S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Homebrew TDI Controller  (Read 1821 times)

May 31, 2013, 11:15:32 am

knikula

Homebrew TDI Controller
« on: May 31, 2013, 11:15:32 am »
hey guys...just thinking out loud here...

over the past year I've been playing with the Parallax Propeller microcontroller platform...it has 8 cores, each with 2 hardware timer.

I'm thinking that I could get rid of the VW TDI ECU, and drive the pump with the microcontroller.

it appears that the TDI pump controls injection timing by increasing pump body pressure, similar to our old pre TDI pumps. The TDI pump has no governor, just a servo moving the control collar.

I think I could write software to drive the Injection quantity servo, and read engine temp sensor, boost sensor, crank position sensor, #3 cyl injection sensor, and drive the turbo vanes...

It would make an interesting exercise, anyway...

It's really easy to generate PWM signals with this controller, and the controller is dirt cheap...

Does anybody know what the signals looks like on the various TDI pump inputs, and outputs?

Ken

PS My diesel Cabby with the ALDA modified for boost is still running well...

Reply #1May 31, 2013, 11:43:15 am

Henk

• Junior

Re: Homebrew TDI Controller
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 11:43:15 am »
sounds like you want to get in bed with this fella http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/vnt-lda/ (he's on here too but can't remember the user name.
As far as controlling the pump, I'm not sure what the benefit would be over just using the standard ECU?
But to just control the VNT turbo and enrichment as in the above link, with a mech pump, sounds like the perfect combo to me.
Mech reliability, with accurate and controllable boost control.
Will be curious to see what you do
Mid Engine
Berg Cup
M-TDi
Caddy!

Reply #2May 31, 2013, 11:57:22 am

knikula

Re: Homebrew TDI Controller
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 11:57:22 am »
thanks much for that link....I am also thinking about that LDA controller as well...I have an ALDA with a custom cut boost pin, and it would be nice to electrically control that too...

I built a controller to drive my treadmill when the control board died and became unavailable...

That requires a 20 HZ square wave with a variable duty cycle from 15 to 85%...
than I added a heart rate receiver to adjust the treadmill speed based on my current heart rate compared to the ideal training zone...

I'll spend some time looking at his site...