Author Topic: Best Injection pump reseal kit  (Read 3561 times)

February 14, 2014, 01:07:19 am

Rising

• Veteran

Best Injection pump reseal kit
« on: February 14, 2014, 01:07:19 am »
Hey is the Hans reseal kit okay? http://m.ebay.com/itm/390770230846

Or is there a better kit available.. Can't seem to find  source for this or nozzles.

Gonna take the plunge on the gov mod and dynamic advance mod when I change the timing belt next week...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #1February 14, 2014, 03:37:40 am

745 turbogreasel

Re: Best Injection pump reseal kit
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:37:40 am »
I pay the extra $3 for genuine Bosch

Reply #2February 14, 2014, 05:20:38 am

EcoTX

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:20:38 am »
You can get the official BOSCH seal kits from a Bosch supplier for under $15.
The kit is DGK-126 for a NA pump.

If you are doing a legit reseal, you will also need the main input shaft seal, which doesn't come in the kit and is actually more expensive than the entire kit by itself.  (Around $20 dollars)
Part number 1 460 283 312

If you want to be real cheap, you could just order the few little O-rings and seals for the throttle shaft, lid, and timing piston covers individually all for just a few dollars.
Really it's just how much of a reseal do you really want to do and how far do you want to dig into the pump.
It's a gamble though cracking open a pump and only replacing a few seals, I wouldn't recommend it, but if the pump is dry and not weeping anywhere beforehand you might get lucky.
These pumps are pushing 25-30-even 40 years old now so the seals you don't replace may or may not decide to cooperate with you after you go disturbing things.
I'm not trying to fear-monger here, just want you to be aware of the possible side effect when taking these old pumps apart.

My experience on a '92 pump with about 360k was if you crack one of these open and try to band-aid a seal or two, the thing will just start leaking from somewhere else soon after and I regretted not doing a full reseal the first time I had it off the car and semi-apart already. 
But hey I didn't really know any better and was looking for a quick, cheap fix to my leaking throttle shaft (after doing the gov mod of course). 
Well that turned into a nightmare of chasing leaks all over that damn pump for the next month and getting low 20 MPG's till I ponied up and bought the DVD on eBay for $30 and all the seals for another $35 and did a complete reseal. 
It hasn't leaked a drop now in over 40k miles now after doing it the right way.
The downside is you will never get it exactly back to how it was beforehand so will take some tinkering, but you can get it close enough if you pay attention.
The shops will gladly take your 6-700 dollars and do it for you though if you wish. ;)

There are tons of diesel shops / Bosch suppliers that will happily order these parts for you and even drop ship them to you.
You can get any Bosch part ever made, seals, nozzles, internal pump parts, anything really from a Bosch supplier.
These are the two local places I have used and they are very friendly and helpful, even let me go in the shop area to watch my injectors being calibrated and tested and talk with the guy.
Thinking about getting a turbo pump officially calibrated on the dyno with them too later this year, since I already resealed it, it wouldn't cost as much they said to just get it calibrated and maybe tweaked a little how I want it.  (Timing advance, fuel)  Most of them have driven or drive VW diesels as well all throughout the years.
http://www.mddistributors.com/
http://theaustinfuelinjection.com/

Here's two places in Virginia that look like they could help you out, give them a shot and see what they say.
https://www.commonwealthdiesel.com/
http://www.blueridgediesel.com/

Reply #3February 14, 2014, 08:32:38 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 08:32:38 am »
Dipaco also makes kits that should come with the front seal. My shop stocks Bosch, but says the Dipaco kits are also fine.

Reply #4February 14, 2014, 02:45:04 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 02:45:04 pm »
This guy has been on  ebay for years. I have always purchased his previous Bosch kits. He is now selling this kit. I used to buy Flag brand seals, etc. years ago. This Sam guy has always proven himself to be a stellar seller (at least to me).

Apparently, he can no longer get Bosch? The front seal is in there, too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DGK-126-Gasket-Seal-Kit-for-Injection-Pumps-1-467-010-517-/251420620522?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a89d636ea&vxp=mtr

I just realized these are not the green seals I am used to seeing? Is there a material difference?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:47:44 pm by Dakotakid »
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #5February 14, 2014, 05:02:16 pm

Spokerider

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 05:02:16 pm »
I just bought a genuine Bosch kit from ebay, and also got the shaft seal from the same seller. He provided great service and fast shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171211360402?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Reply #6February 15, 2014, 12:11:23 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 12:11:23 am »
http://stores.ebay.com/angelofishes  I've got kit from this seller before too.  Not listed  now, but  you can always ask.

Reply #7February 15, 2014, 01:11:11 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re:
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 01:11:11 pm »
Hey thanks guys! Glad to pay the extra for the Bosch kit.. That's what I was looking for but I'm apparently not as Google fu as I thought.

About the entire pump reseal, how much more work is that than just pulling the top off? I was just planning to do the gov mod while I was doing the timing belt and the official guide says to order a pump reseal kit and replace the pump lid seal and the throttle arm o ring. My pump doesn't have any leaks and may have been serviced before (though I'm not sure). Is a full rebuild necessary? Anything else I should tweak while I'm at it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #8February 17, 2014, 08:50:38 pm

Blocksmith

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Wrench Lurker
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 08:50:38 pm »
A FULL pump reseal will require you to remove the pump; you can replace the 'major' seals with the pump still in the car, theoretically, but it's not recommended, due to the very real possibility of things falling out of position within the pump, so it would be a lot more work to replace all the seals than to just pull the top off and do the gov mod. If none of the seals are leaking, I wouldn't bother pulling the pump, unless you have good reason to believe that it will start leaking in the near future. Once you do notice a leaking seal, however, it does make sense to pull the pump and replace them all at once.
Green 83 Rabbit 4dr, 5 speed ACH trans swap, ported 1.6D mech lifter w/ vnt15, na pump w/ gov mod, gasser intake mani, 2.5" exhaust, bilstein sports and cut mk2 springs, ss brake lines, 14" vw bottlecaps

Reply #9February 17, 2014, 09:05:25 pm

dieseljunkie69

• User+

• Personal Text
    81 Jetta
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 09:05:25 pm »
They are only 15 year seals, if they are original and not leaking yet.. it is coming soon.

I do not recommend doing the seals on the car, there is way too much margin for error.
I'm That Guy.