Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Running Biodiesel in the Bosch VE Pump  (Read 4193 times)

July 07, 2014, 05:33:21 pm

ftm1776

• Junior

Running Biodiesel in the Bosch VE Pump
« on: July 07, 2014, 05:33:21 pm »
I don't want to say good or bad, but is it "harder" on the VE pump running biodiesel rather that straight diesel fuel.

I had a tech at Diesel Fuel Injection Service in Portland, Or tell me that since most of the fuel in Oregon is bio, he hops across the I-5 bridge to Vancouver, WA to buy his diesel fuel.

Comments????

Thomas, Original and sole owner since new:
1991 Jetta NA 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed, AWY transmission, Hydraulic Lifters
293,000 miles
LOOKING FOR A GOOD VW DIESEL ENGINE BUILDER ON THE WEST COAST

Reply #1July 07, 2014, 06:10:42 pm

Renax

• Junior

Re:
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 06:10:42 pm »
I sometimes use my old cooking oil, just filter it and pour it in, never more than 50% and i just burn what my own deep fryer goes trough. Can't tell the difference, other than that with 50% the exhaust smell a little bit better.
Someone in my area drives his car on fish-oil that has gone bad. (Was intended for humans to drink, but after some years tastes awful, wasn't good to start with...)
Smells like *** but runs good.
These oils are in general a bit thicker, so cold starting will be a bit harder if water is freezing or colder. In Norway we have more bio in summer than winter, and more paraffin in winter:-) i bet a mix of veggy oil and paraffin would work well...

Some engines are more picky than others about fuel, VW idi is in the not picky end of the scale, my instruction book says the engine will not be harmed by less than 25% petrol in the diesel...

Sent from my cheapchinaphone using Tapatalk

-89 Caravelle Coach 1.6TD (too be holset powered) Daily driver
-80 Golf 1.6D

Reply #2July 07, 2014, 08:20:33 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Running Biodiesel in the Bosch VE Pump
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 08:20:33 pm »
REAL biodiesel is fine with the VE pumps.  By REAL I mean stuff that meets the ATSM certifications - it needs to be dry and have all the glycerin removed.  If you are using real biodiesel then it's fine for the pump, though it may cause some older seals to leak.  Fresh viton seals will stand up to bio-d just fine though. 

Biodiesel has better lubricity than ULSD so it actually can help make your pump and injectors last longer than they would on ULSD.  But be aware that bio-d also has a powerful solvent effect - if you have a dirty fuel system already bio-d can knock a lot of crud loose.  A plugged filter after running a couple tanks of bio-d is not unusual for a car that hasn't seen it before.  The stuff plugging the filter is usually stuff that was living in the tank / lines previously.

Cooking oil / waste vegetable oil will gum things up over time.  You can certainly do it, the big important thing is purging the system before shutdown with regular diesel. Don't confuse waste oil / vegetable oil with biodiesel, they are NOT the same thing.

Most of the injection pump builders stick by the 'no more than 5% bio' party line that Bosch puts out there, plus they've seen lots and lots of pumps come to them where individuals have been experimenting with all kinds of "fun" fuel that wasn't necessarily treated properly.  I'm sure after working on a few nasty sludged up pumps that stink like rancid fish you'd have absolutely no interest in experimenting with 'other' fuels, though real proper bio won't cause that to happen.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #3July 07, 2014, 09:30:53 pm

ftm1776

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 09:30:53 pm »
I'll have to check on the bio content in Oregon.

My pump was just rebuilt, so I'd just as soon make the conservative choice. I'm not really a fuel experimenter.

I have added 2-stroke oil, ATF and Stanadyne conditioner now and then. Made up my own "cocktail".
Although I can't really defend any of these additives, others have used them.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 09:32:39 pm by ftm1776 »
Thomas, Original and sole owner since new:
1991 Jetta NA 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed, AWY transmission, Hydraulic Lifters
293,000 miles
LOOKING FOR A GOOD VW DIESEL ENGINE BUILDER ON THE WEST COAST

Reply #4July 07, 2014, 11:40:01 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 11:40:01 pm »
You can get a range of Bio D in Oregon. 5, 20 or the full 90%  Depends on where you get it.  I thought most regular diesel stations were running 5% now.  Maybe not.  The place I used to know about in Portland was near the I-5 bridge going over the big river.  Sequential Oil.  I don't know if they still carry it or not.  I do know the Eugene area station does. 

I had to laugh one time in November when I was fueling up with the thicker stuff the guy wouldn't pump it until he explained that it might gel up on me in colder climate.  I said thats OK I don't plan to be running it cold.  He looked at me real funny and I popped the hatchback and pointed to the heated tank in the back and said careful on the last gallon.  He was totally impressed.  Once filled he asked to see the front end setup as well.  Two heaters and filters in line with switches and digital themometers to monitor from tank to IP temps.  He asked if I did that conversion for a living and I had to say NO, I did it to save some fuel bucks. 

I like the thicker fuel but like it is pointed out here there has to be an adequate flush of it out of the IP and bring in diesel for a cold start up to happen.  You can start hot on WVO and start Cold on Bio-D it just might take a bit more crank to do it. 

Reply #5July 08, 2014, 01:36:17 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 01:36:17 am »
B5 is awesome for reducing wear on injection pumps - don't be afraid to run it at all.  Commercial biodiesel is a solid product - it's just that there are so many 'do it yourself' folks out there making their own with god knows what equipment.  B5 won't eat seals but it will provide great lubrication.  Lots of states/provinces actually require B5 now - besides the environmental benefits of reducing petro-diesel use by 5% it takes care of the loss of lubricity that came about with ULSD.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #6July 08, 2014, 10:51:50 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:51:50 pm »
Minnesota was the first state to go from B2 to B5 but we here in the GREEN State pulled it out as well.

Oregon's progressive upgrade from a B2 biodiesel blend requirement to a B5 requirement went into effect April 1 — and Oregon is now the second state to require that all diesel fuel sold is a B5 biodiesel blend.

Washington and Pennsylvania both have a B2 requirement in effect.  Connecticut, Louisiana, Massachusetts and New Mexico have all passed similar legislation that hasn't yet taken effect.  (Western Farm Press, May 4, 2011).

Reply #7July 12, 2014, 07:35:29 am

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 07:35:29 am »
Like has been said, Bosch pumps do really well with up to B-100.  A service tech at Oregon Fuel Injection told me his main concern is with damage done to injectors.  Injectors do get some oxidation a little quicker.

Home brew works pretty well...it is simple chemistry (500+ gallons on).  You just need to be careful about drying and conversion but idi's are pretty bullet proof compared to TDIs with a computer and emissions controls.  If your time has any value don't expect to save money.

S-PAutomotive.com