Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: where can i find parts?  (Read 2848 times)

October 15, 2013, 05:08:57 am

air-cooled or diesel

where can i find parts?
« on: October 15, 2013, 05:08:57 am »
for reference if needed, I have mk2 and mk3.

I have a question, where can I find a good parts dealer, parts place is soso, I heard they weren't too hot as far as good/quality parts. in fact I bought 1 part from them this year and it may have been bad. I mean you can call/search online and find a part here and a part or two there, but is there a good retailer? doesn't have to be complete(as far as complete stock of parts for 1 or more cars).
i'd also if somebody has info, finding who has GOOD parts for a good price; also who has high quality parts. as sometimes I a certain brand depending on what $ I have or what quality part I think will be best for application.
if we get good enough answers maybe burn_money will sticky; as will help community.

Reply #1October 15, 2013, 11:37:34 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

Re: where can i find parts?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:37:34 am »
Parts seem to be a crap - shoot, even from reputable shops/websites etc..  I have yet to find a single go-to shop for all of my mk2 needs.

Reply #2October 15, 2013, 12:17:04 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:17:04 pm »
German auto parts is ok most of te time.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #3October 15, 2013, 10:51:31 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 10:51:31 pm »
My major issue with germanautoparts is that they don't tell you the brand of the parts they sell on their website though I guess if you called them they might. This is also something McMaster-Carr does. I have ordered reasonably priced tools from them and had a genuine Snap On item show up in the mail. Cool. So I ordered some other similar things and Harbor Freight grade Made in China "Great Tool Company" crap arrived. Threw it right back at them.

I've used http://www.gowestyautoparts.com/ and believe it or not, Amazon, to get a lot of things.

Reply #4October 16, 2013, 04:10:36 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:10:36 pm »
This is also something McMaster-Carr does. I have ordered reasonably priced tools from them and had a genuine Snap On item show up in the mail. Cool.
lol; good1, i'll bet that made your day.

So I ordered some other similar things and Harbor Freight grade Made in China "Great Tool Company" crap arrived. Threw it right back at them. 
man that's a good 1. me2, I can only think of 1 tool I want from harbor freight, man I don't want to be seen in that store.
its unfortunate harbor freight tools are big on some of these vw forums; then again if only more people had more $ and didn't promote these cheap tools.
I wouldn't dare to use these tools; in the first place they may be detrimental to your good job, they may ruin what you fix to an extent you 'didn't fix it'. they also give false readings making you think you need to fix/or don't need to fix something wrongly. so in the end you may ruin more than your fixing.

Reply #5October 16, 2013, 10:39:09 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 10:39:09 pm »
Harbor Freight discussions at WeldingWeb.com (11K posts):

HF tools that suck
HF tools that don't suck
Modding, fixing, tips, tricks....