S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Where is all my oil going?  (Read 3535 times)

September 02, 2014, 11:07:53 pm

Vohaul

• Junior

Where is all my oil going?
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:07:53 pm »
argh....

My previously trusty 93 aaz td jetta is now using 4 litres of oil a week......wait any longer than that and the oil buzzer goes off around corners..

ive got no major leaks from underneath....and nothing but the usual  light amount black smoke on accelleration...

is it the end for my jetta...ie.. rings or valves (rebuilding the engine isnt really worth it on the age and rust on the car) or is there some magic pcv valve that got clogged somewhere i can check and fix for cheap...theair filter is not clogged....

Thanks

Paul

Reply #1September 03, 2014, 01:19:46 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Where is all my oil going?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 01:19:46 am »
Fuel economy up as you burn a different kind of oil now?  4 l a week without a drip in the driveway?  Sounds like rings gone south to me.  First cold morning this little darling is not going to have the needed compression to fire off.  Have you checked what the PSI might be at this time since it still seems to start and run for you?

Reply #2September 03, 2014, 02:30:45 am

Vohaul

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:30:45 am »
Fuel economy up as you burn a different kind of oil now?  4 l a week without a drip in the driveway?  Sounds like rings gone south to me.  First cold morning this little darling is not going to have the needed compression to fire off.  Have you checked what the PSI might be at this time since it still seems to start and run for you?

That's the other thing.... My fuel economy is still 38 mpg / 6.5 litres per 100 km / or approx 850 km per tank mostly highway.... I just don't get it.....

And starts every time ... 2nd turn of key ....  I just don't get it.....

I just don't want to junk the car if it's only a $20 fix... And I really love my diesel:(
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 02:33:30 am by Vohaul »

Reply #3September 03, 2014, 04:02:03 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 04:02:03 am »
Verify that you have no vacuum leaks after the vacuum pump.

Remove the oil filler cap with the car running. If clouds of smoke billow out, its probably rings but could be the turbo.

Check the shaft play on your turbo. It might be time to go na.
Tyler