S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Loud rattle after modding the plunger 1.6TD  (Read 6298 times)

Reply #30September 19, 2013, 07:59:23 pm

Blocksmith

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Wrench Lurker
Re: Loud rattle after modding the plunger 1.6TD
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 07:59:23 pm »
Having donned my flame suit...IIRC reading that Giles removes most or all of the dynamic advance in a lot of his pumps; would that help?

I was under the impression that one of the critical things that makes Giles pumps so incredible is that he puts in more dynamic advance. He says to time them to a more retarded static position, IIRC from my reading, precisely because he's got the dynamic advance built in.
Green 83 Rabbit 4dr, 5 speed ACH trans swap, ported 1.6D mech lifter w/ vnt15, na pump w/ gov mod, gasser intake mani, 2.5" exhaust, bilstein sports and cut mk2 springs, ss brake lines, 14" vw bottlecaps

Reply #31September 19, 2013, 08:25:25 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 08:25:25 pm »
No I think it is the opposite, he builds a ton of dynamic advance into the pump. He also says a timing spec of .90-.95mm as the base timing is not needed as much because of it. Giles pretty much deletes the governor, if that is what you were thinking.

Reply #32September 19, 2013, 11:41:38 pm

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 11:41:38 pm »
Having donned my flame suit...IIRC reading that Giles removes most or all of the dynamic advance in a lot of his pumps; would that help?

I was under the impression that one of the critical things that makes Giles pumps so incredible is that he puts in more dynamic advance. He says to time them to a more retarded static position, IIRC from my reading, precisely because he's got the dynamic advance built in.

No I think it is the opposite, he builds a ton of dynamic advance into the pump. He also says a timing spec of .90-.95mm as the base timing is not needed as much because of it. Giles pretty much deletes the governor, if that is what you were thinking.

More, not less, dynamic advance does make sense and given Giles timing recommendations more understandable...thanks

:-[

S-PAutomotive.com