S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Help with turbo selection!!!!  (Read 8600 times)

Reply #45October 28, 2013, 11:37:28 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Help with turbo selection!!!!
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2013, 11:37:28 am »
Personally I like my HE221w, I gambled and took a shot with the maps I could find and what you have given up. I still hate the non aluminum v band that is not available anywhere in the states. I also hated that there were 2 pins one on each side so you have to completely take the turbo apart, pull the pins and clock it, knowing that now makes it better and I like that design but it sucked when you don't realize it. It spools like a stock K24 with a 3" downpipe or better and then comes on more so it is a VERY good performing turbo. If you are out for 150whp + then I would say this turbo is it.

Reply #46October 28, 2013, 03:16:40 pm

Alcaid

• Veteran

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 03:16:40 pm »
21lbs/min x 7 so that is 147hp at the crank...no fuel mod, no intercooler. So if you add an intercooler to the 1.9 stock and the fact that the stock aaz had a k14 on it without touching on the performance pump you would have bigger numbers. Add the performance pump and then you get even more. The 7x turbo lbs/min doesn't matter if it is a 1.6 or 1.9 or a 5.7L or does it? I think those #s could be a little fuzzy and therefore quite possible to have 150whp...again, the T3 was great on mine it just didn't last. I think to get big numbers *140+* out of a T3 you will run into turbo life problems but in stock form they seem to take overspeeding quite well.

No no no, the 7lbs/min is what I have seen is what you might end up with when fueling mods, chargecooling and everything is as it should be. The biggest HP 1.6TDI to date I've seen is 270hp at crank tuned with all the good mods, 38lbs/min turbocharger. 270/38 = 7,1

Doesn't matter what motor volume it is as the BSFC and AFR would be equal with equal combustion technology, but the more displacement, the lower the boost is needed to flow the same amount of air.

Your T3 had a bigger compressor wheel capable of more air, but turbine was probably causing high exhaust temperatures and back pressure. This also creates a lot of thrust force on the thrust bearing and all sorts of bad things. I have seen the stock 1.6TD K24 creep up to 1830+°F EGT on a track, scary ***!
'03 VW Golf PD130 4Motion Highline
'10 VW Passat 1.6TDI Highline
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

Reply #47October 28, 2013, 08:33:31 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2013, 08:33:31 pm »
I didn't have high egt but I know the exhaust was a restriction. Highest I saw the egt with the T3 was 750f

You did see the rest of my comment right?

Reply #48October 29, 2013, 09:47:28 am

Alcaid

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2013, 09:47:28 am »
I didn't have high egt but I know the exhaust was a restriction. Highest I saw the egt with the T3 was 750f

You did see the rest of my comment right?

Then you have only been starving the engine for fuel, 750f is not even close to WOT with enough fueling to produce good power. Stock TDIs are even way above that.

I'm sorry but I haven't found a good source for the compressor outlet v-band. We normally just grind it down to a small lip and clamp the silicone hose over it, no headache at all.
'03 VW Golf PD130 4Motion Highline
'10 VW Passat 1.6TDI Highline
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

S-PAutomotive.com