Author Topic: 1.6 GTD smoking like a locomotive  (Read 1820 times)

August 18, 2013, 04:32:31 am

phaetonv10

• Junior

1.6 GTD smoking like a locomotive
« on: August 18, 2013, 04:32:31 am »
I recently got a GTD engine, SB, put in new injector nozzles, k&n cone.
It runs perfectly, starts instantly with glow plugs, starts fine when warm, no visible blow by cold or warm.
The only problem, when I put my foot down, thick black smoke, very thick, pours out the back all through the rev range and if I keep my foot down at the rev limit, the thick black smoke changes colour to gray.
My guess is that it's pumping in too much fuel!!! Should I mess with the fuel screw?? I messed with it once before and wasn't a good experience so I am very hesitant.
And secondly, I am currently running the engine without an IC. The original GTD IC won't fit because the AC pipes, clutch cables, etc are in the way of the IC and brackets. Suggestions????

THE LEMON
1.6 GTD, FMIC, ARP Studs, Brembo brakes, Power Clutch, ibiza tdi twin fan setup, Racing Seats, 40 mm all aluminium radiator, audiophile music.

Reply #1August 18, 2013, 10:30:21 am

Blocksmith

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Wrench Lurker
Re: 1.6 GTD smoking like a locomotive
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 10:30:21 am »
What kind of boost are you making? Also, you might want to double check that those injector nozzles are indeed the correct VW nozzles; Bosch and Zexel made many different nozzles that are physically interchangeable, but have a very different spray pattern.

Check to see whether the collar has been removed from the max fuel screw; if it has, then somebody has played with the pump in the past. There could also be something wrong with the LDA module, such that it's not limiting fuel properly when off-boost. Do you have another pump on hand that you know worked properly?

As for the IC, without knowing anything else, I'd say your options are kind of dependent on your fabrication capabilities. You still have the A/C in, so that's going to make a FMIC much harder; what about a small AWIC?

Green 83 Rabbit 4dr, 5 speed ACH trans swap, ported 1.6D mech lifter w/ vnt15, na pump w/ gov mod, gasser intake mani, 2.5" exhaust, bilstein sports and cut mk2 springs, ss brake lines, 14" vw bottlecaps

Reply #2August 18, 2013, 09:18:05 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:18:05 pm »
The SB engines had the IC over in place of the battery did they not?

Reply #3August 18, 2013, 11:40:47 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 11:40:47 pm »
Back off the Fuel screw on half turn if it doesn't help do another half turn.  Still BAD?  ONE more half turn.  Should be seeing results of less Black smoke by then.  If now no power on take off start turning it back in one quarter a turn at a time.

Something should change here. 

Reply #4August 19, 2013, 12:55:30 pm

phaetonv10

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 12:55:30 pm »
Messed with the fuel screw today. Made loads of difference. Actually a friend, who is a genius, did while I was at a job interview.

He also did the LDA switch around. And told me to change the fuel filter, which incidentally I haven't changed for ages. Almost 4 years. :P

I will start working on fitting a boost gauge and a FMIC which I bought 3 years ago.

And YES, GTDs came with the intercooler but since my car has an AC, I can't fit that because the AC pipes come in the way.

Will post pictures when done. :)
THE LEMON
1.6 GTD, FMIC, ARP Studs, Brembo brakes, Power Clutch, ibiza tdi twin fan setup, Racing Seats, 40 mm all aluminium radiator, audiophile music.

Fixmyvw.com