S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Oil Problem 1.6D. Please help  (Read 4436 times)

June 19, 2014, 05:30:44 pm

forbesthebrit

Oil Problem 1.6D. Please help
« on: June 19, 2014, 05:30:44 pm »
So i have a rabbit with a 1.6D n/a from a 87 jetta (ME engine code, hydraulic) and i had a weird issue today. I was driving it when my oil light came on, i pulled over and checked the oil level and it seemed fine. I was only a few miles away from work so i put a bit of oil in and went on my way, the oil light was still on and then about a mile later my brake pedal was super stiff/hard to depress. I shut it off and put a bit more oil in even though the dipstick showed the level to be fine. I started it again and the brake pedal became like normal again. The issue is the car feels mostly alright, but the oil light is still on yet the oil level is full. What could this issue be? only thing i could think of is either there is a blockage in the pickup tube or something of that sort. Just want to see if it could be anything else before i drop the oil pan.

Reply #1June 19, 2014, 06:17:21 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re:
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 06:17:21 pm »
The vacuum pump that supplies vacuum to the brake booster is driven by the same shaft / gear as the oil pump. It sounds like you have a serious problem that needs immediate resolution - for some reason your intermediate shaft is not turning your oil and vacuum pumps at times.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2June 19, 2014, 06:22:10 pm

forbesthebrit

Re:
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 06:22:10 pm »
The vacuum pump that supplies vacuum to the brake booster is driven by the same shaft / gear as the oil pump. It sounds like you have a serious problem that needs immediate resolution - for some reason your intermediate shaft is not turning your oil and vacuum pumps at times.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

How would i check out the intermediate shaft for issues? What should i look for or do to troubleshoot it. I am pretty good with a wrench if pointed in the right direction

Reply #3June 19, 2014, 06:38:25 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: Oil Problem 1.6D. Please help
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 06:38:25 pm »
I'd inspect the timing belt. If it is failing or slack, it may not drive the oil pump and vacuum pump.

The intermediate shaft bearings are notorious for wear due to overtightening of the timing belt. I'd loosen the timing belt and check for any play in the shaft.

WARNING: the engine is an interference-system and the valves will hit the pistons if the belt is not maintained/replaced with the pulleys in correct timing. (Game over.) Timing tools are strongly advised for any work on the belt and related components.

Reply #4June 20, 2014, 01:04:46 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Re: Oil Problem 1.6D. Please help
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 01:04:46 am »
At the the base of the vacuum pump, there is a semi-circle retainer/holder with a 13 mm-headed bolt. This apparatus works to hold the vac. pump and it's shaft in place. Immediately check to see that the bolt has not loosened. This will only take about 2 minutes if you are not inept. This is the place to start. Will need to use the open end of the 13 mm wrench.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #5June 20, 2014, 06:10:33 am

Renax

• Junior

Re:
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 06:10:33 am »
Remember that the oil light has nothing to do with oil level, its oil pressure. Most cars will work fine with under minimum if you just drive on flat roads with no turn.
The fact that there's oil in the pan does NOT mean that the engine is lubricated.
The fact that the oil light comes on means one of two things, either you have a eletrical issue, or you have a problem with oil pressure. Always assume worst case scenario witch is bad oil pressure, at this point you should not drive the car at all before you can confirm that you in fact have some oil pressure.

For checking your problem: start with checking timing belt, and the vaacum pump.

And by all means, check for eletrical issues, issues with the oil pressure warning system is far more common than actual oil pressure problems:-)

Sent from my cheapchinaphone using Tapatalk
-89 Caravelle Coach 1.6TD (too be holset powered) Daily driver
-80 Golf 1.6D