Author Topic: Oil level  (Read 3965 times)

March 31, 2014, 03:54:20 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

Oil level
« on: March 31, 2014, 03:54:20 pm »

I messed up.  My AAZ dipstick has a indented area, with hash marks for oil level, and on this change, it was up to the hump, maybe 4 CM above the full hash mark, and I was in a hurry, and thought it would not matter, just a little overfull.  It would have taken 10 minutes to jack it up and drain.  Calculated dumbass move on my part.  I admit.   I WAS WRONG (exclamation point !!) 

Bottom line, is my OIL FILTER MOUNTING gasket is weeping now.  From a dry engine to a wet engine.

Still driving it, but its a wet oil mess.  Don't make the same mistake I made.

Part ordered.  Will fix.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=htkelcf33bpil4ej1dptuc55&makeid=800026@VW&modelid=1369379@GOLF TDI&year=1996&cid=20@Engine Parts, Seals %26 Gaskets&gid=5432@Oil Filter Gasket

Reply #1March 31, 2014, 06:37:30 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: Oil level
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 06:37:30 pm »
4cm is quite a bit. That must have been a good ways past 5 liters?
Tyler

Reply #2March 31, 2014, 09:12:56 pm

Blocksmith

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Wrench Lurker
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:12:56 pm »
4cm is quite a bit. That must have been a good ways past 5 liters?

Exactly what I was thinking. One cm is about a quart, so...
Green 83 Rabbit 4dr, 5 speed ACH trans swap, ported 1.6D mech lifter w/ vnt15, na pump w/ gov mod, gasser intake mani, 2.5" exhaust, bilstein sports and cut mk2 springs, ss brake lines, 14" vw bottlecaps

Reply #3April 01, 2014, 09:01:51 am

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 09:01:51 am »
Yeah,  

That 10 minutes compared to the $1.83 gasket and 30 minutes to change it is not time well spent.  >:(

Another take away resulting from this -for those in the USA -- who cannot find AAZ parts;  AutohauzAZ can get quite the majority of the AAZ parts you need.  AAZ shows in their database for 96 Golf and Jetta.  Good source.  I generally order about $50 or more and take free shipping.  I always keep several oil, fuel and air filters for my Caddy and Mercedes fleet as a result.  8)

Wayne  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:08:59 am by DogDiesel »

Reply #4April 02, 2014, 08:55:29 am

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:55:29 am »
As a USA southern'er, whose natives quite often poke fun at themselves, I may have posted on this site a major fopah.  Did a quick look at this sites membership last evening, and realized that the majority are from the upper latitudes in USA and lower Canada.  My three decades in the Army's interaction with that populace should have told me not to admit my mistakes.  Oh well that is water under the bridge...

Last evening, had an off line interaction with one of this sites members which prompted me to look at geographic membership.  Realized my second mistake in this scenario beyond the oil level, the self-deprecation.

When in Rome, blend in, when in France....  Sorry, I will not post a self admittal again.  I will blend in.

Wayne

Reply #5April 02, 2014, 12:04:45 pm

mcpook

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:04:45 pm »
Don't go to the dark side Wayne.  Without mistakes and self-admitted blunders, how would we ever learn?  All for ego-less humanity here and I'm a 'yankee' originally from Pittsburgh.     
1982 Rabbit Pickup 1.6 TD
1996 Passat B4V TDI

Reply #6April 02, 2014, 09:31:47 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 09:31:47 pm »
I got me Yank blood that has been seeped in the south and wash by the west ocean now.  Not to proud to admit a mistake and not to stuffy to stop self depreciation either.  It's on the learning curve.  You know the circle looking thing. 

Reply #7April 02, 2014, 09:47:25 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 09:47:25 pm »
. . . You know the circle looking thing. 

X2
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #8April 03, 2014, 05:45:20 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 05:45:20 am »
Can someone explain why the engine should leak oil at that particular gasket when overfilled?

I thought that overfilling, just gave the crank more work to do threshing through the oil.

Surely gasket was an accident waiting to happen, but was hiding behind previous correct oil levels...
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #9April 03, 2014, 08:24:42 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 08:24:42 am »
Can someone explain why the engine should leak oil at that particular gasket when overfilled?

