S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Anyone use an ALH 2-piece pulley on an AHU?  (Read 3067 times)

November 17, 2013, 07:57:19 pm

rbremiller

• Junior

Anyone use an ALH 2-piece pulley on an AHU?
« on: November 17, 2013, 07:57:19 pm »
I have an ALH 2pc pulley I'm considering for my LT pumped AHU. I want a timing adjustment method that doesn't strain  and mis-align the injector lines. The timing on an LT pump is .80 and requires the pump to move away from the block more than usual. The lines enter the injectors off axis and leak a bit. The 2pc pulley like I have on my 99.5 TDI Jetta is very easy to adjust; the added mass helps smooth the injection pulses. My concern is the the added mass of the pulley will strain the non-reinforced timing belt unlike the one on the Jetta. Has anyone done or researched this? Thoughts? I can figure out the indexing on the 2pc hub; just the possible belt strain is the issue for me. I might reduce the mass of the pulley on a lathe if necessary. I will change timing belt even though the current belt has 15k + a small mishap in its history.

Rich

'91 180k Audi 80Q mTDI DD AHU, K14, LT pump,
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?t=45645
'99 Jetta TDI 204k '02 engine, RC3+E, 11mm IP, .216, Racepipe, 2.5''SS exhaust, PD Lift pump,  Boostvalve, PanzerPlate, boost gauge, MAF delete.
'89 Audi 80Q ...waiting
'85 BMW R80

Reply #1November 17, 2013, 08:03:22 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

Re: Anyone use an ALH 2-piece pulley on an AHU?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 08:03:22 pm »
Yes search land rover pump pulley.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #2November 17, 2013, 08:50:54 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 08:50:54 pm »
I don't think the mass will be an issue in the slightest really.  If anything the extra mass should reduce the strain on the timing belt by smoothing out the jumps from the rollers going up and down the ramps in the IP...  Don't forget, the ALH timing belt was driving the water pump too, that might have something to do with it being different.

I had my ALH pulley machined down but just so it would fit inside the AHU timing cover.  :)
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #3November 17, 2013, 09:01:18 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:01:18 pm »
The hub is larger in diameter than the hole in bracket.  What that means is that you would either need to enlarge the hole in the bracket AND fit a bushing to the pump snout to make it the size of the Land Rover or ALH pump or you would need to remove the hub every time you removed the injection pump.

There is about two teeth's worth of adjustment in the slots of the pump.  The pump timing is set by the relationship between the pump mainshaft and the pump body at TDC.  Because of this, you can jump the belt a tooth and as long as you can rotate the body of the pump the same amount, the pump timing is the same.  If the pump is angled away from the engine, then you can jump the belt one tooth so that the sprocket rotates CCW relative the belt one tooth and then swing the pump the same amount close to the engine for the same timing setting.  You can also bend the lines to fit wherever the pump lands. 

I agree that the later 2-piece setup is very nice.   

Reply #4November 17, 2013, 09:18:32 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 09:18:32 pm »
id do it on a m set up not a e set up... but hell im going to build pulies like that for my 1.6idi cars... i had a custom one made up for my lady pump... like a gasser adj cam gear.. just used the stock ahu pully to get it made...

Reply #5November 17, 2013, 10:29:05 pm

rbremiller

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 10:29:05 pm »
Thanks for the answers. I had a nagging thought about the hub size as well. So; the hub's too big and the pulley has clearance issues. I have a good .70mm-1.30mm range of adjustment; I just dislike disturbing the lines each time I change the timing. I may work on having a keyway cut in the hub to facilitate indexing on re-installation as I've heard suggested previously.
Rich
'91 180k Audi 80Q mTDI DD AHU, K14, LT pump,
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?t=45645
'99 Jetta TDI 204k '02 engine, RC3+E, 11mm IP, .216, Racepipe, 2.5''SS exhaust, PD Lift pump,  Boostvalve, PanzerPlate, boost gauge, MAF delete.
'89 Audi 80Q ...waiting
'85 BMW R80

Fixmyvw.com