Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Does Power Service Burn Straight Up ?  (Read 3027 times)

December 13, 2013, 07:33:29 am

homerj1

• Veteran

Does Power Service Burn Straight Up ?
« on: December 13, 2013, 07:33:29 am »
Just wondering if Power Service burns straight up - if you put it in your fuel filter?

Was diagnosing a low power issue here in the mighty north. Changed fuel filter and filled it with white Power Service.

Didn't solve the issue. 

Just wondering if I added more problems to the mix?

Reply #1December 13, 2013, 07:35:47 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Does Power Service Burn Straight Up ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 07:35:47 am »
Usually all the additives do not burn well. The only exception I can think of is diesel purge. I filled 1/2 a filter with some additive once and I could not get the car to start until it all finally went out of the filter.

Reply #2December 13, 2013, 08:44:53 am

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 08:44:53 am »
Thanks,

I figured that much.   The car was hard to start (fuel starvation) and worse when I guess the PS was being sucked into the pump. So I'll have to try to pull the filter and try to fill it up with diesel.

And then try to sort out the problem.   I couldn't pull the fuel line this am. I was thinking, if the new filter doesn't resolve it, then I'll try to reinstall my inline Facet fuel pump. As I suspect the thicker fuel at -17 C is hard for my IP to suck in- as this problem started with the cold weather.

Reply #3December 13, 2013, 01:03:28 pm

8v-of-fury!

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 01:03:28 pm »
Better to fill the filter with a diesel/atf mixture.

Reply #4December 13, 2013, 05:27:00 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 05:27:00 pm »
Better to fill the filter with a diesel/atf mixture.

Thanks Jeremy!

Will get some diesel. I changed the fuel filter at 6 am as it was uber cold at -18 C - so I just grabbed what I had - the power service - thought it was very similar in burning qualities as diesel purge. But I guess not.

Will try to sort this out tomorrow in a semi- warm garage.

Still not sure if it was a filter issue or thicker diesel fuel and an Ip that needs a fuel pump to help.    :(

Aivars

Reply #5December 15, 2013, 11:47:40 am

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 11:47:40 am »
Super Car #2 is alive!!! ;D ;D

Since it was -16C outside - pushed SC#2 in semi heated garage ( 40 F) to sit overnight.

Filled new fuel filter with diesel. Reinstalled Facet electric pump.

Ran blueish\clear 1/4 inch fuel lines ( from local Honda motorcycle dealer) from filter to electric pump to IP. (Duh - should have done it earlier - way easier to see fuel flow vs using black rubber line   :-[)

Watched above fuel line fill with fuel - with electric pump on, then started car.  Problem solved!

Although I'm sure which of the above-  dirty filter, cool\thicker fuel, or the IP can't suck like it used to......

[
that's what she said?? as suggested by Mr. Michael Scott, Regional Manager of the Scranton Branch of Dunder Mifflin  :D

Ran like a trooper, although hard to test any fuel starvation issues, as it is snowing blazes.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys!!

Aivars
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:46:49 pm by homerj1 »

Fixmyvw.com