Author Topic: help with motor mounts for alh engine into vanagon diesel.  (Read 5824 times)

August 02, 2013, 04:41:58 pm

felipe1f

• User+

help with motor mounts for alh engine into vanagon diesel.
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:41:58 pm »
Hi fellow members, I have an alh 1.9 diesel engine I got to put in my 82 diesel vanagon.after I got it i started researching it (not a good idea i should have researched it before) anyway I found out I need different motor mounts to fit this engine into my vanagon.I saw some postings in this forum,where the owners built their own mounts, ( I am not that handy to do that) can someone tell me if I can buy them and how much the cost would be?,depending on cost I might go for an older 1.9 diesel engine. is it worth it to spend money on the motor mounts? or it would better to get an engine that would fit the stock 82 vanagon diesel mounts?
all help and advise is greatly appreciated. my engine came from a 2002 vw Jetta.

Felipe
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:40:29 pm by felipe1f »

Reply #1August 02, 2013, 10:09:40 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

Re: help with motor mounts for alh engine into vanagon diesel.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:09:40 pm »
I'm not an authority on the later engines, but I'm fairly certain the ALH is more involved than just the motor mount; the block is a different casting and design, and the Vanagon Diesel oil pan does not bolt up to it. Your choices are to make a hybrid oil pan (done and documented) or convert to a 15-degree mounting angle, which means cutting clearance holes in the access hatch and a whole new set of mounts...

And then there's the electronics... unless you get a mechanical injection pump built for it.

Here's some reading;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=alh&search_forum=20

Here's one that Andrew Libby is working on currently;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560178&highlight=alh

You can get a modified motor mount for TDIs at www.greaseworks.com, among others. The reason for this is the low-hanging turbocharger that is a severe clearance problem on the left motor mount.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:16:19 pm by Syncroincity »
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #2August 03, 2013, 12:06:54 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 12:06:54 am »
Hi fellow members, I have an alh 1.9 diesel engine I got to put in my 82 diesel vanagon.after I got it i started researching it (not a good idea i should have researched it before) anyway I found out I need different motor mounts to fit this engine into my vanagon.I saw some postings in this forum,where the owners built their own mounts, ( I am not that handy to do that) can someone tell me if I can buy them and how much the cost would be?,depending on cost I might go for an older 1.9 diesel engine. is it worth it to spend money on the motor mounts? or it would better to get an engine that would fit the stock 82 vanagon diesel mounts?
all help and advise is greatly appreciated. my engine came from a 2002 vw Jetta.

Felipe

Here's my advice.  If you have a stock 1.6 diesel vanagon already then sell the ALH and purchase an AHU.  It has the same engine displacement, bore, stroke and fuel system and so will deliver the same performance and the same fuel economy BUT, unlike the ALH, it will mount into your vanagon using all your stock mounting parts.  The ALH is an excellent engine, but the AHU fits so much easier in a stock diesel vanagon.  You will need to change/re-gear your transmission with either one.  You also might want to post this up in the TDI forum or even on the Samba which is more vanagon specific, or both.

Here's one that Andrew Libby is working on currently;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560178&highlight=alh

I haven't been working on it lately, I've just been enjoying driving it.  My wife totally loves it.  It's very nice to have a vanagon that we both enjoy driving.    

Reply #3August 03, 2013, 12:15:33 pm

felipe1f

• User+

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 12:15:33 pm »
Thank you all for the information,what Libby suggested is the best way for me to go.I am already running a DU
code tranny with 4.86 gears it came from a 1985 vanagon I believe. My brother help me to put a turbo in the n/a engine and it has been running good with enough power and economy, I just watch my foot and the
water temperature. the engine has a jx  td pump and td injectors, but I think the 1.9 td is a better choice. I also own a 1985 td quantum and I was planning to swap the td motor into the vanagon,but as long as my set up is running I won't do the work,  unless I get a 1.9 td engine I'll do it.my vanagon is not a daily driver
but it has taken me and my family to San Jose CA from Los angeles,Sequoia national park and some other places. the only problem I had when I went to Sequoia was on the way back at the grapevine, I did not realize that Bakersfield was at 104 degrees and the van was overheating on the hill, I had to stop for a while and I decided to get a ride with AAA to my Home and not risk ruining the engine.overall it has being a good set up but I now the 1.9 td is the better choice.

Fixmyvw.com