S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Swapping a 1.6 td / Restoring a MK1 rabbit  (Read 2485 times)

September 17, 2013, 06:38:55 pm

nazrat007

Swapping a 1.6 td / Restoring a MK1 rabbit
« on: September 17, 2013, 06:38:55 pm »
Hi there, I'm a newbie. My project is a 83 rabbit I grabbed from a friend, really really solid car. The interior is pretty rough but I'd rather refurb the interior than be in sheet metal hell, haha. I'm installing a 1.6 td that I'm still acquiring some parts for. I'm going to buy a rebuilt 020 trans w/ upgraded diff once I finish the motor. I've researched for awhile but this my first diesel build so I look forward to respectful advice and suggestions.

Goals: approx 150-175 hp "safely"

Engine parts acquired:
 -machined block (mechanical)
 -machined crank
 -new head (mechanical) from eurospec sport
 -rebuild pump from Giles
 -rebuild injectors from Giles
 -turbo core/ haven't decided what specs would be best  (dont know much about turbos, I want good response and boost in lower rpms thinking that a variable would be best)  **would like to hear suggestions from you guys**

Engine parts needed:
 -connecting rods; debating on grabbing h-beam and having them rifled (over kill)
 -new turbo diesel pistons
 -hoses and fresh plumbing; I want to to running solid (stainless steel) lines were possible
 -intercooler
 -upgraded and/ modified intake manifold
 -All fresh hardware

Braking: still needed
 -planning on upgrading front discs and later the rears
 -run stainless lines

Suspension: still needed
 -upgrade to coil overs; preferably koni but not sure I have to price and compare specs
 -fresh ball joints, bushings and motor/tranny mounts

Interior:
 -new carpet, headliner and door cards. I want the interior to match my recently acquired grey recaro's
 -clean, inspect, repair and modify cluster(I want the tac to work); previously a gasser rabbit

Exterior:
 -full tear down da, perform body repairs, spray underside and interior w/ chassis saver.
 -probably spraying it with bright silver or gun metal grey

My wishlist: In case santa is listening and thinks I'm a good boy
 -meth injection
 -tubular exhaust manifold
 -head porting/ bigger valves
 -3'' stainless down pipe and 2.5'' exhaust

I hope to have this finished by March or sooner. Fingers crossed

pics coming soon as I sort out reducing file size
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:39:52 pm by nazrat007 »

Reply #1September 17, 2013, 08:26:54 pm

Blocksmith

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Wrench Lurker
Re: Swapping a 1.6 td / Restoring a MK1 rabbit
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:26:54 pm »
Sounds like we got the same car--83 rabbit with a rough interior, but a solid chassis. Is yours a 2 or 4 door?

You've already figured out the most important part of the equation--that Giles pump  :D
Don't forget an intercooler, and free-flowing exhaust; in regards to turbos, there should be several good options for that power level. My goal is taking a vnt15 to 150, and then perhaps adding something bigger for a compound setup...? But anyway. You might want to look into better flowing intake manifolds as well.
If you're so inclined, even a home porting job on the head would be of great benefit--the exhaust ports in particular suffer from a very abrupt turn and an awful lip that really ought to be smoothed out if you're after any kind of horsepower.

What kind of tools/fabrication capabilities are available to you? I'm rather curious to see where you go with this, as your plans sound similar to my own.
Green 83 Rabbit 4dr, 5 speed ACH trans swap, ported 1.6D mech lifter w/ vnt15, na pump w/ gov mod, gasser intake mani, 2.5" exhaust, bilstein sports and cut mk2 springs, ss brake lines, 14" vw bottlecaps

Reply #2September 17, 2013, 08:54:55 pm

nazrat007

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:54:55 pm »
It's a two door. I got an incredible deal on it, under $500. Compound setup's sound pretty cool. I'm probably going to wait to do porting til i can afford to have a shop do it, aluminum makes me nervous. I've read the pd intakes are nice. I saw some pics of those passenger performance intakes pretty slick. I have a friend thats welder that I'm going to try have fab one up. I'm planning on running 20 psi most of the time after the break in. I worked at volvo for a while and have been mostly restoring muscle cars since I was a kid. Back in college for an engineering degree. Welding steel isn't a big deal for me but stainless or aluminum I have no experience at all.

Reply #3September 18, 2013, 07:54:32 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 07:54:32 am »
i have been thinking that running a vw gasser intake manifold thats had a stage 1 port job done by scientific rabbit would be nice.  they don't charge much for stage 1.  for turbos theres lots of options, u really have to know what u want,  imo a built engine with giles pump, ported head, good intake, and a free flowing exhaust will have plenty of power off boost for getting around in traffic, and if u can sacrifice instant boost for a slightly larger turbo you can have alot more power.  but really with most of the modern turbos(even non vnt)  you can have your cake and eat it too, fast spool times with exceptional top end power.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #4September 27, 2013, 07:27:16 pm

monomer

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 07:27:16 pm »
Sounds like we got the same car--83 rabbit with a rough interior, but a solid chassis. Is yours a 2 or 4 door?

Same here.

2door. Mine wasn't so cheap, though.
-1983 Rabbit LX 1.6/1.9 VNT build

Michigan Volkswagen Enthusiasts
www.michiganvw.org

S-PAutomotive.com