Author Topic: M-TDi tuning after nozzle install  (Read 3831 times)

June 27, 2013, 06:40:39 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

M-TDi tuning after nozzle install
« on: June 27, 2013, 06:40:39 pm »
So I now have sprint 520 nozzles in my 1z and i definitely need to do some tuning. First is the timing. Im currently running the timing at </= 1.20mm which is the most retarded timing recommended by the builder of my pump. Before I was running stock 96 1z nozzles at 190 bar now im running the new nozzles at 235 bar so im wondering what needs to be done with my static timing. Is timing on E-TDi's usually reset more retarded or more advanced when new nozzles are installed? Before the nozzle swap my idle was set great now its dropped is it a fuel quantity issue since im running larger nozzles now? Im gonna kick it back up i just wonder what caused it. What adjustments do tuners do to the ecu when going from stock nozzles to stage 1 nozzles? Cheers!

92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent
Need a car transported a long distance? Pm me for details.

Reply #1June 27, 2013, 06:55:00 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: M-TDi tuning after nozzle install
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:55:00 pm »
think of what that break pressure does to timing. Then think of how the pump makes pressure. Follow that thought to what needs done to fix your timing issue. You maybe able to run more fuel.

Reply #2June 27, 2013, 08:00:02 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:00:02 pm »
When the break pressure is raised, the timing usually needs to be advanced to compensate.  How does it sound?  Bear in mind that the DI engines have a sharper sound than the IDIs.  Set the timing before trying to set the idle very precisely.  You'll also want to set the max fuel before setting the idle by making a few full pedal runs up an extended grade and watching the EGT gauge. 

Reply #3June 27, 2013, 08:53:36 pm

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 08:53:36 pm »
When the break pressure is raised, the timing usually needs to be advanced to compensate.  How does it sound?  Bear in mind that the DI engines have a sharper sound than the IDIs.  Set the timing before trying to set the idle very precisely.  You'll also want to set the max fuel before setting the idle by making a few full pedal runs up an extended grade and watching the EGT gauge.  

did that today and ended up with a speeding ticket  :'( It sounds like a freight train coming thru the woods. Its nowhere near as quite as my idi is but vie decided its worth i despite the extra db's.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:35:37 pm by bbob203 »
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #4June 27, 2013, 09:58:39 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:58:39 pm »
Oops!  There's a good highway grade nearby that pretty well lets me see max EGTs without speeding.  I have mine tuned below the smoke level and will be adding a universal diesel cat and spiral flow muffler.  I have heard the diesel cats do a better job of reducing noise than a muffler and the effect on performance is minimal.  If you are fueled above the smoke point, tho, they can clog.

Reply #5June 27, 2013, 10:51:23 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:51:23 pm »
i dont know if i took been up my fav hill for that... its by city border so cops sit away from that hill as the next turn off is different jurisdiction.. big wall in middle = no on commin ones to worry bout.. so if you start to catch up to one.. slow down... i took lucas on it though.. :D

Reply #6June 28, 2013, 04:08:12 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 04:08:12 am »
You can't explain to a cop you were using the road to tune your car and not for reckless speeding without admitting you were speeding. O well if I pay them and extra 30 bucks it wont be a points violation... what a crock.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #7June 28, 2013, 05:15:58 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:15:58 am »
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #8June 28, 2013, 05:39:32 am

bbob203

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 05:39:32 am »
Oops!  There's a good highway grade nearby that pretty well lets me see max EGTs without speeding.  I have mine tuned below the smoke level and will be adding a universal diesel cat and spiral flow muffler.  I have heard the diesel cats do a better job of reducing noise than a muffler and the effect on performance is minimal.  If you are fueled above the smoke point, tho, they can clog.

I hope to be out your way in the passat in the next few months id like to be able to come by your place and give it the fine tune.
92 Passat wagon M-TDi
03 Jetta wagon TDi
VE Timing tools for rent

Reply #9June 28, 2013, 09:15:36 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 09:15:36 am »
Absolutely.  I'd love to check it out.

Reply #10June 28, 2013, 02:36:14 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 02:36:14 pm »

I have the Magnaflow 2.5" diesel cat on Jezzie.  It definitely had an impact on the noise.  There isn't much in that cat - the actual core I don't think is more than a couple inches thick.  It took the 'echo off the buildings at WOT' away after installing it for sure.  It also noticeably altered the smell of the exhaust, it somehow smells a bit less like death - definitely a "catalyzed" scent.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #11July 01, 2013, 05:38:14 pm

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

• VDubShirts.com Awesome VW themed shirts with attitude
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 05:38:14 pm »
I'm looking forward to you bringing this up. I cant wait to see, and hear the difference from last time you were up. And race you in the caddy when I get it all put together. I talked to my buddy up in indy about getting that b3 wagon off of him. I really need to get started on that too since the mk3 messed up on me last week.
Check out www.vdubshirts.com for cool VW themed shirts with attitude.

Fixmyvw.com