S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Playing with my pop tester  (Read 7659 times)

Reply #30June 04, 2013, 02:26:00 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Re: Playing with my pop tester
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 02:26:00 pm »
Static timing is .93, and it is definitely more clattery with fresh injectors, which I believe is a distinctly different
noise from the "ping" the piping makes.  I'm puzzled.  It isn't really objectionable
when it's warm but it's seriously there when cold, and it wasn't before which is the opposite
of the expected effect of increased pop pressure.  I'm going to back the timing off
when I get a chance and see how it sounds.   
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #31June 04, 2013, 11:19:27 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 11:19:27 pm »
Before you change the timing try running it off some fuel that has had 2 stroke oil or mineral oil added to it.  I think the extra lube and fuel characteristics will change the tune the engine makes. 

Come on humor me.  Timing change is too easy and you want it at .93 don't you?  For that wicked advance. 

Reply #32June 05, 2013, 02:25:10 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 02:25:10 am »
Been running 2 cycle oil and either redline or LM diesel hi-test for a decade my friend.
US diesel blows.  My pump is new enough I don't use any wax or such to thicken it up.
Good idea though.

Further driving today, it really runs well, and it's not clattery hot unless I try hard to hear it, like
2nd gear through a residential area, window down, head out, with something to reflect the
noise.  I think it was just too quiet before maybe.  It was almost oddly quiet.
With it's one low popping injector and mediocre spray patterns..  Go figure..

I thought I heard a bad noise at idle.  Then I pushed the clutch in.
*** you Sachs.  A lot.

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #33June 11, 2013, 09:12:00 am

GTiTDi

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Schnell Snail TDI performance
    • My 91 GTI --> TDI swap thread
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 09:12:00 am »
I thought I heard a bad noise at idle.  Then I pushed the clutch in.
*** you Sachs.  A lot.

You think your clutch rattles...try a Sachs VR6 clutch on a modded AHU....it is starting to slip and I am eager to have a relatively quiet car at idle..but not eager to spend $$$ on a new silent performance clutch
91 GTI/ AHU spec'd 1Z power, GT2052W w custom adapter (available through me, PM me for details),TDTUNING software, PP764 nozzles, Massive spearco FMIC, PD intake, Koni reds
97 B4VGLX AHU, RC3, 357's, PP'd head, Shine springs and Koni yellows

Reply #34June 11, 2013, 06:33:02 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 06:33:02 pm »
Yeah, so I've heard.

Soon as I quit being pissed off about it I'm going to order a Luk to shut the stupid thing up.

In other news, put a good fifty miles on it this weekend and it drives great.
I still think it's overly clacky cold, but I don't know how much the KSB advances timing
VS the manual cold start lever on the normal pumps.  Been poking around for such info
but nothing yet.

Mentat Text Two

Reply #35May 09, 2014, 06:00:52 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 06:00:52 pm »
Well it took a year but I think I finally put 1K miles on those injectors, pulled them out and popped them yesterday.
I was pleased to see the spray pattern matched my observations recorded here, down the one with the 2 degree tilt to it
and them all having a flat rather than conical spray still, and they were all still about 1900ish-psi.  I may lower the pop pressure
a bit while they are out.  After a year of pondering off and on over the experience, I don't believe the human eye is at all capable
of discerning anything but gross errors in the spray pattern within a few inches of the nozzle (where it matters).  I'm aware that any
errors are likely magnified further downstream, but I question how concern worthy a magnified error really is.

I'm going to drag my box-o-injectors down and maybe build another set or two.

Has anyone put any kinda miles on the Meyle nozzles?  That stuff is crap usually, but the India Bosch aren't just screaming great either.

Anyone figure out what the difference is between the A1 Rabbit era 1.6D nozzles and the A2 Golf/Jetta era 1.6D nozzles?
The part numbers are still different, so are the reman injectors. 

Oh, just put the LUK clutch in finally while i had it apart.  Looking at the wear on that Sachs
after under 5K miles, I imagine it would have ejected one of the springs, or the center section, inside 10K more
miles.  The LUK piece seems to be well made comparing the two.  I notice the damper springs are dual on the LUK.

Mentat Text Two

Fixmyvw.com