S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Intro to me and my ride, '84 Jetta  (Read 3034 times)

June 23, 2013, 08:22:40 pm

Keltikrewser

Intro to me and my ride, '84 Jetta
« on: June 23, 2013, 08:22:40 pm »
Hey guys & gals, first post here so I thought I'd share a little bit about me and my "new" ride. Been a car nut most of my life,  owned/driven a pretty wide range of stuff Corvairs a '70 Cutlass, '78 Ford Bronco, Suby XT-6, MK4 Jetta, '92 Civic, and my current daily a B5 A4, to name a few. Started a new job at the beginning of the year at a shop specializing in VW, Audi, & Porsche.  We do everything from regular maintenance to APR & TPC performance upgrades, restorations and full on race builds.  The new job added about 50 miles/day to my commute,  so I decided I needed something that got better mpgs than the 2.8 in my A4. My first thought was a TDI, but you can't seem to find them around here with less than 200k and they still go for decent $. I never cared much for the looks of the mk2/3s, and my boss is a big fan of the mk1s and has a pile of parts for them, so I figured that would be a good choice.

Always loved the looks of the mk1s, and when I saw this beauty on Craigslist I knew I had to have it. It's an '84 with a 1.6na and a 5 speed,  125k miles on the clock, and unmolested other than the sweet Audiovox tape deck, which doesn't work anyway. She needs a little love, but is rot free and pretty clean for a 30 year old Wisconsin car. I've got some plans for her, but first I need to fix some of the little things that the last couple of owners put band aids on.

This is my first mk1 and my first diesel, so I'll be looking for plenty of advice and recommendations.  My expertise is in fabrication and upholstery, but I've got solid mechanical skills as well, so mostly I'll need help sorting thru the endless options on upgrades.

Now that I've bored you to death,  here's some pics...

"Jetta Jameson" the day I brought her home

How she's sitting today on a set of 'flakes donated by my boss. (Still have the Bronco, & the wifey's B7 A4 in the background)

This is kind of the "vintage" direction I'm leaning towards, only a little less extreme. I'm thinking widened steelies with aircooled center caps and white walls.

Here are a couple of shots of the cars we build this spring at my new job.  All 3 are '80s 911s used for PCA racing.

Thats it for now.

Later,
Ryan

Reply #1June 23, 2013, 09:43:29 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: Intro to me and my ride, '84 Jetta
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 09:43:29 pm »
Sweet ride, looks like mine did before I got a hold of it.. lmao.

Welcome aboard, GREAT diesel section here but for exceptional MK1 specifics the vortex has a mk1 section of like 40,000 members!

Reply #2June 23, 2013, 11:51:46 pm

Keltikrewser

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 11:51:46 pm »
Thanks 8v, I'm pretty excited about it.  I still have my b5, I'm thinking about keeping it thru the winter and tearing into the engine on the jetta. Even though it's only got 125k on it, from what I've seen of the "repairs" that were done to the rest of the car, it makes me very leary of the work that was supposedly done to the engine.

I need to read thru your gov mod & injector pump threads a few more times before I tear into them. Exhaust, brakes, suspension, all need some love too. Plus I've got my eye on some stock 911 seats sitting at work that might look good on the inside ;D

I'm over on the vortex too, but like you said GREAT diesel info here.

Looking forward to learning from you guys.

Reply #3June 24, 2013, 09:58:38 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 09:58:38 am »
Anything you ever probably need answered about MK1 could probably be handled by our CRSMP5 here. Don't forget to use him as a resource. Sometimes figuring out what he is typing is a challenge but he knows his stuff.

Reply #4June 24, 2013, 10:52:39 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 10:52:39 am »
 ;D ;D

Reply #5June 24, 2013, 07:08:09 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 07:08:09 pm »
Sometimes figuring out what he is typing is a challenge but he knows his stuff.

;D ;D

That is universal in any language that you speak, or don't.. lmao ;)

Reply #6June 24, 2013, 08:37:34 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 08:37:34 pm »
Sometimes figuring out what he is typing is a challenge but he knows his stuff.

Well now on any given day or late night in some cases, and I do mean over 12 in a 12 hr period that seems to be the way with a lot of us here.  We know it but just can't say it with a straight up means of typing.  I have often wondered about Mr. CRS almost offered him a new keyboard in hopes that would resolve the discommunication problem. 

But here is the kicker.  If we can figure out the mechanical problems of a German engineered motor and running gear we can figure out the letters added or missing in anyones messages.  jst tr ths one.  DAS

Reply #7June 24, 2013, 10:16:38 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:16:38 pm »
unless i had a auto correct i trusted.. you would still not get it... :D my brain works in such a ***ed up way.. sadly the knowledge is there.. just gotta break out little orphan annie decoder...

its like the dush on poortex who doubts my knowlledge on the goofy aluminum racks some bunnies got that are deadly... ive changed a few... why deadly.. they slip where steering wheel no longer connects to front wheels.. the teeth wear then break... but hey they say me full of it.. f them.. i know what ive seen... that was 88-95 when i was changin them..

his car needs euro bumpers, a 80 only dash.. maybe a kamei from bunny modded to fit.. :D since im going to make my 84 coupe into a winter/dd beater may as well sell those odd things off...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:26:02 pm by CRSMP5 »

Reply #8June 24, 2013, 11:33:29 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 11:33:29 pm »
Sorry they don't sell a fix for you on Craigslist.  But I saw this the other night and thought he could add it.  But sadly it isn't for his car.  http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/3884641099.html  The guy also had that my Kamei one you have and he was asking 140 for it.  It is gone.  I agree, European bumpers for sure.  Good that he has a supplier.  Maybe trade hours worked for parts installed.

Reply #9June 26, 2013, 02:40:51 pm

Smoker

• Veteran

Re: Re: Intro to me and my ride, '84 Jetta
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 02:40:51 pm »
Mk1 Jettas with euro lights and bumpers are dead sexy... that's my input.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Reply #10June 26, 2013, 09:21:52 pm

Keltikrewser

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 09:21:52 pm »
The front end is definitely on the to-do list. Still haven't decided what direction to go with it.  I do like the euro bumpers & lights,  but I also like shaved front ends. I've also always had a sweet spot for the duckbill spoilers,  so I'm really undecided as to what I will be going with.

Heres one I found that's okay.

I dig this one too.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:49:19 pm by Keltikrewser »