Author Topic: Needle bearing-needle bearing race-steering ssues  (Read 3643 times)

December 15, 2013, 05:22:36 pm

doonboggle

• Junior

Needle bearing-needle bearing race-steering ssues
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:22:36 pm »
I have an 81 rabbit pickup that was recently advised as needing a replacement lower needle bearing... #171419517.  As the result, I have purchased a used one ... but need some input from more knowledgeable owner problems.  My problem is ... I have a fused upper spine; and am not that agile; so I look for a more simple process; if possible..

Several 'pre' issues folks (VWVortex) describe the process of 'HAVING" to remove the WHOLE steering column ... upper steering wheel to lower u-joint ... in order to ascertain, and replace, the bearing (or needle bearing RACE ).

Yet ... I read another that seemed to indicate otherwise.... so I am confused.
All I initially want to ascertain is to try and.....without a lot of spinal issues ... ascertain exactly what I should do.... remove EVERYTHING ... or other process.

Once I do that, I should be able to ascertain ... HOPEFULLY ... what needs to be done; remember, the column's end is not that visible ... and I don't really know how the "steering column tube" is implicated.

I don't mean to be a complainer; but unless you have a spinal issue, it is difficult to relate to my problem.

Thank you for your help ... and guidance.  Hopefully some of you have addressed this previously.
doonboggle

PS:  I have a used bearing; but a replacement race (171419518A) is unable to order at this time; manufactures have recently stopped making them.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:25:23 pm by doonboggle »

doonboggle

1981 Rabbit pickup; 1.6L diesel
2006 Jetta TDI
1971 VW Karman Ghia convertible

Reply #1December 15, 2013, 11:22:23 pm

745 turbogreasel

Re: Needle bearing-needle bearing race-steering ssues
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 11:22:23 pm »
Is that the one at the lower end of the steering column? 
When mine fell off, I hadn't crashed, so I shoved it back in place and retained it with a hose clamp, checked my undies for skid  marks, and continued on my way.

Reply #2December 16, 2013, 12:13:11 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 12:13:11 am »
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5572122-dreaded-steering-column-race-bearing

You really do need to pull it, my back is only moderately screwed, and it's still sucks.
Pay a local kid to pull it out while you instruct/observe, or pull the drivers seat, put down cushions and embrace the pain.

It's a ***ty job, do it all at once and be done with it if you are keeping the car.

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #3December 16, 2013, 03:50:40 am

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 03:50:40 am »
sucks but you need to take it out to see whats up.  condition can vary allot.  i have come across parts basically being intact and just the bearing dropping, to all sorts of destruction.  it would suck if for example the inner piece isn't pressed into place!  if that was gone the bearing won't do you any good, it rides right in the hole of the bearing like spindle.  hopefully that stays put and you just replace bearing.  on used parts if its one piece it could still be loose and want to go down, thats where the clamp comes into play and i think its the easiest alternative if you can't get a new bearing.  if it isn't in pieces.

its not really hard to do, but i was lucky in that my dash, shifter box and seats were out so a tad more room.

i would take the seats out for sure and use moving blankets or something to even out area and maybe lean on your side or back with work light and just do what you can slowly.

you would be working your way from steering wheel down and taking the parts off and keeping them in order to the side will make it easy to put back together.

there is a newer plastic upper bushing for the ignition housing where steering goes through.  i have seen old cars with metal pieces that were smashed enough to make them loose.  so good idea to get one before assembling.

what you have to keep track of is where the car frame for the tube is held tight, there is a plastic collar on the outside that has a notch in it that mates with the bracket.  take a look and picture or whatever so it goes back the right way or it won't sit right and be tight.  this is held tight around tube with a metal clip.  watch for this orientation as well.  you can pop it off with a screwdriver, watch out it can shoot somewhere, wear glasses!  when putting back together you start with side that fits into a tab on the housing and then you use small 2" c clamp or so where it makes sense to put pressure in the right way and it won't take long surprisingly to crank down on it and have the other side POP into place after it passes over a ridge.
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #4December 16, 2013, 04:02:04 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 04:02:04 am »
Be careful not to collapse the steering column when disassembling or reassembling like I did.

After you get both the bearing replaced and everything all lubed up the steering feel is like butter. I'ts not a fun repair but the finished product is pleasing.

Fixmyvw.com