Author Topic: Major Project Change  (Read 9536 times)

August 09, 2004, 12:53:40 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

Major Project Change
« on: August 09, 2004, 12:53:40 pm »
Many of you are aware that I plan to enter the 25 Hours of Thunderhill this coming December, and that my preferred entry would be my C-Sports Racer. Well, after fully evaluating our options, we have changed course and decided to use an A1 Rabbit .

The principal reason for changing our minds is that after talking with the engineer who built my car, I am convinced that it can't last the distance. My car was originally designed for 30-minute sprint races as a 950-pound Formula Ford with about 100 hp. It now weighs 1300 pounds, but nothing has been upgraded for the additional weight or race distance, like brakes, suspension, electrics, fuel, etc. There is also the issue of racing aound the clock in an open top car at a time of the year when we expect to get pour ing cold rain, but the team was willing to do it if the car could reasonably be expected to last the distance.

Anyway, for the past week or so I have been looking for an A1 Rabbit to build into a GTI Cup or SCCA ITC-type car (NASA will allow NA or TD diesels built to either spec). A few days ago someone emailed me that there was an '84 GTI with a blown engine available in the SF Bay Area for $100. Saturday I called the guy to check it out, but he said that it was no longer available...but that if I could wait a few weeks, he would GIVE me an '83 GTI roller (complete, less engine).

Whoa...! :shock:

Since I was driving within a few miles of his place later Saturday I arranged to go look at it. It's a black, base-model GTI in really good shape. Not even any major dents. I say base model because it doesn't appear to have any upgrades except a manual sun roof and the three-gauge center cluster (were those stock on even base GTIs?). It has manual-crank windows, no a/c, no rear disk brakes, base am/fm radio, manual seats, thin glass, everything! No rust anywhere (California car!), no damage or creases to bumper extensions, strut towers front and rear, or spare wheel well. All the lights, wipers, heater/defroster work. What a find! I can pick it up as soon as he pulls the engine. Oh yeah, it has the wide ratio 5-sp, so it should work well with a diesel.

There's a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm glad to have this settled. Unfortunately, the Quantum's engine isn't a drop-in. I don't think the turbo will fit the Rabbit, so I'll be looking for a Golf/Jetta exhaust manifold and a stock turbo (K-24 or Garret 25?). Anyone have any thoughts on which is better? NASA's diesel rules call for stock engine internals and stock turbo. Intake and exhaust manifolds are free.

Ideas are welcome! :D

Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #1August 09, 2004, 03:00:43 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Re: Major Project Change
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 03:00:43 pm »
Quote from: "VWRacer"
Many of you are aware that I plan to enter the 25 Hours of Thunderhill this coming December, and that my preferred entry would be my C-Sports Racer. Well, after fully evaluating our options, we have changed course and decided to use an A1 Rabbit .

The principal reason for changing our minds is that after talking with the engineer who built my car, I am convinced that it can't last the distance. My car was originally designed for 30-minute sprint races as a 950-pound Formula Ford with about 100 hp. It now weighs 1300 pounds, but nothing has been upgraded for the additional weight or race distance, like brakes, suspension, electrics, fuel, etc. There is also the issue of racing aound the clock in an open top car at a time of the year when we expect to get pour ing cold rain, but the team was willing to do it if the car could reasonably be expected to last the distance.

Great... sounds like the decision is getting easier then  :)

Anyway, for the past week or so I have been looking for an A1 Rabbit to build into a GTI Cup or SCCA ITC-type car (NASA will allow NA or TD diesels built to either spec). A few days ago someone emailed me that there was an '84 GTI with a blown engine available in the SF Bay Area for $100. Saturday I called the guy to check it out, but he said that it was no longer available...but that if I could wait a few weeks, he would GIVE me an '83 GTI roller (complete, less engine).

Whoa...! :shock:

Since I was driving within a few miles of his place later Saturday I arranged to go look at it. It's a black, base-model GTI in really good shape. Not even any major dents.

Awesome, that is great.  Bodywork is a lot of extra expense and IMO it's worth finding a clean body to start with so you don't have to do this.