I thought that overfilling, just gave the crank more work to do threshing through the oil.

Surely gasket was an accident waiting to happen, but was hiding behind previous correct oil levels...

I don't know but am curious as well.
Possibly the "empty space" above the oil and below the pistons is designed to be X3 volume and reducing it raises the surge pressure higher than the vent system can handle (or the vent system has been compromised). Gasses do blow-by, even in brand new engines - just an uneducated guess.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #10April 05, 2014, 01:50:19 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 01:50:19 pm »
I believe the reason the gasket blew is that it is the point in the oil circuit where there is the most restriction and where there is little potential for bleed off of  pressure. Also this is where, I think there is least amount of air in the oil circuit.  
When I run the oil level NOW at the lower 1/3 of the hash marks, I get no leaks.  Thats good because the new gasket has not arrived.

I of all people should have known better.  I am a diesel mechanic.  Up at the top of the dipstick hump doens't look like much, and on most engines, wouldnt matter.  On the AAZ, apparently it does.

Changing the tone of the oil debate.  This is the second AAZ that I have had, and neither use oil.  This engine makes my little Caddy like a modern truck.  Since I have regeared it, I drive the snot out of it.  I have cruise control, and since I have my little Caddy on my taxes as a business vehicle, I drive it on a lot of trips.  I put the darn thing on cruise and run it here in VA at 70MPH and when I hit I-95, I run 80.  If traffic is rolling faster, I run with it, it can cruise all day at 90MPH.  Until this oil overfill, the engine has been dry.

The serpentine solves my belt issues one of the issues I hated with V belts.  Now since I installed the Giles pump, the only issue I have with the little truck is my tires get out of round from spinning and require more rotation, and trim to rebalance.

If I could solve the decibel issue at 80 plus, it would be a perfect modern vehicle.  It is quiet enough to 60MPH.  I have been contemplating installing new window seals from the MK1 warehouse.  We can always throw money at our vehicles, but is it worth it.?  Who has done it and is it worth $450?  

Wayne
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:09:02 pm by DogDiesel »

Reply #11April 05, 2014, 03:07:39 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 03:07:39 pm »
Is it truly a matter of air noise or is it, at least, due in part to an inherent drone out of the chassis?

Have you tried simply adjusting the door pins to help hold the doors more inward against the existing seals? Easy to overlook.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #12April 05, 2014, 03:55:36 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 03:55:36 pm »
I believe the reason the gasket blew is that it is the point in the oil circuit where there is the most restriction and where there is little potential for bleed off of  pressure. Also this is where, I think there is least amount of air in the oil circuit.

I don' beleive it. more likely during your oil change you disturbed the gasket, didn't tighten it enough, or it was defective.
they oil system is essentially a column maintained at  a uniform pressure.  That pressure is always above ambient, so air can't get in without a boost or compression to oil leak.
As long as  you have more than a quart or so of oil, that gasket sees full system pressure regardless of oil level.  the only things I've seen blow em out are  installing the filter  without removing the old  o-ring so they are  double stacked, or a stuck pressure relief valve which usually  pops the filter housing or strips the threads off it at 200-300 PSI depending how cheap the filter was.

Reply #13April 05, 2014, 09:03:09 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 09:03:09 pm »
The gasket I need is not the filter gasket, it is the filter base to block.  It is near impossible to disturb this gasket in an oil change.  It is a paper gasket, not a circular rubber gasket.  You can see the part I will be replacing if you copy the URL and drop it into another page. 

I don' beleive it. more likely during your oil change you disturbed the gasket, didn't tighten it enough, or it was defective.
they oil system is essentially a column maintained at  a uniform pressure.  That pressure is always above ambient, so air can't get in without a boost or compression to oil leak.
As long as  you have more than a quart or so of oil, that gasket sees full system pressure regardless of oil level.  the only things I've seen blow em out are  installing the filter  without removing the old  o-ring so they are  double stacked, or a stuck pressure relief valve which usually  pops the filter housing or strips the threads off it at 200-300 PSI depending how cheap the filter was.

Reply #14April 05, 2014, 09:40:46 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 09:40:46 pm »
Kellogs cornflake boxes make good gaskets. Smear with Red Hermatite, if faces pitted...
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Fixmyvw.com