Author Topic: Playing with my pop tester  (Read 7658 times)

Reply #15May 24, 2013, 01:32:44 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Re: Re: Playing with my pop tester
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 01:32:44 pm »
Correct, but diesel alone was not sufficient lube to let the body halves tighten freely, was the issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #16May 24, 2013, 02:55:35 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

Re: Playing with my pop tester
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 02:55:35 pm »
One trick that I use to find leaks before installing the injectors is to put shaving cream on the two halves while pop testing them. Works most of the time and it's a lot less work than testing on the engine.

Reply #17May 24, 2013, 03:04:48 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 03:04:48 pm »
I'll give that a try, thanks.
I had held pressure on for a minute or so, little under break pressure, with the
pop tester and they didn't leak at the body joint, but they wept quick enough the
first time installed.  Heat and vibration maybe.  I feel a lot better about the torque spec
with lubed threads.  Should have just done it to start with, no different than a head bolt or such.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #18May 24, 2013, 03:22:55 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 03:22:55 pm »
So when are you setting up the business to take all our old injectors and make them spray perfect?  Seems like a good sideline now that you have the particulars under your belt.

Do you think at $45 an injector the shops really do as good as you would?  Buy that high speed camera as a business investment and write it off.  Send video with each injector you service as proof you did and do good work.

Reply #19May 24, 2013, 03:37:26 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 03:37:26 pm »
Business might be a strong word, but I'd like to do a few sets cheap for folks, if I can
break even on what I bought the tester for I'd be content.  I like fiddly OCD stuff like this,
even though I complain about it.  I had figured on setting up a video for each injector in the
least, my eye is out for a cheap high speed one but I have a feeling what is shows isn't going
to be pleasant, least not with cheap nozzles.  I'm gonna build another set and find someone
to be Guenna pig for me.

There's people out there that do this stuff for there automotive community, I know there are one or two
the Mercedes guys use on the easy coast.  They use Monarch nozzles or nothing, that is probably a clue.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #20May 24, 2013, 06:15:14 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 06:15:14 pm »
I'd like to procure some of the famed Monarc German nozzles and see how they spray/run.
I have a crap load of injector bodies to do something with now.

It's Monark btw. ;D

When I greased my Jetta at 180K miles I was able to get a set of Monark SD297 nozzles, installed and pop tested myself. I take them out every 10K miles to inspect and pop test them and they had good pattern, no drip the last 2 times I took them out. Didn't even take the injectors apart, just used a soft brass wire brush to remove the slight amount of carbon around the tip. Engine is at 210k now - time to take them out again to have a look. I bought my own pop tester (a commercial unit) so that I can be sure they're done right. I've never sent any injectors out. Hate the down time and not knowing what you got when you get them back. Too bad the person I got the Monark SD297's from can't get them anymore. LMK if you find a source.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 06:17:50 pm by 92EcoDiesel Jetta »

Reply #21May 24, 2013, 06:26:35 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 06:26:35 pm »
I was told MercedesSource could get em, will see eventually.
I've got a bunch of car guy contacts in Europe but I try and not my work stuff with my own
car stuff if I can manage it.

I'd like a finer reading gauge on this tester I have too.
I'm well within 25psi on all but one and that one is about 50
off at worst, I got sick of taking them apart.
Really wish I'd bought one of these years ago. 

Wonder if I can polish the bodies on a set... 
Mentat Text Two

Reply #22May 24, 2013, 06:50:43 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 06:50:43 pm »
WE had a discussion going about cleaning and doing stainless dip on them a bit back.  Now we're talking BLING

Reply #23May 24, 2013, 06:58:15 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 06:58:15 pm »
Not really my bag but I have seen some pretty enough engine bays with 1.6's that they'd fit in.

I'm not metallurgically inclined but they feel like metal that would polish up well. 

Mine have the patina of age, I stuck with brass brushes so just took off the crud.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #24May 24, 2013, 10:35:58 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 10:35:58 pm »
I think that was the final outcome, just polish brightly with brushes or wool or scrubbies and seal with something clear and heat proof.  See how they do.  Not sure it was ever done.

Reply #25May 24, 2013, 11:52:06 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 11:52:06 pm »
2nd testdrive down, starts good, runs good.
I'm in my paranoid stage of post-maintenance mind you, but it clatters more.
Cold and hot.
The KSB previously took almost all clatter out when it kicked in on cold start
in the mild climate here.  Zero in warm driving.  I've always thought the little NA AAZ
didn't sound like a 1.6 at all, and it sounds more like one now.  Is that bad?
I'm not sure.  There is still zero smoke, which is sort of comical.  I plan to back the
timing off and see how it sounds, if that does not pull some of the noise out of it
I'll be concerned.  If it does, will try and get it to smoke at least a little on WOT.

The clatter makes no sense, I raised pop pressure, unless my gauge is wrong.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #26May 25, 2013, 03:18:28 am

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 03:18:28 am »
Well one out of the four new Indian Bosch nozzles doesn't spray well so far.  I don't think I'm surprised.  Debating weather to order more or try the Chezch made Meyle brand.

If a new nozzle "doesn't spray too well" it is almost certainly because you introduced some foreign material into it. This is VERY easy to do, and the reason that it's best to only change nozzles if you can test them to assure yourself that they are right before you use them. There is a reason that they do this work in a clean room. Take that one back apart and clean everything with carb cleaner and blow it dry, then wash it down with WD-40 or some other aerosol lubricant as your reassemble it. Try not to lean over the injector when assembling it and make sure your hands are ABSOLUTELY clean before you start.

Reply #27May 25, 2013, 04:01:08 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 04:01:08 am »
Done that, twenty times over. The set installed now were never disassembled, went from container to injector body.
Cleanliness was not an issue.
They all spray about the same too after prolonged observation. They look about like the ones I had in there the last 50k or so.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Mentat Text Two

Reply #28May 25, 2013, 04:38:03 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2013, 04:38:03 am »
With higher presure,  the delivery pipe rings a little harder when it gets whacked by the pressure  drop.
Hows that for a theory?

Reply #29May 25, 2013, 11:50:43 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2013, 11:50:43 am »
With higher presure, the delivery pipe rings a little harder when it gets whacked by the pressure  drop.
Hows that for a theory?

Awesome theory, I've heard that ping and wondered on other motors, I hear it on this one too now.

There is still a marbely diesel clatter there now that wasn't present before. I've heard it often
enough and it isn't exactly un-good in my opinion, but I'm curious why it's there now and wasn't before.

Mentat Text Two