S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: My '82 Black Tie TD  (Read 6390 times)

May 11, 2004, 08:46:22 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

My '82 Black Tie TD
« on: May 11, 2004, 08:46:22 am »
if you recall from the old forum, some dope's ford truck rolled into my car in a parking lot and did enough damage that it was in danger of being written off.. well the appraiser and bodyshop came to an agreement and it will be fixed.

the drive to the bodyshop yesterday was great. i shaved a little more weight (took off the rear bumper and a few other things), so there was yet again, even a little bit more power... sunroof open, it was a beauty day.

i can't wait to get the rabbit back and go for a spin, should only be a few days.

PS - where do we put off-topic posts in this forum? is this the right place?

Reply #1May 12, 2004, 09:35:32 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

My '82 Black Tie TD
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 09:35:32 am »
i'm trying to decide on a colour for the rabbit... not an easy thing to do!

this is the colour the car is now (original colour), slate green metallic:

this is atlas grey metallic which i really like:

nimbus grey:

here is a car that is dark blue in person, but in this shot it looks like really dark grey... i like the really dark grey idea:

and here is black. oh.. what a sweet sweet car this is:

i've narrowed it down to original colour, black, or some kind of dark grey/gunmetal/metallic. this will be the only colour change for this car (as long as i own it anyway), so i don't want to pick something i'll be sick of in 2 months.

PS - if it was german-built i would keep it original colour. but it's US-built, getting a german front end and taillights, and the original colour was never offered on german-built rabbits... so i'm not too concerned with 'keeping it original' in that respect.

Reply #2May 12, 2004, 02:04:40 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

My '82 Black Tie TD
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 02:04:40 pm »
I have never been a fan of black cars. Maybe I'm just lazy and don't care to spend much time primping my cars, but black requires a lot of work to keep looking good. OTOH, dark gray, dark blue, dark green or even dark red look pretty good even when the car can use a wash, so those are my favorite car colors. And since you don't seem to mind that your car is ugly right now, I somehow get the idea that you are not a wash-n-wax nut... :wink:

That's my 2¢... :roll:
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #3May 13, 2004, 09:18:12 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

My '82 Black Tie TD
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 09:18:12 am »
i picked up the car from the bodyshop last night. the accident damage is fixed, new rear panel welded in from rear quarter seam to rear quarter seam, and just above the floorpan. they even smoothed out the US inner-taillight holes, they're gone.. and get this, they smoothed over the license plate light holes!!  :shock: i didn't ask them to, but the bodyguy just went ahead and did it, which is funny because i was considering doing that anyway, well he made the decision for me LOL. i'll rig up something to be legal.

now its back in my hands for minor bodywork, sanding, priming.. and in about a month it will go back to the shop for a full respray.  :D

thanks for the reply VWRacer. you're right on the money! if keeping the car clean wasn't an issue, i would have already made up my mind to paint it black. i don't want to be wash/waxing it constantly.. and i usually just go to the public coin-operated wash places, i'd never consider that with a black car... there is bound to be some grit on that brush from previous use. that would kill a shiney black paint job.

i'm thinking...
atlas grey
nimbus grey
or a mix of one of those colours with black to darken it a little
..and then a coat of clear

i'll snap some pics for you guys soon  :) ..i'm going for another drive  :lol:

Reply #4May 13, 2004, 01:52:15 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

My '82 Black Tie TD
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 01:52:15 pm »
pictures when i bought the car in december:

can you tell which rear tire is a little undersized??

arch gap

this is the small tire corner

scirocco seats peaking out

kinda shabby when this picture was taken. only thing the same now is the seats...

someone mentioned i should try to shave a little weight?  :lol: spare tire and speaker trays are gone now too

sorry, i didn't get an engine shot with the tired 1.5L. i'll get the digital camera out tonight after work for some 'bodywork in-progress' shots, and maybe one under the hood.  :)

and a little one of the G60 for good measure  :D

Reply #5May 13, 2004, 03:12:10 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

My '82 Black Tie TD
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 03:12:10 pm »
actually i had already converted to the european tails the weekend before the car was hit (i think i mentioned something about it on the old forum in my 'clacking' post). the bastid smashed up perfectly good euro tails, fresh install... rrrr!  :evil:

..but the replacement panel i got was from a US car, so the extra holes had to be eliminated, again.

the body panels for the single rounds i bought a couple months ago. my friend is having his welder fixed this week and then we're going to go to town on the rabbit. when we're done, it goes for paint with a 'german-spec' body.  :)

Reply #6June 07, 2004, 02:08:37 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

My '82 Black Tie TD
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 02:08:37 pm »
still haven't snapped those pics for you guys, soon!

i can't find a factory VW colour that is as dark as i want (without being black) so i am leaning towards a porsche colour... titanium metallic:

you can kind of get a better feel of the colour from this pic:

Reply #7June 18, 2004, 10:57:03 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

My '82 Black Tie TD
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 10:57:03 am »
i went and picked up my replacement hatch last night... its the last part i needed to repair the little 'bump' the car sustained a couple months ago. it will be a little mis-matched until it gets repainted, but at least the car is back to being straight and clean again. phew.

on the way back home i stopped in at a weigh station and was surprised to find that my estimate for vehicle weight was bang on the money.  :lol:

870kg / 1918Ibs without driver, with 1/2 tank gas and the extra hatch.

so... sub-1900Ibs without driver and with 1/2 tank. i'm guessing 1865Ibs without the extra hatch, no driver, no fuel.

i'm happy with that for now :)

Reply #8June 20, 2004, 08:30:09 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

My '82 Black Tie TD
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2004, 08:30:09 am »
That's a clean little car you have there- cant wait to see it when she's done!  :)  
There are two VW colors that I like a lot, I'm sure you have seen them before but they are worth a mention.  The first is I think called "Platinum Grey Metallic" and most of the A4 and Passat cars can get it, it's a real deep, dark grey metallic, and it almost looks like gunmetal.  It might have been that same color of the Chyanne that you posted.  I love it.  Contemplating on getting the Scirocco painted that color when the times comes.  Also, I know how much of a pain Black is, (I have a black Camaro that REFUSES to stay clean) but VW also has a color called "Black Magic" that only comes on the VW R32's.  It's black, but it has a small amount of metal flake in it with a pearl-effect clearcoat.  It is wicked looking and pictures dont do it justice.  If you havent seen it, stop by a VW dealer and take a peek.  :)

Good luck with your bodywork!

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green