Author Topic: I need a bigger turbo....  (Read 8128 times)

July 31, 2013, 08:41:42 am

bbob203

• Veteran

I need a bigger turbo....
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:41:42 am »
My m-tdi black smokes at the level of power I desire. Currently running a rebuilt aaz k14 around 18psi intercooled w/ .205 bosio nozzles rebuilt by DBW llc set at 235 bar. What Turbo would i be able to run without much fabrication that would be a worthwhile upgrade. Maybe my tuning methods are off idk. I just feel like this thing is maxed out.

92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #1July 31, 2013, 08:55:21 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: I need a bigger turbo....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 08:55:21 am »
what EGT

Reply #2July 31, 2013, 09:07:04 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:07:04 am »
1250 has been the highest i have ever seen. Not cummins level smoke but there was a decent cloud.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #3July 31, 2013, 09:53:43 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 09:53:43 am »
I would say it is ok if 1250 is it, as long as you have a good setup. I use the micro 1000 and it is super fast. If you want no smoke then I don't know what to tell you. MY Etdi that is supposed to control that has some at full pedal. If you have to have another turbo I really liked my T3 vw hot side and Mercedes 45 trim cold side...before it toasted.

Reply #4July 31, 2013, 09:55:35 am

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

• VDubShirts.com Awesome VW themed shirts with attitude
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 09:55:35 am »
I may have a k24 up here that is still good.
Check out www.vdubshirts.com for cool VW themed shirts with attitude.

Reply #5July 31, 2013, 10:24:33 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 10:24:33 am »
Maybe i just need to tune it some more and adjust the lda. I think the boost enrichment may be kicking in to soon giving me smoke?
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #6July 31, 2013, 02:48:18 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 02:48:18 pm »
I do as well have a K24 that another member wanted but got another turbo elsewhere.

Reply #7July 31, 2013, 07:42:22 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 07:42:22 pm »
You want a power build diesel that does not smoke when you are giving it pedal? Do they exist? LOL

I have not seen a power diesel with no smoke bud.

Reply #8July 31, 2013, 09:12:47 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 09:12:47 pm »
While the max power for a given amount of air is when there is smoke, provided the engine is adequately intercooled and the turbo is still reasonably efficient, increasing boost will clear the smoke while maintaining or even increasing power. 

All that said, at 18 psi and 1250°F pre-trubine (with a fast-acting probe like the micro-1000), I don't see any significant smoke unless I am running fairly high rpms, over 4,000.  I wonder if your timing is still a bit retarded.  You shouldn't be overly clattery but the DI engines are definitely more so than the IDI engines.  If the timing is retarded, then the EGTs will be higher, there will be more smoke and power will be less. 

Let me know when you're coming through Flag and I'll put the diesel pulse adapter on it and set the timing to match your current injectors and give it a good listen.  Short of that, you might use a smart phone dyno app and try advancing the timing and see if the max power improves.  Provided it is not too clattery, I would set the timing near the peak power but err on the side of being retarded rather than overly advanced.   

Reply #9July 31, 2013, 10:15:58 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 10:15:58 pm »
While the max power for a given amount of air is when there is smoke, provided the engine is adequately intercooled and the turbo is still reasonably efficient, increasing boost will clear the smoke while maintaining or even increasing power. 

All that said, at 18 psi and 1250°F pre-trubine (with a fast-acting probe like the micro-1000), I don't see any significant smoke unless I am running fairly high rpms, over 4,000.  I wonder if your timing is still a bit retarded.  You shouldn't be overly clattery but the DI engines are definitely more so than the IDI engines.  If the timing is retarded, then the EGTs will be higher, there will be more smoke and power will be less. 

Let me know when you're coming through Flag and I'll put the diesel pulse adapter on it and set the timing to match your current injectors and give it a good listen.  Short of that, you might use a smart phone dyno app and try advancing the timing and see if the max power improves.  Provided it is not too clattery, I would set the timing near the peak power but err on the side of being retarded rather than overly advanced.   

It is set about 1.30mm. I don't know if this means anything but there is a slight delay in clatter vs no clatter when accelerating like when the dynamic advance kicks in. The smoke seems to show up before the boost builds then dissipates slightly but is still noticeable. Idk if the smoke is less due to more fuel being burned up or because its spreads thinner faster because im accelerating if that makes sense. I really don't like soot unlike some "coal rollin sob's" The back of my car gets quite dirty. Im definitely intercooled plenty with a nice front mount 2.5 tubing and a pd150 i think the air flow between head and turbo outlet is plenty. Maybe the lag on the turbo needs to be mitigated?

Edit: soot comes in handy when people are riding your ass thats about the only time i like it they increase the gap behind you quite quickly.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #10July 31, 2013, 11:18:48 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 11:18:48 pm »
Sounds like you might need to lower the star wheel (clockwise while looking down on it) a little to bring the on boost fuel sooner and even out the smoke, then turn down the max fuel screw slightly to clear the smoke.   

Reply #11August 01, 2013, 07:26:55 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 07:26:55 am »
Do you know What boost pressure the spring is fully compressed? I think the 1.6 is like 8 lbs and aaz like 4? anyway to test it?
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #12August 01, 2013, 11:45:23 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 11:45:23 am »
I was cruising around tdicliub and Westyman said he runs his mtdi pumps at .90mm Why is there is such a big difference?
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #13August 01, 2013, 04:46:05 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 04:46:05 pm »
I do not know how Westyman (Karl Mullendore) arrived at that recommendation for a timing setting.  I can tell you how I've arrived at mine, tho.  I have a diesel pulse adapter and strobe timing light with rpm and advance functions.  The pulse adapter has a piezo pickup that clamps to the #1 injector line.  When the pressure builds in the line, the steel line gets slightly bigger in diameter.  That enlargement of the line compresses the piezo crystal and stores a charge in it.  When the start of injection occurs, the line relaxes slightly.  That relaxation of the pressure on the crystal causes a discharge and sends a signal to the pulse adapter box.  That box transforms that signal into a typical spark signal that can be read by a typical gasser timing light.  That timing light flashes a strobe light with each pulse.  The advance function of the timing light lets me very quickly and accurately see exactly the #1 injector's start of injection.  I have tested many VE pumps both TDI and IDI with stock nozzles set to stock timing specs.  With calibrated stock injectors and the pump in good condition and set to spec, using my diesel pulse adapter and strobe, the start of injection always falls between 12° BTDC and 14° BTDC.  Personally I find that 14° BTDC is to clacky on the TDIs.  When building a pump I install it, use my pulse adapter and timing light to initially set it to 12° BTDC.  I then adjust the fueling and set the idle.  With the idle set I re-check the pulse adapter timing.  When I have removed the injection lines I use my dial indicator to check the plunger lift @ TDC for each pump.  The delivery valves affect the timing fairly significantly so the plunger lift of each pump will be different, even with a specific set of injectors.  I can say that each mTDI pump that I have tested has had to have a plunger lift between 1.15mm and 1.45mm with the idle set and the pulse timing @ 12° BTDC.  I attribute the differences entirely to differences in the delivery valves and the amount of residual pressure they hold in the metal lines.  Similarly, changing injector opening pressure will change the timing of the start of injection as a higher pop pressure takes more plunger lift to pop.

Reply #14August 03, 2013, 06:53:09 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 06:53:09 am »
I shifted into 2nd instead of 4th last night and got a pretty massive amount of smoks out of tailpipe felt like I lost boost for a second and then everything was fine. any ideas what happenes?
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Fixmyvw.com