, this was actually done with a 12mm pump

Reply #28September 17, 2014, 12:27:49 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 12:27:49 pm »
Congrats Jetmugg.  Very fun to see.

Any further issues with oil pressure during your runs?  I'm eager to see the results when you pull the head. 

Reply #29September 17, 2014, 12:34:20 pm

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 12:34:20 pm »
The oil pressure was rock solid through the runs.  I installed a low oil pressure light (big red light) to warn if pressure dropped below 20 psi.

I was surprised to see the light come on during the coast-down at the far end of the track, however (engine rpm's around 1,000 or less).  Right now, I'm attributing that to hot oil temps after running WOT for 3 miles.  That's the only time I saw any oil issues.  I'm not even convinced that the previous problems were real - more and more I am thinking that there may have been an electrical issue with the OP sender.

Like you, I am quite curious to see what the cylinder head and piston top surfaces look like when I pull the head.  I'll be looking closely for cracks between valves, any apparent damage to the pre-cups, and what the tops of the pistons look like.  During some of the runs, I believe that I was experiencing compressor surge as well. It's visible in the boost gauge shown in the videos.

I have several GoPro videos that I'm loading and editing on YouTube.  There's a lot of extra footage that isn't very interesting or helpful.  When I get them trimmed down a bit, I'll post links.

Steve.

S-PAutomotive.com