S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Serpentine belt setups, pulley types?  (Read 1619 times)

February 08, 2014, 02:37:59 pm

Bugsy_malone 666

• Junior

Serpentine belt setups, pulley types?
« on: February 08, 2014, 02:37:59 pm »
The question which surely countless people ask about what serpentine pulley to use when converting an old 1.6 diesel to the more modern versions.

However my question was about if all the serp belt setups from diesels are the same or not.

Basically I have a 1.8 petrol mk3 golf, its got power steering and an alternator, but no AC, so I want to rebuild and install a 1.6TD so I get more fuel economy and maybe a bit more poke. I have sat about somewhere a bracket from a vw engine that would have an AC compressor (might be a mk3 golf maybe mk4, but one of the ones with the same design block/waterpump as the 1.6) and I thought right what I'll look to do is fit it to my rebuilt 1.6TD engine when its done, install an AC compressor and maybe add AC to the car (as the car never had it from the factory I dont know how much stuff I'd need but might be worth looking at) however it got me thinking about the offset of the pulleys. I know that the cambelt is about 1/4" wider on the diesel than the petrol, which means I cant use my original crank pulley from my petrol engine or indeed the second separate v pulley that runs the power steering. I was wondering though, are all the alternators/AC pumps the same offset, but its just the bottom pulley that is different? and also what age pulley can I use up to?

I found a TDi bottom pulley from a ANU/AUY/ASZ/BTB engine which looks the right configuration and obviously a diesel pulley, but I think it also has an integrated V pulley for power steering which I need. So I was wondering if anyone knows which pulleys are configured like this? What about 16v engines as I know they also have a wider cambelt.

Cheers :)

Reply #1February 15, 2014, 07:25:53 pm

SDTS

• User+

Re: Serpentine belt setups, pulley types?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 07:25:53 pm »
My AAZ came with a serpentine belt for the alternator and waterpump, and a v-belt for the power steering. It's a 1,9TD from a 1995 Vento. You can see in the picture the damper/serpentine pulley and the v-belt pulley are bolted together, so maybe you can shim the v-belt pulley to get the offset you need.