S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1989 vw jetta 1.6 turbo diesel  (Read 3339 times)

August 22, 2013, 05:32:52 pm

millertime

• User+

1989 vw jetta 1.6 turbo diesel
« on: August 22, 2013, 05:32:52 pm »
Hello every one.  I have decided to let my beloved jetta go.  I have spent about a year swapping the 1.6 eco turbo in, it was a 1.6 na.  It leaks a little coolant and oil, havent gotten around to fixing finding the leaks.  The entire coolant system except the heater core is new.  I'm talking all of it, radiotor, the hard line that goes over the transmission, water pump, oil cooler, I have only used distilled water and the pink audi coolant.  I got some sweet front seats, there out of an audi 1000, way better than racos, the slider bushings are new and still a little stiff it takes some effort to move the seats.  New clutch and all seals, except head gasket.  2 and half inch exhuast from the down pipe back, sounds awesome it has a resignator and moroso trick flow muffler.  And brand new tires. I changed all the parts of the shifter assymbly so its nice and tight.   I'm selling it for a few reasons. 1. I have way to many projects, 2 I have a super sweet ford ranger diesel and im much more of a truck guy, 3 the wife is sick of it, 4 im sick of working on it. 
  I have had super bad luck with DIESEL RX glow plugs and thats whats in there now, they burned out on my ford 7.3idi after like 1 month I almost rebuilt the engine on my ford cuse i thought there was new plugs to go bad that fast, and im pretty sure they just burned out on the vw, ill do my best to get them all changed out before the sale.  I dont have a smart phone any more and i lost my camera charger but i will try and have the wife text pics to any one intersted. 
LASTLEY:  I suspect the head gasket could be bad, excisive water, oil pressure. I havent verified cuse i kind of dont want to know but there isn't oil in coolant or vise versa and the wife doesn't notice any issues while shes driving it. 
I'd really like to get 3500 make me an offer.
I'm located north of seattle oh I'm leaving the country for japan in about a week so if your in a hurry to by that would be awesome but I can wait until i get back. 

Reply #1August 22, 2013, 05:33:38 pm

millertime

• User+

Re: 1989 vw jetta 1.6 turbo diesel
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 05:33:38 pm »
The turbo was rebuilt like 1000 miles ago when i did the swap.  By a shop in california.  It sounds awesome. 

Reply #2August 25, 2013, 12:01:52 pm

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 12:01:52 pm »
What kind of mileage do you get with the TD Ranger?

Reply #3August 25, 2013, 09:32:39 pm

Blocksmith

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Wrench Lurker
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 09:32:39 pm »
You're going to Japan?  :D Jealous; I'm in school right now, planning to teach English in Japan after I graduate in May. Where in Japan are you headed?
Green 83 Rabbit 4dr, 5 speed ACH trans swap, ported 1.6D mech lifter w/ vnt15, na pump w/ gov mod, gasser intake mani, 2.5" exhaust, bilstein sports and cut mk2 springs, ss brake lines, 14" vw bottlecaps

S-PAutomotive.com