I say base model because it doesn't appear to have any upgrades except a manual sun roof

blech...  optional and extra weight where you don't want it.  But I suppose cutting it out and riveting an aluminum skin in pace is easy enough if you're not too concerned about cosmetric.  :lol:  Or you could just live with it and leave that as a "to do" for weight reduction later.

and the three-gauge center cluster (were those stock on even base GTIs?).

All A1 ('83-'84) GTIs have the 3-gauge center cluster.

It has manual-crank window

all Rabbits have manual window winders

no a/c

Good!  That saves a good bit of work of having to convert it to non-A/C.  The A/C adds a lot of exyta weight and various parts.  I'd say avoid for racing application when possible.

no rear disk brakes

No A1s were factory equipped with rear discs.  The rear 180mm drum setup is a lot lighter anyway, works find for many other Rabbit roadracers too!

base am/fm radio, manual seats, thin glass, everything! No rust anywhere (California car!), no damage or creases to bumper extensions, strut towers front and rear, or spare wheel well. All the lights, wipers, heater/defroster work. What a find! I can pick it up as soon as he pulls the engine. Oh yeah, it has the wide ratio 5-sp, so it should work well with a diesel.

No A1 cars had power seats.  I don't know what you mean by "thin glass".

All A1 GTIs were factory equipped with close ratio transmissions.  there is a slight difference between '83 and '84 models.  The '84 GTI has the "4K" tranny, can't remember off-hand what the '83 GTI came with.  You can find the transmission code on the bottom of the bellhousing, look for the first two characters.

But even if it's not the transmission ratio you think you'll need, good used transmissions are readily available, and since you will probably want to add a limited slip differential anyway, so you can swap transmissions easily at that time.

There's a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm glad to have this settled. Unfortunately, the Quantum's engine isn't a drop-in. I don't think the turbo will fit the Rabbit, so I'll be looking for a Golf/Jetta exhaust manifold and a stock turbo (K-24 or Garret 25?). Anyone have any thoughts on which is better?

True, the quantum exhaust manifold is not really compatible with transverse engine moutning.  Unfortuntely with that transvere-mount exhaust manifold you won't have room to run that A1 GTI intake you've been hoping for.  I've heard some gasser turbo conversions have successfully installed the stock transverse A1TD exhaust manifold upside down however.  This would require re-clocking the turbocharger so oil goes in at the top and out at the bottom, take a look at whether that would be legal in your class.

NASA's diesel rules call for stock engine internals and stock turbo. Intake and exhaust manifolds are free.

Holey smokes, that sounds an awful lot like SCCA Street Prepared ruleset that I am running under!!!  In that class, are wastegate modifications also not allowed?  If they are restricted, then it seems awfully similar to SCCA SP engine modification rules.

PS - in the "which is better" turbo question, I haven't done any scientific testing, but now that I have both turbos I might be able to.  Some speculate that the Garrett is quicker-spooling and works at a lower RPM and the KKK is slower reacting but more efficient at higher RPM.  I haven't seen any scientific proof or anyone actually testing the 2 turbos back to back, however.

The KKK allows a provision for "fine tuning" the boost to the upper limit of the factory specifications... while the Garrett's wastegate is sealed.  Could be something to keep in mind if you are required to stay withing factory boost specifications and not allowed to make changes to your wastegate - the boost on the KKK could be "blueprinted" to the top limit of the factory specs while that is not easy or possible with the Garrett.  There is a greater than 1 psi range of the factory specs, and most turbos I have seen seem to be on the low side of the spec!  So with blueprinting you can probably gain .5-1 psi.  If you are limited by your rules as to what turbos you can run and at what boost pressure, a .5-1psi change is a significant difference!

FYI - on the issue of chassis weight.  Are you allowed to remove options like power brakes, added trim, etc that is found in the later-model Rabbits, and/or backdate these items to earlier-Rabbit specifications?

If you are not able to remove items like this or back them to earlier Rabbit specifications, you should be aware that the earlier "base model" Rabbits had fewer weight-sapping features that the later model Rabbits had.  But if your class allows backdating or removing the stuff, it shouldn't be a problem, just a little work to make the changes (but you can optimize everything for light weight while you do it.)  You are smart going with a 2dr Rabbit model (as all GTIs are.)  A clean, 70's base model 2dr, no sunroof would be the best find, but I'd say you've got a good find with that $100 clean non-A/C sunroof'ed GTI there.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2August 09, 2004, 03:52:18 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

Major Project Change
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 03:52:18 pm »
Wow Jake, that's a very comprehensive reply...thanks! :D

Thanks for quality-checking my comments. As you can tell, I don't know many specifics about A1 Rabbits anymore, even though I owned two of them! ;)

The guy I'm getting the car from showed me his latest '84 GTI, which I noticed had rear disks, so I guess I thought they were available as an option on A1's.

