Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: injector heat shields stuck  (Read 2541 times)

September 10, 2013, 01:59:16 am

Kazuki

• Junior

injector heat shields stuck
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:59:16 am »
as it says my heat Shields are stuck as i need to replace them  and i cant seem to remove them ive soaked them in pblaster over night and they still don't want to come out ive tried heating them and still no luck any tips ? im loosening my mind

Reply #1September 10, 2013, 03:22:40 am

CRSMP5

Re: injector heat shields stuck
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 03:22:40 am »
do not put oil in them holes...... bad idea.. you gotta get it out now.....

i tap a long tapered punch into the middle of them... but do some depth searching first.. too long and you poke hole into coolent passagwe... then give a wiggle and out the come on the punch...

Reply #2September 10, 2013, 04:21:53 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 04:21:53 am »
Bike spoke or coathanger bent in tight hook usually serves me well.

Reply #3September 10, 2013, 06:14:12 am

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 06:14:12 am »
do not put oil in them holes...... bad idea.. you gotta get it out now.....

Ahh..... hit the starter?

PB Blaster is not going to help. The injectors were not sealing and they are carboned up, not rusted. I like to start with a punch that is about 1/2 the diameter of the injector nozzle. Give it a good whack with a heavy hammer. You are trying to break up the carbon under them and deform the heat shield in hopes of breaking the carbon under it.  Next I use a tapered punch that will just fit into the hole in the heat shield. Again, give it a good whack which should stick it in the heat shield. Then wiggle the punch in hopes of freeing the heat shield up. If worse comes to worse I heat the heat shield with an acetylene torch to red hot and let it cool a bit and try working it out. Some are a *** but I have never seen one that I could not get out. Don't worry about hurting the head with the torch. (Unless you are trying to use a huge rosebud, of course.) A welding tip is all you need. Be careful with the torch if the motor is full of PB Blaster though. That stuff is as volatile as white gas.

Reply #4September 10, 2013, 06:52:38 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 06:52:38 am »
Don't hit the heat shields too hard. You'll can bugger up the head.

Sometimes all you need to do is crank it over and they will blow out. I usually take a small punch and do a bunch of small taps around the outside of the heat shield. If that doesn't knock it loose I stick the punch in the hole of the heat shield and rock it back and forth. That pretty much always works.

Unless you put a lot of PB blaster in there, I'd just crank it over and blow it over. If there is a lot I'd just turn it slowly and let it run out the injector hole. I doubt you put that much in there though
Tyler

Reply #5September 11, 2013, 12:43:54 am

Kazuki

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 12:43:54 am »
got them out with a easy out was a PITA just hope nothing fell on the piston i vacuumed it out a couple times im going to crank it over by hand and hope shes clean other wise the heads coming off .

Reply #6September 13, 2013, 09:12:19 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 09:12:19 pm »
You had to get the shields out with an easy out???

Wow, I have never seen them stuck so bad.

Reply #7September 13, 2013, 10:16:01 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 10:16:01 pm »
I've had a couple of severely stuck ones.  I just ran a propane torch on them until they started to smoke and then they came out without any effort. 

Reply #8September 16, 2013, 05:07:41 pm

Kazuki

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 05:07:41 pm »
You had to get the shields out with an easy out???

Wow, I have never seen them stuck so bad.

yeah it was pretty bad

Fixmyvw.com