Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: fuel vent question  (Read 2362 times)

November 26, 2013, 11:20:18 am

air-cooled or diesel

fuel vent question
« on: November 26, 2013, 11:20:18 am »
can someone point me to the ventectomy thread, I put it into search and I didn't come up with the actual ventectomy.
but in any case, lately ive been having a problem with my vent being clogged, draining my water separator is difficult, and it lets air into the system, not just draining straight from tank freely. and ive had other problems related to a clogged vent. the Bentley has a general pic of vent but it doesn't show me much. I was going to buy some line(s) and install at least 1 (the easy 1 if pic is right), and blow out the other line.
I need a pic(s) and some better info as what to do,,,
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:28:39 pm by air-cooled or diesel »

Reply #1November 26, 2013, 12:27:40 pm

air-cooled or diesel

Re: fuel vent question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:27:40 pm »
oh yea,, its an '86 mk2

Reply #2November 26, 2013, 05:28:22 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 05:28:22 pm »
With regards to troubleshooting, just take the cap off the tank and see if that changes anything.  If your flow issues suddenly go away then yup, you've got a venting problem.  If not then it is likely something else.  Most folks around here remove those water separators as well as they seem to cause a whole lot more problems than they solve.

FWIW, the cap itself is supposed to be vented, but if it was replaced with a gas one for some reason it might not be any more.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #3November 28, 2013, 09:55:18 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 09:55:18 pm »
Most everyone just deletes that water separator. It's known to cause problems.
Tyler

Reply #4December 26, 2013, 09:21:07 am

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 09:21:07 am »
it was kind of strange, I took fuel cap off, it would suck, but it wasn't venting even with cap off(not fully). it would suck some, but I felt I still had vent issues cause the water separator wouldn't drain properly. and it still works, like too well, every couple of tanks I need to drain some. at least with separator not draining properly. so next tank full I threw in a can of lubromoly. problem seems to be clearing up. pressing vent now re-allows me to get in 1-1.5 gal more, and separator drains some on its own. maybe I ll open drain for a few minutes to get more thru. I inspected cap and looked clean, im going to get a new oring for cap.
I really don't want to have to go in and clear out expansion tank and lines, but I was thinking of taking hose off vent and that gravity thing, and blowing air thru both(catching on other side), and replacing hose.