His '84 also had Corrado seats, so I assume he custom wired them in. I never had a GTI, but wanted to highlight what I saw on the two cars so you experts can weigh-in with suggestions. :wink:

Sometime in the mid-80's, the Feds made car manufacturers go to thicker glass, which adds an amazing amount of weight to the cars. A new Golf is virtually the same size as an A1, yet weighs about 800 lbs more. Much of the new weight comes from safety mandates, and glass is one component in that. After I get the car to my house, I'll measure its glass thickness versus my wife's 2002 Golf TDI.

Trannies...the guy said that his '84 had the "close ratio" trans, which needed a lot more revs to maintain 75 mph than the '83. Maybe the real difference is in the ring and pinion ratio. You got any data on those?

Manifolds are free in SCCA's IT classes, but NASA's GTI Cup rules are a bit different. NASA allows swapping parts around within the 1975-1984 A1 models, and permit headers, but call for an OEM intake manifold. In an email, the NorCal NASA director assured me I could use either set of rules, so I want to build the best engine possible within the rules. Tonight I'll review SCCA's rules in detail and post some highlights so I can tap into the collective brainpower. ;)

In the meantime, you can read NASA's GTI Cup rules here.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #3August 10, 2004, 11:58:53 am

TDIMeister

• Veteran

Major Project Change
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 11:58:53 am »
Yeah, you probably wouldn't want to mate the GTI close ratio tranny to the Diesel, or you'll be running close to your peak RPMs at only 85-90 MPH (unless you expect you peak lap speeds where be in that area...).

With regard to retaining stock/factory components, most classing rules allow forward- or back-dating of parts... so, for example, with regards to turbos, you have a few options that were used on the 1.6 TD.  The key to success in most high-calibre motorsport is to carefully read the rules and then work the fullest extent to the rules to your advantage (while still meeting them)...

Reply #4August 10, 2004, 12:58:36 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

Major Project Change
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 12:58:36 pm »
That 90 MPH number probably won't be too far off, TDIMeister. My well-developed ITC Datsun 510 with a professionally built L-16 engine making about 115 hp gets up to 105 mph on T-hill's longest straight, and has a 2:13 best lap. A top speed of 90 translates to a lap time of about 2:30-2:35, which correlates pretty well to the GTI Cup cars, who's fast laps are about 2:15.

As for parts-swapping, under the GTI Cup rules most components can be swapped within the '75-'84 A1 group. But the A1's aren't the only cars that can run a diesel. Any otherwise eligible car (VW, Chevette, Ford, BMW, MB, Datsun, etc.) can run a diesel if one was available for it. For instance, one could run an A4 Golf TDI if one wished to. In any case, the SCCA IT rules are a little more liberal than NASA's GTI Cup rules, so for maximum performance I am inclined to go with the SCCA rules.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #5August 12, 2004, 09:59:30 pm

veritas137

Major Project Change
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 09:59:30 pm »
Nice project.  Where are you located?  I think I'm somewhat local to you and would love to help or check it out at the track sometime.
Tim
2003 Saab 9³ - hers
1999 Ford F250 - his
1986 VW Golf Diesel - his

Reply #6September 03, 2004, 10:26:13 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

Major Project Change
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 10:26:13 am »
Sorry I missed you post, Tim! I live near Vacaville and will be needing help at the 25 Hours, if no where else... ;)

Anyway, rather than try to build a car from scratch, for about 75% of what the seller wanted I bought this car.

