S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: RACEWARE HEAD STUDS  (Read 12783 times)

August 10, 2004, 05:58:42 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

RACEWARE HEAD STUDS
« on: August 10, 2004, 05:58:42 am »
I called raceware for head stud torque specs after having pulled the head off for a gasket change.  I wanted to know what the specs were for installation without the moly based assembly lube. He told me 50 ft.lbs. in three stages using 20w50 engine oil. That seemed quite low, so  I mentioned that my engine builder told me 70#'s with the correct moly lube. (he'd done only the first two stages when I picked up the engine.) The raceware dude, Randy, just about laid an egg when he heard that number. He said the studs were probably stretched and needed replacement. I called the builder again and he couldn't have disagreed more. He compared them to ARP's products and said a grade 12 1/2" stud (close enough for this example) should be torqued to at least 70#'s closer to 130 with engine oil rather than moly assy. lube. We postulated that despite Randy's claim that raceware is better than ARP, perhaps he was using a lower grade stud. I had to wait for the weekend to pass before I could contact raceware again. Randy didn't seem to think that fastener material higher than grade 8 even existed. He didn't know what grade his studs were, and could only quote tensile strengths. Based on his 190,000psi claim, that's roughly a grade 12 stud. Torquing them to 50 #'s with engine oil would surely have resulted in a blown gasket.

Moral of the story, should you buy raceware, beware of your torque specs!

I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #1August 10, 2004, 01:19:59 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
RACEWARE HEAD STUDS
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 01:19:59 pm »
Dr. D - you've got to consider the thread pitch when determining how much torque to apply.  A steeper (IE: courser) thread pitch will require more torque to develop the same amount of fastener clamp-load.

Why are you (or your engine builder) second-guessing the manufacturer's recommendation?  I would recommend using the 50ft-lb torque specs (with a beam wrench not a clicker and also lubicated with non-synthetic oil), as recommended by Randy Hubbard, who seems to be very competent to me by the way and has always provided knowledgeable information and support to me whenever I have ever requested it also.  I have never had one iota of problems with the racewares (and believe they have saved my head from warping on an overheat occasion or two!) using the 50ft-lb torque spec, as recommended by the manufacturer.

Jake
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2August 10, 2004, 02:25:16 pm

Centurion

• Junior

RACEWARE HEAD STUDS
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 02:25:16 pm »
I'll dig out my mechanics of material/strenghts of MAT - and get back here.
90 Jetta TD - 589,000km, 90 Jetta TD 448, FrankenJetta ...looking for a Can

Reply #3August 10, 2004, 02:27:01 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

RACEWARE HEAD STUDS
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 02:27:01 pm »
Jake, this isn't a Randy trashing. I never saw the instructions, and they'd been pitched by the time I picked up my engine. For me, it was a toss up as to who to trust. A guy I don't know who couldn't even provide me with the grade of material he uses, or my engine builder who has been involved in almost every facet of combustion engine technology from design to build, rebuild and modify in his time. If he'd simply said "I don't know" then I'd have gone with what Randy said. My engine builder insisted (and confirmed with ARP 'cuz Raceware had already closed for the day) that a 190,000 psi stud of that diameter is at least a grade 9, more likely a grade 12. (Randy said guaranteed minimum 190,000, but on average closer to 220,000) In that case, the torque spec should be  as mentioned earlier.
I didn't measure the thread pitch on these studs, but they looked like the same fine thread pitch of the gas engine ARP studs I've used in the past.
You said you used the same 50# torque spec on your studs, perhaps Randy's info is wrong (he actually said his studs were grade 8 because grades higher than that don't exist!) and we could actually be getting so much more clamping power out of these sets. Really, the factory fastener is tightened more than 50#. Why would a stronger fastener use less? It simply doesn't make sense. That's why I chose to go with the rebuilder's recommendation. I've installed the head twice at those torque specs with no issues. Thoughts?

Reply #4August 10, 2004, 04:48:52 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

RACEWARE HEAD STUDS
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 04:48:52 pm »
Quote from: "Dr. Diesel"
Jake, this isn't a Randy trashing. I never saw the instructions, and they'd been pitched by the time I picked up my engine. For me, it was a toss up as to who to trust. A guy I don't know who couldn't even provide me with the grade of material he uses,

Dr. D - same thing goes for other Aerospace quality hardware.  Usually they use a military grade, or just give direct quote and description of the specification (IE: tensile strength, "suitable for application x", etc.)  Would you want the Society of Automotive engineers, who specialize in cost-effective mass-production of automobiles, having a part in specifying what parts to put on an aeroplane?  On a multi-million $ F1 racing vehicle consisting of very expensive, lightweight but highly stressed components?  It's not the appropriate specification to ask for, IMO.  If aerospace grading (NAS, MIL-spec, etc) is good enough for the space shuttle and Formula 1, etc, it's good enough for me!  Just my opinon anyway.  SAE grading are not reliable and cannot be relied on anyway, I believe they are manufacturing guidelines, not guaranteed tensile strengths.  Aerospace grades are always more reliable than SAE grades from what I hear.  I am not an authority on the subject, but if you wanted to learn more there are a couple books on the subject oriented at serious racecar engineering... and there is primarily a focus on fasteners, fittings, high strength to weight ratio materials, etc.  "Engineer to Win" by caroll Smith (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0879381868/102-1357718-6528149?v=glance) comes to mind.  I don't have this book myself but I would say that is authoritative, and from what I hear, IIRC, Caroll Smith is quite the basher of using SAE-graded fasteners on racecars.

