Author Topic: Tdiclubers hate mtdi!!  (Read 22316 times)

Reply #30October 16, 2013, 11:27:34 am

CRSMP5

Re: Tdiclubers hate mtdi!!
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 11:27:34 am »
rover info i saw said 4k limit... so i did the mod to prevent that... but i did not try it first before hand... so no confirmation...

bbob.. its the next try on your cruise... you tried and tested rest.. next step is a vac pump/gauge to see what it takes to open/hold the throttle.. and i really think its too hard a pull fo rthe vac ball... i know my rover pump much stronger then a 1.6 style pump..

Reply #31October 16, 2013, 02:05:37 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 02:05:37 pm »
RE: the vac pod not having enough strength to pull the throttle lever. I just tested with a vac pump and .5 bar of vacuum pulls both my mk2 td and my mtdi passat to full throttle. Now to figure out why my cruise wont work..
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #32October 16, 2013, 07:26:10 pm

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

• VDubShirts.com Awesome VW themed shirts with attitude
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 07:26:10 pm »
I've built both and swapped both, and i like both. both for different reasons really.  nothing beats rolling coal in my mtdi caddy running on stock wiring. If i were going vw to vw swap id probably do etdi swap like i did in the b3. if i were putting it in a toyota or jeep or anything else id do mtdi and save myself the hassle.
Check out www.vdubshirts.com for cool VW themed shirts with attitude.

Reply #33October 22, 2013, 12:40:23 pm

CdnVWJunkie

• Veteran

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2013, 12:40:23 pm »
I agree.  Both swaps have their merit.  There is a lot of misinformation on the tdiclub, without question especially when it comes to mTDIs.  There are a lot of smart people on their but it seems as of late that spending time there requires one to don hip waders to deal with the BS.

That Fat Bastard clip made me laugh out loud.  I haven't watched that movie in a while.

Reply #34October 22, 2013, 01:14:38 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2013, 01:14:38 pm »
I agree.  Both swaps have their merit.  There is a lot of misinformation on the tdiclub, without question especially when it comes to mTDIs.  There are a lot of smart people on their but it seems as of late that spending time there requires one to don hip waders to deal with the BS.

The recent TDIClub forum policy of jumping all over anyone who even remotely discusses anything to do with emissions modification is a great example of something you need hip waders for...

That and the 4,000 threads discussing which oil to use :-/
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #35October 22, 2013, 08:49:51 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2013, 08:49:51 pm »
That and the 4,000 threads discussing which oil to use :-/

holy siht do they love their oil threads.. Its an ALH for Christ's sake.. Anything that is 505.50 or whatever rated. Good TO GO!

Reply #36October 25, 2013, 11:28:42 am

jboogie13

• Junior

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 11:28:42 am »
TDI club is full of people wearing tin foil hats. That being said, I do love my ALH compared to my mechanical diesel. Much easier for me to modify due to better parts availability and much less down time seeing as i have much more experience with the A4 platform than the A2. The creature comforts of the newer cars do make it favorable as well. Also I'm not afraid of computers/electronics work, so that adds to the favorability to the etdi performance modding. (not making a stab at anyone here)

Reply #37October 25, 2013, 12:12:45 pm

• Veteran

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 12:12:45 pm »
I'm a fan of all diesel's mechanical or electric.  The mechanical pumps I've built have worked out well and found that I could control fueling as good if not better than the AHU/1Z computers.  The later AHU computers were 16 bit but the ALH is a 32 bit so the ALH computers can do an incredible job of controlling the fueling and timing once dialed in.  If I ever build another truck it would be an ALH with all the wiring especially if I could figure out how to do my own maps.  There are benefits to both setups and I believe it's important to keep an open mind about both designs.  People who Hate MTDI's usually have very little experience with them or have heard of someone else's bad experience.  My 2001 golf ALH is my favorite diesel at the moment but I also have a built mechanical pump on the shelf for it just in case.
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #38October 25, 2013, 12:25:43 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2013, 12:25:43 pm »
I will say after toying around with my girlfriends mk4 ALH this past week doing the tbelt and messing with vag com I've come to more appreciate the electronic system. my problem with the people on TDI club however is they do not want to think outside their box whatsoever anything against the status quo over there gets your head cut off. I'm considering going electronic on my Passat just for something to do this winter. I still plan on keeping my mechanical pump so when the Chinese start blasting us with EMP. ;)
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #39October 25, 2013, 01:18:19 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2013, 01:18:19 pm »
I will say after toying around with my girlfriends mk4 ALH this past week doing the tbelt and messing with vag com I've come to more appreciate the electronic system. my problem with the people on TDI club however is they do not want to think outside their box whatsoever anything against the status quo over there gets your head cut off. I'm considering going electronic on my Passat just for something to do this winter. I still plan on keeping my mechanical pump so when the Chinese start blasting us with EMP. ;)

thats what i don't like, they're all stuck in a box doing all the same mods, making all these posts like they're engineers and half of what they say is irrelevant or exaggerated or wrong.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #40October 25, 2013, 02:05:13 pm

jboogie13

• Junior

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2013, 02:05:13 pm »

thats what i don't like, they're all stuck in a box doing all the same mods, making all these posts like they're engineers and half of what they say is irrelevant or exaggerated or wrong.

They do spend quite a bit of time ***ing about what country their OEM parts were made in..... ::)

Reply #41October 25, 2013, 09:13:48 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

Re: Re: Tdiclubers hate mtdi!!
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2013, 09:13:48 pm »
Yeah, I would have to agree with most of this. I have had a few helpful comments from people on there, but seems like they are not excepting to "newbies". I don't consider myself a newbie to diesels, but the electronics aspect of it is a bit new to me but I'm giving it a chance. There definitely is some good information on the site, but trying to get excepted into the club is tough.
I don't know why I didn't go here for the help that was needed... Fail.
“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #42October 25, 2013, 10:18:55 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2013, 10:18:55 pm »
Its funny when people go there asking about idi's they just get totally ignored not because their post is dumb but most tdi'rs can't troubleshoot w/o a usb cable and a laptop.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #43October 25, 2013, 10:44:34 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2013, 10:44:34 pm »
just use myturbodiesel.com vs them... few of us good there... :D

Reply #44October 26, 2013, 12:30:01 am

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

Re: Re: Tdiclubers hate mtdi!!
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2013, 12:30:01 am »
Yeah, and it's a $249+ tool!!
Im dealing with this also, I know my timing is slightly off which forces me to purchase this tool, luckily my dad has a mk4 tdi and needs me to do the timing belt, he is splitting the cost with me.
Like I said I'm giving the etdi a chance but there is a good chance I will be getting myself rover pump and calling it a day soon.
“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