Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: K26 from a Mercedes.  (Read 4805 times)

June 10, 2013, 10:06:14 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

K26 from a Mercedes.
« on: June 10, 2013, 10:06:14 pm »
Ok hello everyone,
So I know that this has been some what covered. I've searched and found little.
So over the weekend I stumbled upon a 300TD at the J-yard. Everything was there so I took what a thought I could use at some point in time. The Turbo which turned out to be a K26 and the injectors. I was thinking of just selling them and making a little money. But I figured why not look into using them. The injectors, I found enough info on them. Not sure if I will go that route.
But the turbo is of interest to me. I was thinking of running it as is, or going the route of making a hybrid K24/K26.
I understand that there will be lag. ;)
But What I really want is to hear about past experience on this subject. If I choose to make a hybrid, what's the best way of splicing them together? Just putting the cool side of the K26 on the K24 center and Hot side? Or would that make back pressure that wouldn't be good?  I know people had to have done this, Please let me know.
How do they perform.
And this one is from a Mercedes, how different are they from the Audi and Porsche K26?
Thanks.

Tim

“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #1June 11, 2013, 12:01:36 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: K26 from a Mercedes.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 12:01:36 pm »
Somewhere in the archives there is a K26/K24 hybrid build that someone attempted.  The results were not very good - I believe it didn't spool well and seemed to run out of air a lot faster than the plain old K24 does. 

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=20805.0

Looking through that thread it appears the real issue is the K26 compressor sucks for anything more than about 10PSI...
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2June 11, 2013, 12:47:05 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 12:47:05 pm »
Somewhere in the archives there is a K26/K24 hybrid build that someone attempted.  The results were not very good - I believe it didn't spool well and seemed to run out of air a lot faster than the plain old K24 does. 

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=20805.0

Looking through that thread it appears the real issue is the K26 compressor sucks for anything more than about 10PSI...

yep the k26's arent that great for our cars because we need pretty high boost numbers, and although the k26's flow alot they do not usually do it at high boost efficiently.  but there are alot of different k26 turbos that all work very differently from each other.  the audi ones are what is not great for high boost.  the 944 k26 is actually pretty nice, but the mercedes k26 i do not know enough about to say whether it would be any good or not, fromt he inducer exducer size i found listed they definitely are worth looking into, but thats not enough to really say how good they are.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #3June 11, 2013, 12:48:22 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 12:48:22 pm »
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #4June 11, 2013, 09:15:35 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

Re: Re: K26 from a Mercedes.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 09:15:35 pm »
Yeah. The only thing is that this turbo is from a diesel. Wondering if it would perform like one of our turbo, psi wise.
How does the t3 off of those perform at the higher psi's. I would like to assume that they would perform roughly the same if not similar due to them being designed for the same engine.
 From what I read the k26 spools faster than the t3 on the Mercedes. And from what I have gathered about the other k26s is that they spool way to late. But the t3 spools late but enough on our engines. So if that is correct, then the design for this 26 is different than the others.
 Most people that run the k26 are pulling them from the audis which is a gasser engine turbo. Am I right with this statement?
If it's from a gasser than the turbo will perform as if it's for a gasser which don't boost very high(correct?)

Ok well then the next question his how are people's experience with t3s from Mercedes?
“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #5June 12, 2013, 01:49:19 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 01:49:19 am »
The Audi K26 that folks are referring to is from the 5 cylinder diesel I believe.

The K24 and the T3 are basically the same (assuming you are taking about VW diesel turbos). They will spool around 2200 and can provide upwards of 25 PSI with an intercooler.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #6June 12, 2013, 07:58:52 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 07:58:52 am »
Yeah. The only thing is that this turbo is from a diesel. Wondering if it would perform like one of our turbo, psi wise.
How does the t3 off of those perform at the higher psi's. I would like to assume that they would perform roughly the same if not similar due to them being designed for the same engine.
 From what I read the k26 spools faster than the t3 on the Mercedes. And from what I have gathered about the other k26s is that they spool way to late. But the t3 spools late but enough on our engines. So if that is correct, then the design for this 26 is different than the others.
 Most people that run the k26 are pulling them from the audis which is a gasser engine turbo. Am I right with this statement?
If it's from a gasser than the turbo will perform as if it's for a gasser which don't boost very high(correct?)

Ok well then the next question his how are people's experience with t3s from Mercedes?

diesel and gas turbos aren't really that different.  but you are right the turbo definitely has potential because the trim of the compressor is pretty low i usually good for higher boost depending on the fin design and tip height.  the mercedes diesel t3 is a pretty good turbo upgrade for a 1.6 aside from its very large turbine housing.
what are all the numbers on the turbo?  i think it is a k26-2660, which is similar to the k26 found on some porsches but i can't find a compressor map to say whether its any good or not.  and you're right i think most people who have had poor results have built a hybrid with the audi gasser k26.

and the reason the audi k26 doesn't work well has more to do with just how that particular compressor is designed its just not good for higher pressures, there are lots of gasser turbos that will work well too, and alot of gas and diesels engines use the same turbos.  usually tho the difference is that a gas engine will have a large turbine housing.  im also not really a fan of the k24/k26 because the k24 hot side is pretty small already and the wastegates are prone to sticking, plus t3 is alot cheaper and easier to find.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:01:26 am by RabbitJockey »

Reply #7June 12, 2013, 11:00:57 am

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 11:00:57 am »
I'm talking about the t3 and the k26 for the Mercedes. From what I read on the one Mercedes forum site it was unanimous that the k26 turbo that came on the 300d spools faster than the T3 air research that also came on the 300d.
It's strange tho. Both VW and Mercedes switch from the KKK type turbo to a T3 around the same time. Wonder why.

The numbers on the turbo are, 53261017097 GGGNIGr202
The hot inside says 55(trim?)
All that was on the hot side. the cool side has, 5326 101 5080 GW.

Not sure what that all means

Reply #8June 12, 2013, 12:34:20 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 12:34:20 pm »
I'm talking about the t3 and the k26 for the Mercedes. From what I read on the one Mercedes forum site it was unanimous that the k26 turbo that came on the 300d spools faster than the T3 air research that also came on the 300d.
It's strange tho. Both VW and Mercedes switch from the KKK type turbo to a T3 around the same time. Wonder why.

The numbers on the turbo are, 53261017097 GGGNIGr202
The hot inside says 55(trim?)
All that was on the hot side. the cool side has, 5326 101 5080 GW.

Not sure what that all means

the 55 is probably the a/r of the housing, vw k24 is .3, so i guess this would be .55

the part numbers supposedly indicate the size of the wheels, but those numbers would indicate some pretty weird sizing

like the inducer would be 50% of 2.6", so that would be 33 mm, with an exducer of 2.6" or 66mm which would be a 25 trim and that just doesn't sound right.

u could measure the wheels and see what u really have, but with out a map its hard to say how good or bad it would be with out trying it.

Reply #9June 12, 2013, 01:38:54 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 01:38:54 pm »
Where/how do you using find maps for these turbos.

Reply #10June 12, 2013, 03:16:11 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 03:16:11 pm »
Where/how do you using find maps for these turbos.

usually just through google searches there are a few websites that have alot listed like not2fast and squirrelpf.com

but if u measure the compressor wheel, it may have the same wheel is another kkk turbo so it is possible to find a map, also if its close to another kkk turbo u can kind of somewhat guess where its efficiency will be by which part is bigger/smaller.