S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: '85 Quantum Wagon Do-over  (Read 5494 times)

June 25, 2013, 09:28:08 pm

Quantum_Freak

'85 Quantum Wagon Do-over
« on: June 25, 2013, 09:28:08 pm »
Hello from Wisconsin, everyone!

This is my car, a 1985 Quantum Wagon. 

I bought it February of last year, right after my TDI mk2 Jetta was totalled by a drunk driver.  RIP GLI...

^^This car was my first gas to diesel conversion.  It was much simpler than I thought it would be, and I ended up doing it again (with an IDI) to a '91 Golf, which I use as my daily.

So, the Quantum began life as a 1.8 gas 5-speed car, from Virginia.  I bought it off thesamba sight-unseen for a song, and drove it straight back in one shot (13ish hours).  Right after I got it home, it looked like this:

As you can see, there's no rust!  Also, this is a neat base model Quantum; crank windows, manual mirrors, cloth interior, no cruise, etc. 

So, I proceeded to drive it as a gasser all of last year, racking up 15k miles, including a trip to Colorado:

My original intentions were to swap the TDI from the wrecked Jetta in, but life got in the way, and someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the TDI. 

Fortunately, this led me to something nearly as good:

A friend of mine in Iowa hooked me up with the perfect parts car, an '84 TD Quantum wagon.  The front was wrecked hard enough that the roof had buckled, so I didn't feel too bad parting it out.  I retrieved it the old fashioned way, tow bar style:

NOTE:  The brown car has the super-long ration 5-speed, which made for some hairy hill climbs on Highway 151.

I made it back safely, and completely parted out the poor 'ole blue car.  By this time, the gas engine in the brown car had reached oil consumption of 1 quart every 500 miles, so I put it away for the winter.

Fast forward to the beginning of June.

I borrowed enough shop space and time to do the project.  In less than two weeks, I dropped the entire subframe, swapped the diesel engine onto the wide-ratio gas trans, bolted the whole deal back into the car, swapped the gas tank for a diesel one, welded up a straight pipe exhaust, and wired the car enough for basic driving.  Some in-progress pictures:

After getting the fuel system bled, it fired right up.  Right now, it boosts to about 8psi, and seems to be getting north of 40mpg.  I haven't driven it much, and here's why:

This belt setup is nightmarish.  I replaced all the v-belts(not a job for the weak-hearted or those short on time), and I'm running an Optima deep-cycle battery, but that doesn't stop the alternator belt from slipping.  I've had this issue on diesel Rabbits and the like, and it is pretty much my least favorite part of diesels.  The solution I found for my daily Golf is to swap an entire TDI serpentine belt setup onto the motor.  Everything bolts up, and I've got it rigged to only run the water pump and alternator on the Golf.  I'm currently sourcing another TDI setup from Europe, along with (hopefully) an early Euro front end.  Here's where the car sits now:

Future plans:
-Intercooler-I've sourced a front mount intercooler from an Audi 5k turbo, all I need now is boost piping and a Fox-style radiator
-Boost-I don't know much about Garrett turbos, but I'd like to learn so I can tune this baby right!
-Suspension-currently, I'm running Bilstein HDs front and rear, but I'd like to maybe get it a little closer to the ground...
-Interior-the stock brown interior is pretty much UV destroyed, so I'm trying to source a black interior for it (3/4 there)

Feel free to flame/praise away!

'85 Quantum Wagon TD
'83 Quantum Coupe
'86 Cabriolet
'77 Toyota Corona
'98 Jetta TDI
'94 Geo Prizm
'66 Westfalia Camper

Reply #1June 26, 2013, 12:32:44 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: '85 Quantum Wagon Do-over
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:32:44 pm »
Your oil separator/hockey puck/pressure control valve will not work at all tipped on it's side and plumbed backwards like that.  You run a serious risk of engine runaway if your air filter ever gets even partially clogged.

Reply #2June 26, 2013, 12:52:11 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 12:52:11 pm »
looks like he put it back how it came... he needs to rengineer it..

fox rad = serious serp belt issues... to keep the front mounted rad you will have room to try that.. fox rad set up beside the motor like dasher/fox.. nope.. why its got the crazy pully set upit has...

Reply #3June 26, 2013, 01:16:50 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 01:16:50 pm »
It may have been a mistake made by someone else, but the pick is plumbed backwards which defeats the function of the pressure control valve.

Reply #4June 26, 2013, 01:33:20 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 01:33:20 pm »
well if he got a roddo vc vs the euro 2.0 one.. the breather box would be swapped with the oil cap... then it would not hit hood to be modded in wrong ways.. :P

the pic under mountain shows it in blu car better then his car.. and your right no work like that... he needs to build a catch can set up s his hood vs puck is no longer a issue...

its a odd vc most do not see.. i have one on my euro 2.0 tall block how i know what it comes friom... lots think its roddo till i point out oil fill spot.. ive had mine since 96.. :P pre webz...

Reply #5June 26, 2013, 02:28:35 pm

Smoker

• Veteran

Re: Re: Re: '85 Quantum Wagon Do-over
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 02:28:35 pm »
from Virginia. 

As you can see, there's no rust! 

;-)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Reply #6June 26, 2013, 05:09:53 pm

Quantum_Freak

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 05:09:53 pm »
Your oil separator/hockey puck/pressure control valve will not work at all tipped on it's side and plumbed backwards like that.  You run a serious risk of engine runaway if your air filter ever gets even partially clogged.