Now I need to get busy and pull the Quantum's engine for rebuild and get the pump and injectors off to Giles... :D
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #7September 03, 2004, 07:36:04 pm

veritas137

Major Project Change
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 07:36:04 pm »
Nice.  Not too far from me and well, fuel isn't a problem for me anymore.  Post up when you plan to do some serious weekend work and maybe I can come up and lend a hand.
Tim
2003 Saab 9³ - hers
1999 Ford F250 - his
1986 VW Golf Diesel - his

Reply #8September 03, 2004, 08:14:23 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

Major Project Change
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 08:14:23 pm »
Thank Tim!  I'll drop you a line, but it'll be the end of Sep or early Oct. I am heading off to the Runoffs next week and won't be back until the 26th.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #9September 04, 2004, 10:20:41 am

andy2

Major Project Change
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004, 10:20:41 am »
well I have done back to back testing with both the 3k and garrett 1.6 turbos ,both turbos are in fairly good condition and both are set up with a boost controller regulating max boost at around 19-20 psi, first I had the k24 on and in certian gears I could get full boost just before 3000 rpm. So I thought I lets try the garrett out and  in certian gears full boost was obtained slightly quicker ,So since the switchover I've had different people in my car and without me saying anything they could notice the slight improvement in acceleration. I'm leaving the garrett on it works well but the k24 is like I said almost no different preformance wise, when I put the garrett on I was expecting it to spool up considerably quicker but that was not the case.Some other differences i noticed right away was that with the garrett on  I could'nt hear it through the intake when downshifting the k24 would wistle when downshifting the garrett doesen't, however at Idle the garrett could be heard through the tailpipe and the k24 was quiet at idle.One thing that I know for sure is that the garrett has to work a lot harder to obtain full boost as compared to the k24. so In this application the k24 might last longer beacuse it does not have to work as hard.  just my 2 cents  :)

Reply #10September 04, 2004, 10:33:36 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

Major Project Change
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2004, 10:33:36 am »
Wow...thanks for the comprehensive report, Andy! :D

I am working with dieseltech to purchase a complete TD setup off a Jetta to fit my Quantum TD engine into my A1 Rabbit. The kit includes a good used K24 turbo, so I should be all set here soon.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #11September 06, 2004, 04:55:04 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Major Project Change
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2004, 04:55:04 pm »
That is interesting to note the differences between turbine noises between the 2 turbos.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #12September 12, 2004, 02:56:03 pm

WishIHadaRabit

• User+

Major Project Change
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 02:56:03 pm »
Here's what I was able to find as far as spec. differences between turbos
KKK K24:
0.48 A/R turbine housing
0.42 A/R compressor housing
35 mm compressor wheel

Garrett: stock on some 1.6l
A/R: 0.36 turbine housing

Garrett: stock on some 90hp 1.9l TDI
A/R: 0.34 turbine housing

As you can see the newer turbos realy choke-off the engine.
OK for low end torque, not so good for higher RPM HP (above 3000RPM)
also very twichy gas peddle.

On my '95 td I connected the turbo cut-off to a switch in the dash and now run no turbo on the highway, car runs much cooler (oil temp. down 15) sounds better, more fuel efficiant, not to mention more pleasant to drive.

I'm going to install my K24 + exhaust manifold + Neuspeed A3 cat-back. (do I need to install the intake manifold from the 1.6l with blow-off valve or is mine ok?)
I also ordered a TT Euro down pipe.

Will let you know how the car feels after the install.

PS: I can't get the boost pin off the 1.6l pump to install it in my 1.9l. Can anyone help?

Reply #13September 15, 2004, 10:07:39 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

Major Project Change
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2004, 10:07:39 pm »
Thanks for the info on TD turbos, but I have a question about this...
On my '95 td I connected the turbo cut-off to a switch in the dash and now run no turbo on the highway, car runs much cooler (oil temp. down 15) sounds better, more fuel efficiant, not to mention more pleasant to drive.

What do you mean by this, because obviously one cannot "turn off" the turbo with an electric switch? Did you disconnect the boost enrichment?
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #14September 15, 2004, 10:47:03 pm

WishIHadaRabit

• User+

Major Project Change
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2004, 10:47:03 pm »
The '95 TD has a switch on top of the fuel pump that goes on at or near idle.
This switch is connected to a vacuum actuator.
(“off” vacuum line is cut off, “on” vacuum is present)
From the actuator the line goes to a fitting on wastegate.
When vacuum is applied the wastegate is wide open bypassing the turbine wheel.