Author Topic: Anyone actually running one of the Chinese Prothe heads?  (Read 3128 times)

November 05, 2013, 07:57:48 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Anyone actually running one of the Chinese Prothe heads?
« on: November 05, 2013, 07:57:48 pm »
Anyone running one of these?
Anyone running one of these for prolonged period?
Anyone running one of these for long period with good results?

Do they come with guides which have been properly reamed to size?
Just wondering. Haven't heard anyone say anything related to this for a long time.
Do not confuse with AMC.

The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #1November 05, 2013, 10:20:37 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: Anyone actually running one of the Chinese Prothe heads?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:20:37 pm »
Smokey Eddy ran one on his 1.6/1.9 build for quite a while, and he was definitely not kind to it ! LOL

Reply #2November 06, 2013, 08:06:33 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 08:06:33 am »
yeah and now crazy andy has that head on his aaz, it isn't running yet tho.

but andy works a good pace so long as he has the parts, shouldn't be too much longer.

i had an amc head ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #3November 06, 2013, 08:13:37 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 08:13:37 am »
local sketchy shop uses them. if they had a high failure rate id imagine theyd stop.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #4November 06, 2013, 09:50:45 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 09:50:45 am »
A cylinder head is a complicated enough casting that it's unlikely it's a complete POS - there just wouldn't be any point in making it, even for a dodgy foreign supplier.  There's a very good chance the castings are actually being made for / used by some more reputable vendors, kind of like how Prothe's pistons are just fine (though the rings are crap).

Now, on the other hand the cam / lifters / valve springs in the "loaded" head - those I wouldn't be too keen on using.  Failure of a cylinder head results in needing to do a head job but usually little other damage (unless it tosses a precup!), failure of a valve can completely decimate your bottom end.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #5November 22, 2013, 07:24:04 pm

Blocksmith

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Wrench Lurker
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 07:24:04 pm »
Yeah, I would just save the couple hundred extra and opt for a more reputable head like a Topline. Or have a genuine vw head rebuilt. On a Chinese head, the precups in particular scare me--my brother is a materials science engineer, and has very little good to say about Chinese metallurgy based on the tests he has done on their tools and so forth.
Green 83 Rabbit 4dr, 5 speed ACH trans swap, ported 1.6D mech lifter w/ vnt15, na pump w/ gov mod, gasser intake mani, 2.5" exhaust, bilstein sports and cut mk2 springs, ss brake lines, 14" vw bottlecaps

S-PAutomotive.com