S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 81 Caddy  (Read 4338 times)

June 09, 2013, 11:12:51 pm

Laserface

81 Caddy
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:12:51 pm »
Just picked this up today. 1.6 diesel. Been sitting since 2003 (or at least that's the last time it was registered).

Has a few small problems. The biggest problem being no response from the starter. I rolled it off and drove it home. One of the injectors is leaking fuel outside the motor. O-Ring maybe? Coolant temperature gauge doesn't work. Odometer doesn't work. The vent windows have the glue on hinges which have come unglued at some point in the past. Someone has siliconed the driverside in completely. The passenger side was off lying inside it.

Any idea how I should go about fixing the gauge, and more importantly where can i find the bolt in style vent windows? Broken odometer doesn't bother me too much.

It needs some love, but I'm really exited about it.

Reply #1June 09, 2013, 11:33:24 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: 81 Caddy
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:33:24 pm »
Injector leaking?  Could it just be the nut on top is not tight?  Or more likely the hoses that are on the sides are cracked and need to be trimmed off and reinstalled.

The gauge might just be unplugged or plugged into the wrong sensor on the side of the block on the drivers side.  Should be two there one for temp and one for the glow plug sensor.  Try switching them around. 

The windows are going to be a long term fix.  I would reglue them now, just seal them up until you can source out the bolt in ones.  Start looking for the older models.  82-84 I think.  I had to buy two complete doors off a Cabriolet to get the windows, the seals and the metal frame that you have to replace to make the swap.  I tried every kind of glue I could find to get the windows to stick to the flat hinges and never did get them to work. Just to many curves and pressures working against you.

On the speedo you can disassemble and order the little plastic gears that go in there.  The driver of the mechanism seemed to be the weak link so after awhile it wouldn't turn the tenths over any more. 

Good luck

Reply #2June 10, 2013, 01:30:49 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 01:30:49 am »
I used the glue for the glue-on rear view mirrors available at your FLAPS.  It's been working fine for 6 months and counting.

Reply #3June 10, 2013, 07:46:32 am

Laserface

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:46:32 am »
Injector leaking?  Could it just be the nut on top is not tight?  Or more likely the hoses that are on the sides are cracked and need to be trimmed off and reinstalled.

The gauge might just be unplugged or plugged into the wrong sensor on the side of the block on the drivers side.  Should be two there one for temp and one for the glow plug sensor.  Try switching them around. 

The windows are going to be a long term fix.  I would reglue them now, just seal them up until you can source out the bolt in ones.  Start looking for the older models.  82-84 I think.  I had to buy two complete doors off a Cabriolet to get the windows, the seals and the metal frame that you have to replace to make the swap.  I tried every kind of glue I could find to get the windows to stick to the flat hinges and never did get them to work. Just to many curves and pressures working against you.

On the speedo you can disassemble and order the little plastic gears that go in there.  The driver of the mechanism seemed to be the weak link so after awhile it wouldn't turn the tenths over any more. 

Good luck

I just got it home last night and didn't have time to mess with it. Going to try to fix the starter and injector tonight after work. I'll start on checking the gauges if I have time.

I used the glue for the glue-on rear view mirrors available at your FLAPS.  It's been working fine for 6 months and counting.

The locks on my windows are MIA. It seems my only option until i find replacements is to glue them shut.

Reply #4June 10, 2013, 03:34:03 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 03:34:03 pm »
Libby,  I tried some of that stuff, even a couple different brands to be sure but they just wouldn't hold.  Something about the dimpled side of the hinge I think.  As soon as I put pressure on the handle to lock the window tight, POP, off it would come.  Dangling there by the upper hinge.

Laxerface, you want my old windows?  I think I have handles they just wouldn't stay on. 

Reply #5June 10, 2013, 08:42:47 pm

Laserface

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:42:47 pm »
Got the injector problem sorted out. The cap on the #4 injector was leaking (the one that would go to the next injector in line).

I have access to windshield urethane (I work in a collision repair shop), that stuff holds like crazy. If it holds a windshield in, surely it will secure a vent window. ORCoaster, shoot me a PM with a price for your windows. As long as the latch/lock is included, I'm interested.

Reply #6June 10, 2013, 09:01:46 pm

vwroadkill

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 09:01:46 pm »
I have solid vent windows if ya like...
I have had them for some time... rubbers around them are ok atleast you will be able to keep the rain out
new owner of an 81 caddy diesel yipeeeee..vw gti vr6 and well most of gm's trucks

Reply #7June 18, 2013, 10:20:11 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 10:20:11 am »

Any idea how I should go about fixing the gauge, and more importantly where can i find the bolt in style vent windows? Broken odometer doesn't bother me too much.

There are 2 senders on the aluminum coolant flange, unplug them and ground them one at a time. One is for the glow relay the other is temp sender and should make it go full scale. If gauge goes full scale. replace sender. If it doesn't, check wiring to cluster and if good, problem is in cluster. Try cleaning the connections at the cluster.

Reply #8June 30, 2013, 11:47:19 pm

Laserface

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 11:47:19 pm »
I found some solid vent windows locally. I've got most things sorted out. I just got some rust behind the windshield fixed.

The headlights have been a nightmare. When I got it, the black/white wire going from the headlight switch to the dimmer switch was cut. When the headlight switch is on and the key is on the wire sparks. When jumped from the headlight switch straight to the headlights, the headlights work. So the headlights and the headlight switch are fine, and there is a short in the wiring somewhere.

Another possibly related issue is that whenever the dimmer switch (with aforementioned black/white wire disconnected) is switched to either the low beam or the high beam (I ran our of fuses to blow, not sure which one it is) the fuse for the clock/dome light blows.

I'm getting a Bentley and a DVOM tomorrow.

tl;dr - wire from the headlight switch to dimmer switch shorts out, and dimmer switch blows clock

How it sits right now.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:02:15 am by Laserface »

Reply #9July 01, 2013, 10:21:05 pm

tyb525

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 10:21:05 pm »
Looks like it has a turbo pump on it.
2004 Golf BEW, '81 1.6 NA rabbit (soon to be parted out)

Reply #10July 02, 2013, 05:40:15 pm

Laserface

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 05:40:15 pm »
Close ups of the pump.

Reply #11July 02, 2013, 10:45:27 pm

tyb525

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 10:45:27 pm »
That's interesting, the throttle shaft is backwards from mine.
2004 Golf BEW, '81 1.6 NA rabbit (soon to be parted out)

Reply #12July 03, 2013, 06:02:58 am

Laserface

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 06:02:58 am »
Got the wiring sorted out. Some has had the steering column out, or at least had a bolt loose. When the bolt was tightened, it pinched two wires, the black/white from the headlight to the dimmer switch, and the white from the dimmer switch to low beams. So they were sorted to each other and to the chassis.