or my engine builder who has been involved in almost every facet of combustion engine technology from design to build, rebuild and modify in his time. If he'd simply said "I don't know" then I'd have gone with what Randy said. My engine builder insisted (and confirmed with ARP 'cuz Raceware had already closed for the day) that a 190,000 psi stud of that diameter is at least a grade 9, more likely a grade 12. (Randy said guaranteed minimum 190,000, but on average closer to 220,000) In that case, the torque spec should be  as mentioned earlier.

As I said before, thread pitch must be considered.  You can't assume they're the same, because the raceware head studs might have finer thread pitch than ARP, therefore require less torque to make the same clamp load.  The thread pitch of the upper part of the raceware studs, which the nuts fasten on to, is certainly finer than the threads at the bottom which screw into the block (equivalent to the stock head bolts.)

I didn't measure the thread pitch on these studs, but they looked like the same fine thread pitch of the gas engine ARP studs I've used in the past.
You said you used the same 50# torque spec on your studs, perhaps Randy's info is wrong (he actually said his studs were grade 8 because grades higher than that don't exist!)

I haven't heard of any SAE grading high than 8 being used either actually...  usually like I said before, you go to NAS (Navy-Aerospace) specification bolt, or other specification more suitable for a highly-stressed component than SAE grading when talking aerospace quality hardware.

and we could actually be getting so much more clamping power out of these sets. Really, the factory fastener is tightened more than 50#. Why would a stronger fastener use less? It simply doesn't make sense.

I would say primarily it's due to the finer thread pitch of the raceware studs/nuts vs the course threads of the stock head bolts.

That's why I chose to go with the rebuilder's recommendation. I've installed the head twice at those torque specs with no issues. Thoughts?

Different metal has different yield characteristics.  Some yield abruptly, IE: shatter when they exceed their yield strength.  This will be quite obvious when it happens...  Other metals (including I think the high strength chro-moly steel used in these kind of bolts) will deform gradually and plastically, so yielding may not be obvious.  An other example of this is the stock strength head bolts - they yield gradually (can we tell one that has already stretched vs a new one?  I don't know - would be interesting to see how significantly the lengths actually differ, of used vs new factory stretch head bolts.)  There could be some stretching along the length of the threaded part for example, caused by a 40% (considerable) overtorque.  Assuming those specs Randy gives are close to the yield point, as I would expect they are, and as they should be.  But I don't know.  50ft-lbs as recommended by Raceware, with non-synthetic oil, and with a beam-style torque wrench not a less-accurate "clicker", has worked well for me and everyone else I know of who has run them in VW Diesels.

Raceware makes it pretty obvious in their instructions/literature they send out with their vw diesel head studs by the way, not to use factory torque specifications but to use theirs for their bolts.  Along with the added requirements of not using synthetic oil to lubricate the threads (but rather non-synthetic) and also not using a clicker torque wrench but an accurately calibrated beam-style.  They are really quite fussy about proper torquing!  It's too bad you didn't get that information when you got your fasteners and/or engine.  Sorry to hear about this and good luck... you might ask Randy what he would advise, besides buying new ones.
Jake Russell

Reply #5August 10, 2004, 11:08:46 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
slippery
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 11:08:46 pm »
You also wouldn't have to torque them so high if the threads were more slippery. Co-efficient of friction is less so it takes less torque on the nut to get the same downward force.
 Raceware coats the fine threads with a special sauce that makes them more slippery ...this is in addition to the 20-50 you add.
the factory fastener is tightened more than 50#. Why would a stronger fastener use less

The threads in the block are not as fine as the threads on the top of the head studs ...thread pitch.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #6August 11, 2004, 06:23:54 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

RACEWARE HEAD STUDS
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 06:23:54 pm »
All valid points. I needed the grade of these studs to do a comparison, to TRY to make two, even three opinions match. It was difficult to decide what to do in this situation.  I'm going to get to the bottom of this once and for all and measure the relaxed lengths of these studs and give Randy a call.

