Author Topic: Timing Belt Problem....need assistence  (Read 4204 times)

March 12, 2006, 12:23:00 am

HermTDI

• User+

Timing Belt Problem....need assistence
« on: March 12, 2006, 12:23:00 am »
Car Info: 1989 Jetta N/A (ME Eng.)
I've been working with a local (to me) owner on this car on multi issues. We/ve covered a lot of ground on this car to bring her "up to speed". Mostly getting the car caught up on some long neglected issues:

Replaced the whole exhaust system
New rear brakes & parking brake cables
New rear brake slave cylinders
New Suspension (front & rear)
Replaced bent inner tie rod (right side)
Brake system flush
Replace all of the door handles
Replaced the shift linkage bushings and rods
Aligned the shift points with the alignment tool

The last issue is where the head ache resides...the Timing Belt (TB).

When I removed the TB cover I found the edge of the TB badly worn & frayed. I removed the old TB and installed a new TB & tensioner.
However...the pump would not move when I tried to adjust the timing.
After much work at last we were able to make the pump move to make a timing adjustment. As soon as we started the engine we both watch the TB "wonder" back & forth as the TB passed from the pump sprocket down to the intermieadate sprocket. By the time the TB travles down to the crank shaft sprocket the TB is partialy off of the crank sprocket about 1/4".
This isn't good. We debated what was the cause ...We desided to replace the intermeadiate shaft sprocket. This improved the situation but did not fully eliminate the TB wonder issue.

After some research on another VW diesel forum it was recommended to replace the pump mount plate. This is the plate that the injection pump is mounted to...not the rear TB cover.
Dieselgeek managed to get us a new mount plate (one of two in all of north America). Again...this new mount plate has not solved the problem.

As a last resort...we decided to remove and inspect the crank shaft sprocket. We did this...to inspect the mating faces between the crank sprocket and the crank shaft. All was clean and in good condition. We replaced the crank sprocket mount bolt (torqued correctly).

This problem still persists...we are at our "witsend"...we've checked and double checked every component in the TB path.

New TB & tensioner...new intermidiate shaft sprocket, new pump mount plate. Every other item that comes into contact with the TB has been inspected...cleaned and double checked.

Does anyone have an idea as to the cause of this problem????

TIA
Herm

Imagine a 1989 Jetta...good shape inside & out...and alot of new components...and we can't drive this little honey

Reply #1March 12, 2006, 01:58:13 am

LeeG

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 01:58:13 am »
'97 Passat TDI

Reply #2March 12, 2006, 06:32:01 am

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 06:32:01 am »
It would be hard for me to beleive that bad ip bushings could cause timing belt walk at the crank. The intermediate pulley has a ridge which guides the belt as does the timing tensioner on the other side of the sprocket. Not that I have a better idea...I'm stumped.

Reply #3March 12, 2006, 09:14:46 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 09:14:46 am »
Worn injection pump bushings will tend to make the belt track to the inside, not the outside. The belt will always track towards the side of the pulley it contacts first. I have lots of recent flat/conveyor belt tracking experience, its been a steep learning curve...

I have a TSB on the subject of timing belt tracking. In the TSB they recommend loosening the pump bracket, pushing the outer end down and the inner end up and then tightening it. This will lean the injection pump pulley down and cause the belt to track inward. I can e-mail the TSB if you like.

Reply #4March 12, 2006, 11:03:19 am

HermTDI

• User+

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 11:03:19 am »

I have a TSB on the subject of timing belt tracking. In the TSB they recommend loosening the pump bracket, pushing the outer end down and the inner end up and then tightening it. This will lean the injection pump pulley down and cause the belt to track inward. I can e-mail the TSB if you like.

Please...e-mail me the TSB...I and the owner of this car would be gratefull for your assistence.

Thank you,
Herm

E-mail: [email protected]

Reply #5March 12, 2006, 01:44:52 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 01:44:52 pm »
ive seen bent tensoner studs before,,,it doesnt take much,,,,,,
Throttle cables ftw