Author Topic: Coilovers  (Read 2414 times)

July 17, 2013, 08:17:25 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

Coilovers
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:17:25 am »
So I will be looking at an MK2 over the weekend with coilovers. What are some pro's and con's of having this sort of suspension setup. How badly is caster and camber affected?

Reply #1July 17, 2013, 09:32:08 am

jboogie13

• Junior

Re: Coilovers
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:32:08 am »
So I will be looking at an MK2 over the weekend with coilovers. What are some pro's and con's of having this sort of suspension setup. How badly is caster and camber affected?

When set up correctly there will be no ill effects, but unfortunately the vw's with "coilovers" in our area are generally done so by people with no mind for how it will handle and instead use them for lowering the car. If the car is really low, i would closely inspect the front frame rails as sometimes people will "notch" them for CV shaft clearance.

Also find out what brand coilovers are installed. Setups like VMAXX, Raceland, and JOM are things to stay away from as the price reflects quality. a full set can be had under 400$ brand new for most. Quality coilovers on the other hand such as bilstein, Koni, H&R are much more useful as they were designed to increase handling performance rather than just lowering the car.

As you probably already know pay special attention to ball joints, cv boots (due to the aggressive angle change) and strut mounts/towers. Oil pan casualties are another thing to look for on a lowered car.

Sorry for the long reply, hope it helps!

Fixmyvw.com