Reply #7August 13, 2004, 08:15:21 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

The saga continues.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 08:15:21 pm »
Well, after pulling the engine apart AGAIN, I had a very close look at the studs. They threaded out of the block easily, and the nuts threaded down the studs easily. Randy said if the studs were stretched, it'd be in the threaded area, indicated by a difficult time threading the nuts, if not by obvious visual clues. Nothing. I measured their lengths and they're still in spec.  Then I compared them to a set of ARP gasser studs. Same diameter, same thread pitch, same 190,000psi tensile strength. The ARP hardware did have it's instructions still, and they said 70 #'s with moly lube. Randy's faxing me the installation instructions to replace the ones that got tossed. I'll see them in about an hour. So now I'm still not convinced. Seems to me that such an gross overtorque as I've twice done already (4 times, if you include the after-up-to-temp-and-cool-retorque) there'd be some sort of indication of damage. So I've got two different  ARP reps, some other fastener company (that I didn't catch the name of--engine builder's supplier) and my engine builder (i'm going to call him MEB from now on to save my fingers) all saying one thing, which I feel makes sense, and Randy (the manufacturer, who should be right) saying another completely different thing, which based on all the facts in front of me, doesn't make sense.

K, just this moment I received my faxed installation instructions from Raceware. I see where you get all your info from, Jake! I can say that I'll be buying a beam type torque wrench tomorrow.

The nugget that tipped the scales
Quote:

"Most RACEWARE Head Stud Kits are supplied with Aircraft style 12 point nuts that have an exclusive anti-friction coating  that lowers friction and improves tightening accuracy, a common problem with other fasteners."

Well, there it is. I guess MEB owes me a new stud set. Fancy how things get frocked up when asumptions are made, and instructions not read. And, now there's another weekend to wait through before I can order another stud set, which means I'll miss Dave's drag weekend. CRAP! :evil:

Reply #8August 13, 2004, 08:59:53 pm

Greasemonkey

• User+

Re: The saga continues.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 08:59:53 pm »
quick question:

At what point are the factory bolts no longer good enough and one must use studs? Also, do I read you correctly, these are the same studs as a 1.8 8v gasser?

BTW, if you're the guy with the mad Mk2 red TD Jetta at the Hershey centre auto-x on May 25th, I have a video of your run. lmk if you want it.

thanks
91 Jetta
87 Scirocco 16v
http://www.vwot.org/~greasemonkey/

Reply #9August 13, 2004, 09:35:51 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Re: The saga continues.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 09:35:51 pm »
Quote from: "Greasemonkey"
quick question:

At what point are the factory bolts no longer good enough and one must use studs? Also, do I read you correctly, these are the same studs as a 1.8 8v gasser?

Nope, gassers are shorter. Not sure at what point studs are required. My old engine sometimes saw 30 psi on stock bolts. Never blew a head gasket.

BTW, if you're the guy with the mad Mk2 red TD Jetta at the Hershey centre auto-x on May 25th, I have a video of your run. lmk if you want it.

thanks

That's me, and I'd love it!
Thanks!

Reply #10August 14, 2004, 02:33:40 am

Blades

RACEWARE HEAD STUDS
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 02:33:40 am »
I want it too !!!!!!!!!

Reply #11August 14, 2004, 02:49:30 am

Greasemonkey

• User+

RACEWARE HEAD STUDS
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2004, 02:49:30 am »
cool, I'll upload it and post a link.

back to the topic, I've heard the 1.6 likes to blow its head gasket if it sees more than 15#'s. I take it there's more than one side to the story? Are you using 1.9L gaskets? I'm also guessing you're using studs because you end up taking your head off often enough?

I'm trying to learn from the side lines, getting ready for a 1.6td build-up.
91 Jetta
87 Scirocco 16v

Reply #12August 14, 2004, 07:56:26 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

RACEWARE HEAD STUDS
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 07:56:26 am »
I'm using OE gaskets. Trust me, if I could possibly avoid it, I'd far rather keep the head on the damn engine and drive the car rather than have it sitting around in pieces, missing autocross races! The studs were used more as a precaution than anything.

Reply #13August 14, 2004, 10:27:24 am

Greasemonkey

• User+

RACEWARE HEAD STUDS
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2004, 10:27:24 am »
I actually forgot I have already uploaded the videos a while ago, here's the link:

http://www.vwot.org/~greasemonkey/May%2024%20videos/

There are some pics of your car too, here:

http://tinyurl.com/3ogl8

So would you say OE 1.6-spec parts are good enough for say less than 20#'s boost?
91 Jetta
87 Scirocco 16v

Reply #14August 16, 2004, 12:12:30 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

RACEWARE HEAD STUDS
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2004, 12:12:30 am »
One advantage with aftermarket, high-quality studs is that if you overheat the motor, for example say you blow a coolant hose and run it until it gets real real hot.  Well in that scenario I think that the extra strength of the head studs really helps keep the head fastened flatly to the block.  With OEM weaker stretch bolts, they can give in that scenario (of overheating) and then the head can warp, or "bow".  Head studs can be the difference of the engine running again as good as it used to following the overheat, vs the head being warped and there being a head gasket leak problem.

I would use my racewares if they were legal in my racing class.  There is another advantage that you can pull the engine apart and put it back together and can re-use the hardware; rather than having to buy a new set of stretch head bolts.
Jake Russell