This is good information.  I was planning on building a catch can breather system in the future, but I didn't know the breather was set up wrong when I got it.  The previous owner told me he was having valve cover leaking issues, hence the "late model aluminum valve cover" he put on there.  I didn't realize the vc was a special one; the longitudinal setup tricks the eye!  I'll add "functioning breather system" to my list of things to get done on this car.

Interesting note on the belt setup/fox radiator idea.  You're very right, now that I think about it, it won't work at all.  I can run the TDI belt setup with the stock radiator, no problem.  I'll just need to figure out a more elegant intercooler setup.

Thanks for the replies! 
'85 Quantum Wagon TD
'83 Quantum Coupe
'86 Cabriolet
'77 Toyota Corona
'98 Jetta TDI
'94 Geo Prizm
'66 Westfalia Camper

Reply #7June 26, 2013, 05:18:25 pm

Smoker

• Veteran

Re: Re: '85 Quantum Wagon Do-over
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 05:18:25 pm »
How did that thing do towing a car? I'm hoping to tow with my dasher once it has adequate power.

Reply #8June 26, 2013, 05:58:22 pm

homerj1

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 05:58:22 pm »
How did that thing do towing a car? I'm hoping to tow with my dasher once it has adequate power.

Great point, I second the question?? 

- as that is a lot of weight (pull) on the trailer hitch and a big load for the engine.

Aivars

Reply #9June 26, 2013, 06:12:53 pm

Quantum_Freak

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 06:12:53 pm »

The gas engine really struggled, but the car is big enough that it was plenty stable at highway speeds.  The added torque of the diesel should make towing cars a breeze.

As for hitch, I may have been pushing it a bit, as I have one of these:

However, my car is very structurally sound, so I trust it for the most part.  I don't think I'll pull anything heavier than the car itself, and as long as the tongue weight is low, it should hold up.

I built this car to be a tow rig, so I'll be looking to upgrade my hitch sooner than later.  Bilstein HDs make a big difference, also.
'85 Quantum Wagon TD
'83 Quantum Coupe
'86 Cabriolet
'77 Toyota Corona
'98 Jetta TDI
'94 Geo Prizm
'66 Westfalia Camper

Reply #10June 26, 2013, 09:05:57 pm

Smoker

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 09:05:57 pm »
Wow, yeah, that looks like a pretty light - duty hitch. That makes me feel better about what I'm trying to rig up!

Reply #11June 26, 2013, 09:47:48 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 09:47:48 pm »
How do you like the Bilstein HD's? I am really thinking as soon as the sachs go in my car doing them all the way around. I will not lower and drive a ton of mixed roads for what it is worth.

Reply #12June 26, 2013, 10:31:19 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 10:31:19 pm »
id build catch can set up as odd euro parts kewl... just its factory bolted on hocky puck would need hole in hood... best for those shows where you got smart arss tellig his friend how g60 ones are played... and you can be.. thats not g60.. look at the fill cap... shuts them up...

the guy looking for land speed record wants your current wp pully set up... i pointed him at the idea of eliminating his alt/bracket and its rotational mass by using quantium wp pully set up.. :D nice photo of how it works for those trying mk1/mk2 tdi serp with no ps but want ac... thats easy way to run the wp...

towing... ha... he had it easy.. those 1.8 8.5:1 ratio engines will tow all day long... may not be fast.. but reliable hell yea... im going to use a 1.8 cis converted kubvan to tow a zuki from cali back to ohio.. i did that conversion for the owner on x-mas break 97.. ive been in dasher 4 speeds with modded 1.6 gassers with car on double axle trailer... tow bar cake...

then we can discuss rabbit pickups with stock 1.7 gassers pulling cars on that trailer too.. i took it to detroit to get my 84 coupe and 2 really odd euro engines in 96.. :D hell my 1st car was tow bared to sc in dec 89..

now when you see dasher with vanagon on a towbar... ive seen it.. sagdly more then 1 time too... then your gettin into i cannot beleive what i see...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:04:28 pm by CRSMP5 »

Reply #13June 27, 2013, 06:13:23 am

Quantum_Freak

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 06:13:23 am »
How do you like the Bilstein HD's? I am really thinking as soon as the sachs go in my car doing them all the way around. I will not lower and drive a ton of mixed roads for what it is worth.

My biggest complaint with the HDs is the price.  I found some NOS rear ones on ebay for a little less cash than new, but combined with the fronts, it cost almost as much as I paid for the car in the first place...heh.

The car handles much better than with the oil-filled stock shocks I had before, but the ride is noticeably harsher.  Also, the weakest part of my setup is now the cheap tires instead of the squishy shocks.

Overall, worth it.  I can sacrifice some ride quality for more stability. 
'85 Quantum Wagon TD
'83 Quantum Coupe
'86 Cabriolet
'77 Toyota Corona
'98 Jetta TDI
'94 Geo Prizm
'66 Westfalia Camper

Reply #14June 28, 2013, 02:31:29 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 02:31:29 pm »
I've got the HD's in the back on Jezzie, totally love them.  I don't find them unduly harsh or anything though they are definitely stiffer than the shot ones they replaced.  The car is nice and stable and they do fantastic when I'm towing.  The car feels way better.

I had Monroes on there previously - the backs only lasted a few years.  The combination of the trailer + some regular trips up and down the Crowsnest highway hammered them pretty quickly.  I still have Monroes on the front, they are not as nice as the Bilsteins for sure.  I MIGHT swap some Bilsteins in the front when I do my brake upgrade but I have a hard time replacing parts that aren't dead yet. :)

Highly recommended as far as I'm concerned.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen