Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Bought an '86 Jetta  (Read 2050 times)

March 15, 2006, 11:47:59 pm

speedy

• Junior

Bought an '86 Jetta
« on: March 15, 2006, 11:47:59 pm »
I brought home an '86 Jetta NA diesel tonight.  I had been looking for a turbo but this was too good of a deal to pass up.  It's really a nice little car with nothing major wrong with it except for oxidized paint.  The motor runs like a top despite over 200k on the odometer.

This car does not smoke one bit under full acceleration so I decided to try turning in the fuel screw on the IP as described on this forum.  There was a metal band pressed on to the screw preventing me from turning it in very far, but I got just under 1/2 turn additional.  This brought the idle speed up and I was not able to reduce it back down enough with the idle set screw - it's all the way out and still idling higher than I'd like.  Not a big deal though.  Took it for a spin and initially couldn't tell much difference.  Still pulled like a... well, like a 1.6NA.  However, I noticed that it pulled a little harder at high rpms.  Before, the power would fall off quickly at higher rpms, such as above 35mph in 2nd gear.  Now, it pulls solidly up past 40mph, and up past 60mph in 3rd.  A nice improvement!

Can anyone tell me if I can remove that metal band and get a further increase in power with my NA motor?  I read about a governor mod, should I try that also?  I'd like to see what this little motor is capable of.

-David

Reply #1March 16, 2006, 12:05:52 am

wyldman

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Bought an '86 Jetta
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 12:05:52 am »
Yes,remove the band,and turn up the screw.It should make more power.Don't go too far,or you may burn it up.That will give you more power overall.

The govenor mod will give you better midrange to top end power,as it fuels hard to the redline,instead of defueling gradually up to the limiter.
Auto Proformance Services - VW Diesel parts and service
(416)565-7282

Reply #2March 16, 2006, 11:30:07 pm

speedy

• Junior

Bought an '86 Jetta
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 11:30:07 pm »
Quote from: "wyldman"
Yes,remove the band,and turn up the screw.It should make more power.Don't go too far,or you may burn it up.That will give you more power overall.

The govenor mod will give you better midrange to top end power,as it fuels hard to the redline,instead of defueling gradually up to the limiter.

Never mind... I was test driving it last night when it was dark, on farm roads and I did not see the smoke.  Got in it this morning and it is smoking a bunch at WOT - I am going to have to back the screw out some because it is gagging everyone behind me.

I did notice that if I keep my foot in it, the smoke clears gradually as the rpms get high.  That supports what you say about the governor above, and based on that I think that if I put the screw back to where it was and perform the governor mod, I will get the top end power without the bottom-end smoke and all will be good.

Thanks for the reply,

-David

Reply #3March 17, 2006, 12:00:55 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
governor mod
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 12:00:55 am »
I think the governor mod is just for turbo diesels.
 I can't imagine it reducing smoke at the low end.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Fixmyvw.com